Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Reviews and *SPOILERS*

Wilt Dasney

Dizknee_Phreek said:
Overall I enjoyed it, although it's no where near my favorite...that honor still goes to Prisoner of Azkaban, for several reasons ... But yeah, I enjoyed 6, and I'd say it's probably my fourth favorite.

Our lists might be pretty similar. After much deliberation, here are the official Wiltology rankings of the books:

1. Prisoner
2. Goblet
3. Stone
4. Prince
5. Chamber
6. Order

Dizknee_Phreek

Wilt Dasney said:
Our lists might be pretty similar. After much deliberation, here are the official Wiltology rankings of the books:

1. Prisoner
2. Goblet
3. Stone
4. Prince
5. Chamber
6. Order
Close...here's my official rankings:

1. PoA
2. SS
3. CoS
4. HBP
5. GoF
6. OotP

Dizknee_Phreek

Pongo said:
I think the last three pages of HBP were the WORST I have ever read in my life. They absolutely sucked and I was fuming when I finished the book. I was really angry at JKR for just ending it so abruptly.
Ya know, I noticed that too. It did end very suddenly. I mean, most of the others have ended at the train station, haven't they? Maybe that just wouldn't have fit in with this ending. Who knows? I personally can't say that that was the worst I have ever read. I was ok with this ending. I wasn't ok with the ending in #5, though...and it wasn't that it ended all of a sudden, but more because everyone was kind of like "Oh well, Sirius died...that happens...too bad." Not even Lupin seemed all that upset about it. And everyone just seemed to accept it immediately (except for Harry), whereas it seemed to take a little more time for Dumbledore's death to sink in. I dunno...that just miffed me a bit.

CaptainMichael

The ending may have been abrupt, but that was necessary. This book was our link to the final installment from the previous 5. It was a cliff-hanger ending so to speak. It left us wide open with questions. The seventh will probably start off where HBP left off. The trio might head straight to Hogsmeade from the funeral and apparate to Privet Drive to begin their long and difficult journey. I know Harry and Ron haven't taken their test yet, but I don't think that will be necessary at this point.

MCBRIZZ5

STR8FAN2005 said:
I know Harry and Ron haven't taken their test yet, but I don't think that will be necessary at this point.
Yea I think that maybe Harry proved he can apparate.:) However since no one knows about that, he may still have to take the test to be legal, though he probably won't take the test.

CaptainMichael

MCBRIZZ5 said:
Yea I think that maybe Harry proved he can apparate.:) However since no one knows about that, he may still have to take the test to be legal, though he probably won't take the test.

Do you think Harry Potter cares about the Ministry of Magic??? In my opinion, it would be a waste of time to go take the test. In fact, they may fail him unless he agrees to be their spokesman. The Ministry of Magic is like the United Nations. They're both failed governing bodies.

And we know Ron can apparate, but he cracks under pressure just like in Quidditch. He isn't very confident.

FutureCEO

STR8FAN2005 said:
Do you think Harry Potter cares about the Ministry of Magic??? In my opinion, it would be a waste of time to go take the test. In fact, they may fail him unless he agrees to be their spokesman. The Ministry of Magic is like the United Nations. They're both failed governing bodies.
QUOTE]

:lol: their is another oganization that has failed too.

MiRi

Pongo said:
I also think (and I'm hoping as well) that Harry dies in the seventh book. It seems like it would be the only right ending.

I hope not. It would totally ruin the series for me.

CaptainMichael

FutureCEO said:
STR8FAN2005 said:
QUOTE]

:lol: their is another oganization that has failed too.

I can think of many at this point in time. The US government has been quite stagnant lately. This can be attributed to both parties not being able to get along. Meanwhile, we the people suffer.

Number_6

Dizknee_Phreek said:
- Dumbledore is dead. The theories about him still being alive are extremely interesting and well thought out and make for some great discussion, but she said before the book came out that someone would be gone for good in this one (which leads me to believe that other "deaths" *cough*Sirius*cough* weren't "for good"). I think his portrait showing up that night in the headmistress' office solidified his death. Though, it would be wonderful to have him back...I loved reading his comments, especially in this book. Has anyone noticed how he and JKR seem to be so much alike?

She has said that Sirius is indeed dead. As for someone being gone "for good" in this book, remember that there was another death... Aragog. ;)

CaptainMichael

Number_6 said:
She has said that Sirius is indeed dead. As for someone being gone "for good" in this book, remember that there was another death... Aragog. ;)

I suppose the reason for his death was for Harry to get the Horcrux memory from Slughorn.

On a side note, how does one know if an item is a Horcrux. Is it just guess work? Or is there a way to find out if you've really destroyed one. It just seems very very very very difficult to me to find these things. Glad I don't have to look for them!

AndyP

Number_6 said:
Cedric(Avada Kedavra), smoky glove(Wormtail's new hand), Frank Bryce(Avada Kedavra), Bertha Jorkins(Avada Kedavra), Lily Potter(Avada Kedavra) and finally James Potter(Avada Kedavra). If it is supposed to show all previously cast spells, then where's the one for Harry? If it was cast, it would show, even if it backfired. So therefore, the spell was never cast and he did not try to kill Harry. :D

The spell was cast at Harry, but killed Lilly. So maybe thats why. If he had killed Lilly separately then she wouldn't have died protecting Harry, she wouldn't have sacrificed herself. Hence why Harry is not listed. Thats what I think.

Raven66

AndyP said:
The spell was cast at Harry, but killed Lilly. So maybe thats why. If he had killed Lilly separately then she wouldn't have died protecting Harry, she wouldn't have sacrificed herself. Hence why Harry is not listed. Thats what I think.

I thought that he went there to get Harry, but Lilly was protecting him so he had to kill Lilly and then tried to kill Harry. But it back fired and that is why he has been so "weak". Am I not understanding it right?

Halfling418

Raven66 said:
I thought that he went there to get Harry, but Lilly was protecting him so he had to kill Lilly and then tried to kill Harry. But it back fired and that is why he has been so "weak". Am I not understanding it right?

Yep.

Pongo

My order:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Chamber of Secrets
4. Order of the Phoenix (it only beats SS because I like the ending)
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Half-Blood Prince

I didn't like HBP that much.

One other thing: Did anyone else notice that Harry's birthday wasn't mentioned AT ALL in this book?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom