Has anyone ever had to tell a little white lie about their trip to WDW?

bethymouse

I booked our trip for June 9-14. I thought we'd be out of school, but turns out we have to make up 5 snow days not 3!:( When we went September 2012, I did not lie to my boss about taking off ( I had never done this before, and will never do it again sadly). She was livid! But, I did it anyway because I had the days to take! I may have to take a day or 2 off ( June 10 & 11). The kids last day should be June 6 w/ a teacher day on the 7th. I will not be there for prep and closing ( teacher days). I will have to call it "emergency leave" and come up w/ a lie unfortunately!:( I know it's horrible, but it's been a tough year, and I am so looking forward to my trip! I may even be switching schools for next year and would have to uproot my boys as well. Any thoughts, comments, own experiences would be appreciated!;)

Nemo14

Since we're talking school here, what do you all think of the news that Chicago is closing 54 schools? They have to reduce $1 billion.

That's happening all over the country, but probably not to this extreme. I know my city has closed roughly one third of the schools here in the past 4 years.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
My Brother and His wife are both Teachers and they are running into some issues with a Spring break trip they had planned becasue of make up days from The Hurricane and That Horrible Blizzard!!

Last I knew the were still going But they were upset about how the whole thing played out!!

Good luck and have a nice trip!!
I'm sorry to hear that.:( Please tell them not to cancel, and go enjoy! I truly empathize w/ them!:(

Upvote 0

George

Liker of Things
Don't know if anyone has mentioned yet, but here's the safest best solution (even though you won't like it). Tell your boss the truth. If they don't let you go, your husband and boys go and you join them as soon as you can. My wife and I both work and have had to do things like this a couple of times. Since you are a teacher and it sounds like your husband has an inflexible schedule, you could take them for a week or so during the summer sometime whilst he is working. It sounds to me like the risks of lying are too great and your husband can't change plans.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Just heard that they are going!! Whats the sense of a school district opening for ONE day in the entire week and on wed. right dab in the middle ???!!
It just makes no sense to me. The government makes the schools go 180 days regardless, even if the kids are being" baby-sat" with movies and parties, and such! They are not learning a thing!:eek:

Upvote 0

luv

Just don't forget that you could end up fired here. If the trip schedule is worth risking your job over, then go, have fun, don't worry about it!

If you want to be sure you won't get yourself fired, talk to your boss and stay if you must. You can always fly out a day or two later and meet your family in Orlando, couldn't you?

We don't want to see you back here unhappy because you have no job.

Upvote 0

riess424

I booked our trip for June 9-14. I thought we'd be out of school, but turns out we have to make up 5 snow days not 3!:( When we went September 2012, I did not lie to my boss about taking off ( I had never done this before, and will never do it again sadly). She was livid! But, I did it anyway because I had the days to take! I may have to take a day or 2 off ( June 10 & 11). The kids last day should be June 6 w/ a teacher day on the 7th. I will not be there for prep and closing ( teacher days). I will have to call it "emergency leave" and come up w/ a lie unfortunately!:( I know it's horrible, but it's been a tough year, and I am so looking forward to my trip! I may even be switching schools for next year and would have to uproot my boys as well. Any thoughts, comments, own experiences would be appreciated!;)
5 snow days!!!!!!wow

Upvote 0

Todd L

It just makes no sense to me. The government makes the schools go 180 days regardless, even if the kids are being" baby-sat" with movies and parties, and such! They are not learning a thing!:eek:
Thats Exactly what they do on these days too...I hear that they expect less than 40% of the kids to actually show on wed. How can you teach to less than half a class??

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Just thought I'd let everyone know that our school board has added another instructional day- June 7- to make up for the March 6 snow day!:mad: This is getting ridiculous!:mad:

Upvote 0

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Since we're talking school here, what do you all think of the news that Chicago is closing 54 schools? They have to reduce $1 billion.
Think it is funnier that the mayor released the closings after he left for a ski vacation. Coward. And that Duf has visions of becoming the next Commander in Chief. :eek:

Upvote 0

PUSH

Just thought I'd let everyone know that our school board has added another instructional day- June 7- to make up for the March 6 snow day!:mad: This is getting ridiculous!:mad:

I know how it is with snow day makeups. My mom has been going through the same thing this winter. Every time it snows we go into panic mode because she can't take off those days without going unpaid. We don't want to reschedule our vacation either. A makeup day has already been rescheduled for April first (was just a teacher work day). There is also a teacher work day tacked onto the Monday after school gets out, but I think she's just taking an unpaid day so it doesn't screw up our Disney plans. We'd be paying about the same thing in hotel costs (because of discounts), if we would reschedule the trip anyway.

Again, good luck with all of this! I sympathize for you!

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
PUSH:
If I had to take an unpaid day, I would. I guess it would be like a sort of "protest" against the system. I just wish there was a better way to "make up" these snow days.:(
Thank you for your thoughts. I am right there w/ your Mom! She's not alone!;)

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

5 snow days!!!!!!wow
This winter has been totally wacky. I am used to snow being from the Midwest. (Think our record for snow days when I was young was 10 but they only had us make up 7, hehe). But right now it is snowing hard where I live and it's nearly April. It's like winter decided to shift a month. November was really mild but March had been snowy and damn freaking cold. Darn that groundhog! He lied to me! *shakes fist angrily* ;)

Upvote 0

PUSH

They should just have school on Saturdays and not lengthen the year.

If schools where I live have another school day, then they are going to make it up on a Saturday. Which doesn't really make sense to me for a couple of reasons.
- Administrators have to come in an extra day, when they would already be working in the summer
- So many people have things going on every Saturday. Do you really expect students to put their lives on hold so that they can get an extra day of school in? This applies to teachers, too.

Of course, I wouldn't want it put on the end of the year either, especially when people have certain vacations going on. :p

There's really no good way of making them up. No matter what people are going to be upset/angry.

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

Well, we had another snow day! Not sure how we'll make up that one! Yikes! What a crazy winter!:eek:
Curious bethy, so now where does this put you? Think now your snow days takes your right up til the day before your vacation? Or maybe two days before? Are you approaching the point where may need to get flight for yourself down later than your family?

Still would caution... Tell your boss sooner rather than later and come with a plan with multiple options for how you are going make it up to her.

Upvote 0

ratherbeinwdw

If schools where I live have another school day, then they are going to make it up on a Saturday. Which doesn't really make sense to me for a couple of reasons.
- Administrators have to come in an extra day, when they would already be working in the summer
Coming from someone who taught for many years and spent weeks of my summer getting ready for the next term, with no additional pay, I have no sympathy for the administrators in this case.
- So many people have things going on every Saturday. Do you really expect students to put their lives on hold so that they can get an extra day of school in? This applies to teachers, too.
Yes. I do expect the students and teachers to put school first. I know I'm old school here, but that's the way we were. We did what was needed. They are already being paid for those days, so if one had another job on the weekend, then get a sub as he/she would at the end of the year. We're only talking about 2 or 3 days.
Some parents would be thrilled to have a Saturday or two to do errands without the kids.

Of course, I wouldn't want it put on the end of the year either, especially when people have certain vacations going on. :p

There's really no good way of making them up. No matter what people are going to be upset/angry.
This is very true. You won't be able to please everyone. It was just a way to keep from ruining expensive vacations.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom