Has anyone ever had to tell a little white lie about their trip to WDW?

bethymouse

I booked our trip for June 9-14. I thought we'd be out of school, but turns out we have to make up 5 snow days not 3!:( When we went September 2012, I did not lie to my boss about taking off ( I had never done this before, and will never do it again sadly). She was livid! But, I did it anyway because I had the days to take! I may have to take a day or 2 off ( June 10 & 11). The kids last day should be June 6 w/ a teacher day on the 7th. I will not be there for prep and closing ( teacher days). I will have to call it "emergency leave" and come up w/ a lie unfortunately!:( I know it's horrible, but it's been a tough year, and I am so looking forward to my trip! I may even be switching schools for next year and would have to uproot my boys as well. Any thoughts, comments, own experiences would be appreciated!;)

Nemo14

Are you sure that there aren't any of those spies on this board?

If I were trying to keep this trip quiet, I would not mention anything at work about Disney, nor post to FB, twitter, etc. I don't do FB, but I think that it gets people in a lot of trouble in a lot of ways.

If they didn't say anything when she took a week off at the beginning of the school year, they probably won't say anything about taking off days at the end of the year either.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

Since you asked for thoughts...here's mine.

First I don't like the thought of you using an "emergency leave" for a family vacation. I think it brings bad karma and you should remember that when your family really does have an emergency and you know you used those days to go to Disney World. Also, I would think you'd have to have a reason so what do you say? To you pretend a relative is sick or dead...not something I would ever do, personally but I know some people don't have any problem with faking emergencies to get some playtime.

My sister also works in schools and we have found fantastic deals for Disney trips that we just can't do because she can't get the time off. It sucks but her job is an important one and we will get to go to Disney again...just not at that particular time. She understands what the job entails and while there are perks (like having summers off to spend with her daughter) there are also drawbacks and this is one of them.

I think honesty is the best option. Tell your boss the trip is booked, paid in full and that you obviously had no idea there would be extra days to make up. Then you offer something to make it up whether it be to do some extra work before you go or to help out with something else. You are asking for a favour and you should be prepared to reciprocate. She doesn't trust you already for some reason so if you are not prepared with some options of how you can make it up to her she has absolutely no reason to help you or be on your side. That's how favours work, especially in work situations - you need to be prepared to give if you want to receive.

Finally I think you need to anticipate the repercussions and accept them. If you lie and go anyway and it ends up being the worst case scenario (fired with poor recommendations on your record) then that's the bed you made and you need to lie in it. Obviously that is the worst possible thing I could imagine but even something smaller like your current boss telling the boss at your new school that you are a liar and will skip work to jet off to Disney World could make your life an unpleasant one.

Of course, we all hope the best case scenario works out for you but in case it doesn't you should be prepared for the consequences however you choose to deal with this situation.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Lies are sometimes necessary and trip savers. Once we had to lie to a couple about going on a trip. When we were asked if we were going to Disney one year, we said probably not, even though we had already made the decision to go. Then when it was very near the trip date, we said the trip was booked at the last minute, knowing they couldnt go at that point, because we were afraid they might want to join us. We had vacationed with them before and they had made that trip less than enjoyable. Hey... it's a Disney trip... do what you have to.... just make sure you cross your fingers behind your back when you tell it .... that always makes it alright.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

I also wanted to say I know what it's like to have a hard for a boss. Mine can be a complete b___h! I wanted to take my Disney trip this year in the winter because I live in Canada and I want to be somewhere sunny and fun for the winter but my boss said:

"NO!!! Winter is our busiest time of year and you can't take your vacation now, you can take it in the summer when things slow down AND you have to be prepared to do some work while you are there...not a lot but some. So take it or leave it that's the way things are!"

So I'm going to Disney in June instead. (Though I did sneak away for a mini vacation last week at the last minute.) :p

btw - I'm self employed so most of that conversation was in my head because arguing with myself out loud makes people look at me funny.

Upvote 0

kashmir

I am also a teacher - We are not allowed to take off 10 days prior to school opening or ten days at the end of the year. We also cannot take days before any holiday. None of my family vacations interfered with my job days, without honest consultation with my principal over one teachers-only day one year to clean the room that I made up with a week of light help the week we came back. I had already cleared my room by then and it didn't cause any hardships for anyone.

My husband does not do trips spontaneously because he does not want to inconvenience anyone in his business. My husband sounds like I_heart_Tigger!

Upvote 0

Mawg

We have a family reunion at Disney World this Summer, there are 3 teachers in the group. I was really pushing for the 1st week of June since most schools aren't out yet but for this group all of them would be done and maybe the crowds would be a little lighter. The exception was if there were any snow days then they would have to work into the first week of June. Hesitantly, I agreed to the second week of June as I did not want to book it and then have to change ADR's later and perhaps not get what we wanted. Guess what there were snow days and the first week would be out of the question now. Thankfully I don't have to redo the ADR's because there would be no way I would have gotten the reservation for Be or Guest for 13 people this late in the game.

Upvote 0

Cindee75

As a manager of a a small staff team in a larger facility I would say don't do it. If you get caught it may ruin your reputation for a long time. However, I understand family comes first and you need to do what is right for them. Good luck. I know your boss seems like she is unreasonable and your experience is yours but I always want my staff to talk with me. But I have been accused by other managers as being too flexible - you can never win:oops:

Upvote 0

bubbles1812

Since you asked for thoughts...here's mine.

First I don't like the thought of you using an "emergency leave" for a family vacation. I think it brings bad karma and you should remember that when your family really does have an emergency and you know you used those days to go to Disney World. Also, I would think you'd have to have a reason so what do you say? To you pretend a relative is sick or dead...not something I would ever do, personally but I know some people don't have any problem with faking emergencies to get some playtime.

My sister also works in schools and we have found fantastic deals for Disney trips that we just can't do because she can't get the time off. It sucks but her job is an important one and we will get to go to Disney again...just not at that particular time. She understands what the job entails and while there are perks (like having summers off to spend with her daughter) there are also drawbacks and this is one of them.

I think honesty is the best option. Tell your boss the trip is booked, paid in full and that you obviously had no idea there would be extra days to make up. Then you offer something to make it up whether it be to do some extra work before you go or to help out with something else. You are asking for a favour and you should be prepared to reciprocate. She doesn't trust you already for some reason so if you are not prepared with some options of how you can make it up to her she has absolutely no reason to help you or be on your side. That's how favours work, especially in work situations - you need to be prepared to give if you want to receive.

Finally I think you need to anticipate the repercussions and accept them. If you lie and go anyway and it ends up being the worst case scenario (fired with poor recommendations on your record) then that's the bed you made and you need to lie in it. Obviously that is the worst possible thing I could imagine but even something smaller like your current boss telling the boss at your new school that you are a liar and will skip work to jet off to Disney World could make your life an unpleasant one.

Of course, we all hope the best case scenario works out for you but in case it doesn't you should be prepared for the consequences however you choose to deal with this situation.

This^^ Job security is a precious thing in this crazy world. And as wonderful as Disney World is, it seems like a poor way to risk not only your current job but your reputation going forward should you want a different one. And I'm going to guess those future employers will want recommendations from your last one. Imagine that scenario for a sec if you are found out... "Yeah she is a known liar who places more importance on Disney World, something that is there 365 days a year including summer break, over her job and responsibilities to her students and fellow faculty. At the very least, she schedules her vacations during a time when there is a known possibility of make up days. Totally hire her. Not." Instant ruination of career.

And your boss sounds the type to do that! I am truly sorry your boss isn't nice. I worked as a lifeguard during my teen years and if you weren't a chosen favorite of the manager, man she made your life miserable. Obviously not quite the same as your situation but just trying to say I empathize.

I really think honesty is the best solution. You said she didn't like it, but at the same time she let you go the last time you went on a Disney trip. But you got through it, and noticeably, you are still employed. So she got through it too. And at least your boss knows you are an honest person even if she doesn't quite trust you. As she said above, come with offers of how you are going to make it up to her. Maybe offer a couple different options.

I've seen your posts and know what a sweet person you are @bethymouse, and I won't make judgements on you whichever way you go. But I will say it again... As wonderful a place it is, Disney World is simply not worth jeopardizing your career over. This isn't like lying to just get your kids out of school. This is your career. Your reputation. The implications if you get caught could be enormous. I guess you have to decide for yourself if Disney is worth it. For me, it would not be.

**Also, I recommend telling your boss sooner rather than later, should you choose to. The sooner you tell her, the more professional you look, and the sooner you can offer to do things as a way to make up for it.

Upvote 0

Unomas

Just get a sub for that time. You booked when the schedule said you were free. That's not your fault. Those last couple of days typically have very little going on. No biggie. Just be honest.

Upvote 0

moonwishes2013

As a manager of a a small staff team in a larger facility I would say don't do it. If you get caught it may ruin your reputation for a long time. However, I understand family comes first and you need to do what is right for them. Good luck. I know your boss seems like she is unreasonable and your experience is yours but I always want my staff to talk with me. But I have been accused by other managers as being too flexible - you can never win:oops:

I have been in management & you are right--YOU CAN NEVER WIN!!
If you work with your employees, by some you are consider to be to soft & if you do not - by some you are consider to be a B-word.
I agree with being honest, I might not like what you say or do but I would respect you more than if you lied.
1. if I found out you lied, & eventually it will come out, I would be wondering every time you spoke - Is this a lie or the truth.
2. If asked for recommendations, I will tell what I think of your work & if you can be trusted.

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Just get a sub for that time
That's the thing. I wouldn't need a sub. I'd be saving the county money on that!:eek: These are the teacher days where we finish permanent records and close up the classroom for the summer. I am able to do those things on my own time before or after school and even into the following week. The work will get done!:eek:

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
Are you sure that there aren't any of those spies on this board?

If I were trying to keep this trip quiet, I would not mention anything at work about Disney, nor post to FB, twitter, etc. I don't do FB, but I think that it gets people in a lot of trouble in a lot of ways.
Yes. Facebook does.
If there are spies on here, then I'm doomed!:(

Upvote 0

bethymouse

Original Poster
"emergency leave"
Our county has a strange leave system. It all falls under "personal leave" with different reasons. Many times teachers put in for days that are "vacation" days during school days and it's labeled all kinds of reasons! We just sign the paper that reaffirms for the Board's records that we took those days off. Everything is computerized now including paychecks. You have to check online for the leave days you have. I have 44!:eek: There are no particular "rules" for leave days. Personal leave is not specified as other jobs may only give you 3 or 4 ( as my husband's). The only restrictions are with Leave Without Cause Days. We get one per year. I had accumulated 6 over my years here in the county, so I used them for my last vacation.;) Now I have 1 left plus another "flex" day to take. Those have to be approved by the principal 1st.
I would be just telling my boss out of "courtesy" why I was taking leave.;)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom