Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Reviews and *SPOILERS*

Dizknee_Phreek

Number_6 said:
She has said that Sirius is indeed dead.
She's contradicted herself with her answers about Sirius. In one interveiw she said that he was "definitley dead and not coming back". Then in another interview she said we'd see more of Sirius, but she wasn't going to tell in what form...but she made it seem like he'd be coming back somehow (and if she meant in form of memories, then she should have just said so.) So who knows what she's got up her sleeves? I wish I had direct links to where she's said those two things, but I get all my interview info from the main HP fansites and from her official site.

MiRi

Dizknee_Phreek said:
She's contradicted herself with her answers about Sirius. In one interveiw she said that he was "definitley dead and not coming back". Then in another interview she said we'd see more of Sirius, but she wasn't going to tell in what form...but she made it seem like he'd be coming back somehow (and if she meant in form of memories, then she should have just said so.) So who knows what she's got up her sleeves? I wish I had direct links to where she's said those two things, but I get all my interview info from the main HP fansites and from her official site.

Hmmm.... maybe he's coming back in portrait form... or a ghost! There's two possiblities right there.

Dizknee_Phreek

MiRi said:
Hmmm.... maybe he's coming back in portrait form... or a ghost! There's two possiblities right there.
Good thoughts, but I believe the portrait possibility was ruled out somewhere along the way (can't remember where/when, though). The ghost possibility was ruled out by Nearly Headless Nick at the end of book 5. :(
My thoughts were that he may "come back" through memories (which would be lame), or Bellatrix may have turned him into an Inferi, since we still have no clue what that spell was that hit him (and if that's the case, I'll be highly upset with JKR).
She keeps insisting that we'll find out why he had to "die", so I guess we will eventually find out....there'd just better be a good reason behind it. *casts threatening glare at JKR*

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
OK,
Just finished the other day (so I was in WDW starting on the 17th...so sue me), anyway I can now wander through this thread and add my two cents.

While I love Dumbledore, and there was some smoke and mirrors about his death, I believe both he and Sirius are gone...but can communicate in a limited fashion by the portrait and through whatever special charms may have been left. I just think it would be "cheap" for JKR to bring him back at this point.

I also have to jump on the bandwagon for Snape (sorry STR8). While painting Dumbledore as the wonderful kind "uncle", in every book, it was Snape that either saved Harry behind the scenes, brought the real information to light. or by being the best teacher in the school gave Harry and others the tools needed to protect themselves.

I believe that after his "exile" and the resolution of Harry/Voldemort, that Snape will become the next Headmaster of Hogwarts. He is a very serious student and as strong in magic as anyone other than Dumbledore. Just from potions, think of all the spells and potions he has discovered or improved. Harry et al. have a hard time even copying existing magic. I felt for him after the twist in the first book and it has only been reinforced since. By whatever luck, he was put in Slytherin...so it's like he's starting off with two strikes, he's badly mistreated by Harry's father and friends (like a Slytherin Neville), he's at least as studious as Hermione and probably smarter. There has always been a great mutual respect between Snape and Dumbledore although it has been downplayed.

Generally, I enjoyed the book, and it provides a necessary transition. I wasn't crazy about the amount of time spent on snogging...yes I get the point, but get on with it already. More in this book than others, I was irritated by the inability of Harry to ask the right questions of Dumbledore. He sure had access, instead of his loose theories on Snape and Malfoy, why didn't he ask D. about the HBP? Why didn't he ask anything about Malfoy using the room? At critical moments, Harry isn't very good at trusting his friends it seems. And what about his reoccurring fixations. First it was V., then Malfoy this whole book, now its only Snape. That type of behavior only gives tunnel vision, and an increased chance of being blindsided.

While I'm ranting, with all these powers, how can the wizarding world be so stupid? The only people that have any kind of organization are the Death Eaters and the Order (although the Order is a pretty rag tag bunch of misfits that have to remain hidden). If the ministry can detect some simple obscure event caused by Harry or Ron, why can they find any of these powerful wizards, Dementors or the like.

So moving forward, what are the key factors to be explored in book 7?

Snape good/bad
Harry/V showdown
New Minister?
Ron and Hermione...and Ginny
Resolution of the deaths Dumbledore, Sirius, Aragog
Draco and the rest of the Malfoys
Future of Hogwarts?
Is this the Wheasley's rise to eminence?

One thought that I hope is not realized....I hope the book doesn't close as a repeat of the cycle as in the Dark Tower series...where conclusion of these events and characters only lead to the creation of a new "Voldemort" et al.

Erika

ClemsonTigger said:
OK,
Just finished the other day (so I was in WDW starting on the 17th...so sue me), anyway I can now wander through this thread and add my two cents.

While I love Dumbledore, and there was some smoke and mirrors about his death, I believe both he and Sirius are gone...but can communicate in a limited fashion by the portrait and through whatever special charms may have been left. I just think it would be "cheap" for JKR to bring him back at this point.

I also have to jump on the bandwagon for Snape (sorry STR8). While painting Dumbledore as the wonderful kind "uncle", in every book, it was Snape that either saved Harry behind the scenes, brought the real information to light. or by being the best teacher in the school gave Harry and others the tools needed to protect themselves.

I believe that after his "exile" and the resolution of Harry/Voldemort, that Snape will become the next Headmaster of Hogwarts. He is a very serious student and as strong in magic as anyone other than Dumbledore. Just from potions, think of all the spells and potions he has discovered or improved. Harry et al. have a hard time even copying existing magic. I felt for him after the twist in the first book and it has only been reinforced since. By whatever luck, he was put in Slytherin...so it's like he's starting off with two strikes, he's badly mistreated by Harry's father and friends (like a Slytherin Neville), he's at least as studious as Hermione and probably smarter. There has always been a great mutual respect between Snape and Dumbledore although it has been downplayed.

Generally, I enjoyed the book, and it provides a necessary transition. I wasn't crazy about the amount of time spent on snogging...yes I get the point, but get on with it already. More in this book than others, I was irritated by the inability of Harry to ask the right questions of Dumbledore. He sure had access, instead of his loose theories on Snape and Malfoy, why didn't he ask D. about the HBP? Why didn't he ask anything about Malfoy using the room? At critical moments, Harry isn't very good at trusting his friends it seems. And what about his reoccurring fixations. First it was V., then Malfoy this whole book, now its only Snape. That type of behavior only gives tunnel vision, and an increased chance of being blindsided.

While I'm ranting, with all these powers, how can the wizarding world be so stupid? The only people that have any kind of organization are the Death Eaters and the Order (although the Order is a pretty rag tag bunch of misfits that have to remain hidden). If the ministry can detect some simple obscure event caused by Harry or Ron, why can they find any of these powerful wizards, Dementors or the like.

So moving forward, what are the key factors to be explored in book 7?

Snape good/bad
Harry/V showdown
New Minister?
Ron and Hermione...and Ginny
Resolution of the deaths Dumbledore, Sirius, Aragog
Draco and the rest of the Malfoys
Future of Hogwarts?
Is this the Wheasley's rise to eminence?

One thought that I hope is not realized....I hope the book doesn't close as a repeat of the cycle as in the Dark Tower series...where conclusion of these events and characters only lead to the creation of a new "Voldemort" et al.

Lots of good points- but regarding the snogging, these are homone-heavy teenagers. Let's just be relieved it wasn't anything worse :lol:

barnum42

Erika said:
Lots of good points- but regarding the snogging, these are homone-heavy teenagers. Let's just be relieved it wasn't anything worse :lol:
Lets just be relieved it was not more of the whining that was in the previous book! lol

And it's good that it gets the word "snog" out to a wider audience :D

CaptainMichael

ClemsonTigger said:
I also have to jump on the bandwagon for Snape (sorry STR8).

That's okay, the more people that jump on it, the more right I feel. If the general concensus is that he's innocent, then they must be wrong.

I liked to choke when I read you saying that Snape will be headmaster, then I reread it and calmed down. You meant after everything is resolved. This is quite possible if the Snape Fan Club is right.

Wilt Dasney

ClemsonTigger said:
And what about his reoccurring fixations. First it was V., then Malfoy this whole book, now its only Snape. That type of behavior only gives tunnel vision, and an increased chance of being blindsided.

That's the only thing that really irritates me about the character. Even though he was technically right this time, his narrow focus limited his response.

I know that J.K. uses it as a device to keep Harry "in check" until the time is right for him to make the obligatory "big move" every book, but damn, is it irritating.

Note to Harry: If it's the most obvious interpretation, it's either a.) wrong or b.) only partially right. We all figured that out after Book 1. What's taking YOU so long to get it?

*ceases ranting at the pretend wizard boy* :lookaroun

MouseMadness

Wilt Dasney said:
That's the only thing that really irritates me about the character. Even though he was technically right this time, his narrow focus limited his response.

I know that J.K. uses it as a device to keep Harry "in check" until the time is right for him to make the obligatory "big move" every book, but damn, is it irritating.

Note to Harry: If it's the most obvious interpretation, it's either a.) wrong or b.) only partially right. We all figured that out after Book 1. What's taking YOU so long to get it?

*ceases ranting at the pretend wizard boy* :lookaroun

Nerd alert. :rolleyes:

:lookaroun

longfamily

JK has mentioned that another major character will die before the end of book 7. in our house it has been widely speculated that Molly will be the unlucky one.

Dizknee_Phreek

longfamily said:
JK has mentioned that another major character will die before the end of book 7. in our house it has been widely speculated that Molly will be the unlucky one.
Hmm..interesting speculation, indeed. Are there any reasons for that? Any "hints" or "clues" that have led you all to think it will be her?
...Perhaps JK was talking about Voldemort *hehe* He is, after all, a major character ;)

longfamily

Molly tends to protect all of the kids, even Percy. It is our theory that she will actually either be killed protecting Percy or by protecting Harry and/or Ron. In this last book we see how vulnerable Molly is as a mother and we also start seeing the strengths of her husband, which is something that was never quite clear before.

Dizknee_Phreek

longfamily said:
Molly tends to protect all of the kids, even Percy. It is our theory that she will actually either be killed protecting Percy or by protecting Harry and/or Ron. In this last book we see how vulnerable Molly is as a mother and we also start seeing the strengths of her husband, which is something that was never quite clear before.
Ah, I see! Quite interesting, indeed! I never would've thought about that, but I suppose her protective nature could result in her death. I think that would actually be a rather fitting death for Molly (although I don't want to see her die).

MKCustodial

Well, I finally read it. Darn good reading, too. Now, I only read it once, so maybe it'll grow on me later on, but I still think PoA was the best one. HBP is tied in second place with OotP, which didn't take the top spot just because of Harry's excessive whining. HBP had lots of character development, which is always good, but it was mainly a Voldemort prequel. Also, having the Dumbledore thing spoiled months in advance may have ruined things a bit as well...

And about the bit about JK saying Sirius would be back in some way, I guess she meant what we saw in HBP, right? I mean, Tonks' Patrono (sorry, don't know the word in English!) took the form of a quadruped, and Harry had the feeling it was Padfoot (is that it in English? :p ).

And comenting on what the future may hold, someone mentioned Snape becoming headmaster. I haven't made up my mind simply because, as many stated, JK likes a twist, and the whole "he's a traitor" plot was very much in-our-face the whole time. So she's either planning a curveball down the road, like "you thought he was evil but he's actually nice" or she really just tackled this head on because she knows by now we're expecting hidden messages in everything.
McGonagal will be headmistress, now, and Slug will probably stay teaching Potions. We don't know if McGonagal will keep her teaching and House Director duties, but we do know we'll need another DaDA teacher.
If Jo wants to go for the totally sad ending, she could have Ginny dying to save Harry, and then a double KO between Harry and Lord V. Although I see him not dying (just because killing him would be too easy), and Ginny spending the whole book trying to show him that she's just as strong as him and that he needs her, much like James needed Lilly to be centered.
For the epilogue, I don't really see Harry as an auror (don't know if that's the word). Hogwarts was his true home, and everyone he considers family came form there or were happy there at some point. All 3 of them will probably become teachers. Harry teaching DaDA teacher, Mione teaching anything, and Ron... Well, Mione will probably find something for him. I see Mione as headmistress, not Harry, like many have been speculating for years. Actually, maybe Mione will become minister, and Ron will have some big shot job there as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom