Has anyone ever had to tell a little white lie about their trip to WDW?

bethymouse

I booked our trip for June 9-14. I thought we'd be out of school, but turns out we have to make up 5 snow days not 3!:( When we went September 2012, I did not lie to my boss about taking off ( I had never done this before, and will never do it again sadly). She was livid! But, I did it anyway because I had the days to take! I may have to take a day or 2 off ( June 10 & 11). The kids last day should be June 6 w/ a teacher day on the 7th. I will not be there for prep and closing ( teacher days). I will have to call it "emergency leave" and come up w/ a lie unfortunately!:( I know it's horrible, but it's been a tough year, and I am so looking forward to my trip! I may even be switching schools for next year and would have to uproot my boys as well. Any thoughts, comments, own experiences would be appreciated!;)

bethymouse

Original Poster
That stinks and I really hope you can make it work. Or better yet change schools, it's no fun knowing your boss doesn't rate you.:(

When I said about telling people your emergency, I meant what would you tell your co-workers? Wouldn't they be concerned about you? That is what I meant. Then you might have to craft a story. I don't know the specifics of your situation.
I guess I'm getting to the point that I wouldn't say anything to anyone. If I came back, then I'd tell them everything wss OK. But yes you are right. Some would be concerned.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

She might mistrust you going forward.
She has already told me , " I trust my 'veteran teachers' 100% of the time. I trust you about 95% of the time!". Yep- I was floored when she said that a while back. I may have only been working at that school for 3 years, and in the county for 3 1/2, but I had been teaching since 1991 ( 20 plus years of experience). She's just a meanie that's all! :( My gut tells me to go ahead and do it, but try not to tell a lie, and just tell her I won't be in those teacher days due to a family situation. She'll probably ask what it is...
I will assure her of course that the work will be done and that no one else will have to do it!
At this point, however, I am thinking about changing schools!:( It's been pretty tough. Almost borderline harassment!:( Sorry to rant on about this, but my family time is more important than my job ( as long as I get the job done-which I always do!).
Beth, I remember what you went thru last year, and she sure didnt seem like a bed of roses then, nevermind now. For her to say she trusts you 95% of the time, is a slap in the face, IMHO. Understand, what you do to entitle you to take off time due to you, isnt her concern, however, you wouldnt want to lie, get caught, and it follow you to your new school. If it were me, I would change your vacation days, or, at the very least, tell this woman, you made these plans prior to any snow days being added to the school calendar. The least she can do is say, no. I sure hope everything works out!!!

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

You should not have to lie. It is not your fault there were more snow days then planned. Just tell your boss that you booked the trip and paid for it thinking that you would be done with school by then. Life is unpredictable and anyone boss or otherwise that can't go with the flow and let these small matters go should find a different job. Just look at it with the attitude that there are plenty of subs out there that would love to work and have the money.

Upvote 0

draybook

This thread is making me so happy about my job. Once we have our vacation locked in the system, there's no turning back. Even if we have 5-6 people call in, that's their problem. I was once able to slyly take off for a whole month at once. I put two weeks in and got them approved and then did the other 2 in 1 week blocks. My manager approved it and then realized what I had done. They have since implemented what is known as the "Booker rule", so you can't take more than 2 weeks at a time without it being FMLA or workman's comp.

I can't speak on your situation, because I don't know how it is with teachers, but I'd tell them I'm going on vacation and there's nothing to stop me.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I booked our trip for June 9-14. I thought we'd be out of school, but turns out we have to make up 5 snow days not 3!:( When we went September 2012, I did not lie to my boss about taking off ( I had never done this before, and will never do it again sadly). She was livid! But, I did it anyway because I had the days to take! I may have to take a day or 2 off ( June 10 & 11). The kids last day should be June 6 w/ a teacher day on the 7th. I will not be there for prep and closing ( teacher days). I will have to call it "emergency leave" and come up w/ a lie unfortunately!:( I know it's horrible, but it's been a tough year, and I am so looking forward to my trip! I may even be switching schools for next year and would have to uproot my boys as well. Any thoughts, comments, own experiences would be appreciated!;)

I have no issue with you doing what ever you need to do to take some time off, especially if you have the time. But, when I was a teacher and my friends who teach, they are not permitted to take time off surrounding a vacation or the end/beginning of school. Yes, there are emergancies, as I understand you will be saying, but just out of curiosity, can you not bump your trip back a couple of days?

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Unfortunately, the days are given to my hubby to take. We have no choice when it comes to his vacation days.:( We would just have to cancel all together!:( I am not willing to do that, since it's only 2 teacher days, and it doesn't cost the county anything!:eek:

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Beth, I remember what you went thru last year, and she sure didnt seem like a bed of roses then, nevermind now. For her to say she trusts you 95% of the time, is a slap in the face, IMHO. Understand, what you do to entitle you to take off time due to you, isnt her concern, however, you wouldnt want to lie, get caught, and it follow you to your new school. If it were me, I would change your vacation days, or, at the very least, tell this woman, you made these plans prior to any snow days being added to the school calendar. The least she can do is say, no. I sure hope everything works out!!!
Thanks my Disney friend. The last time it was "leave without cause" days. It was an entire week ( 5 days) and I had taken my boys out of school. (15th anniversary):):( This time, it's the 2 teacher days after the kids are done. We have 1 IS day which is considered "instructional" w/ no students! I was hoping to complete all of my paperwork and such on that day, as well as the days that week after school. Well, we'll just have to wait and see, but I am not cancelling or postponing my trip.:eek:

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
You should not have to lie. It is not your fault there were more snow days then planned. Just tell your boss that you booked the trip and paid for it thinking that you would be done with school by then. Life is unpredictable and anyone boss or otherwise that can't go with the flow and let these small matters go should find a different job. Just look at it with the attitude that there are plenty of subs out there that would love to work and have the money.
She is a boss that unfortunately does not"go with the flow". Yet every Friday like clockwork, she goes to get her hair and nails done at 2:30. It hasn't been easy working for this lady, but the kids ( my students) are just so amazing!;) This would not require any subs to come in on "teacher" days where there will be no students!;)

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
This thread is making me so happy about my job. Once we have our vacation locked in the system, there's no turning back. Even if we have 5-6 people call in, that's their problem. I was once able to slyly take off for a whole month at once. I put two weeks in and got them approved and then did the other 2 in 1 week blocks. My manager approved it and then realized what I had done. They have since implemented what is known as the "Booker rule", so you can't take more than 2 weeks at a time without it being FMLA or workman's comp.

I can't speak on your situation, because I don't know how it is with teachers, but I'd tell them I'm going on vacation and there's nothing to stop me.
AMEN!:D

Upvote 0

durangojim

I'm confused, are you a teacher or are your kids just in school? If it's just your kids, just tell the teacher the truth. That's what we do and I tell my kids if they work hard in school and get good grades we can do things like take them out for a week or two and go on vacation. As for telling your boss, I don't know how to deal with that.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Thanks my Disney friend. The last time it was "leave without cause" days. It was an entire week ( 5 days) and I had taken my boys out of school. (15th anniversary):):( This time, it's the 2 teacher days after the kids are done. We have 1 IS day which is considered "instructional" w/ no students! I was hoping to complete all of my paperwork and such on that day, as well as the days that week after school. Well, we'll just have to wait and see, but I am not cancelling or postponing my trip.:eek:
Can you request the day off this week? Ive been trying to think what you could say that would just be a white lie. Just tell her thats the only time DH could get time off and if you changed your dates now (not realizing snow days had to be made up) you will lose money, as its paid off and nonrefundable. (theres the white lie). And thank her in advance for her *understanding*... do this all with a smile on your face :)

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

I don't know about WV, but in GA if you got caught, you would not only lose your job, but it would be put into your file and finding another job would be close to impossible. Knowing your boss doesn't trust you already, you will be taking a huge risk that she won't require proof of the emergency when you return. She probably wouldn't ask before, as you could then change your mind. Afterward, there would be nothing you could do. When I was still teaching in the public school system, we were not allowed to take the Friday before or Monday after any holiday without proof of need. We also weren't allowed to take the week before the students started or the week after school ended. She already doesn't trust you. This would be playing right into her hands. You have to decide how important your job and reputation are to you. This is a huge risk.
Is there anyway she would allow you to work the couple of Saturdays before that week. Maybe if you make up the days in advance, she will allow you to go.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom