Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Reviews and *SPOILERS*

CaptainMichael

nibblesandbits said:
I have to agree with that. Due to the fact that Voldemort will do anything to distroy anything that may hurt his road to power, I honestly think he was trying to kill Harry that night. And since the prophecy stated what it stated, (i don't know it offhand...maybe I'll go look it up later), and since Voldemort knew what part of what the prophecy said...and knew that Harry could possibly destroy his chances of total power, there is no doubt in my mind that Voldemort wanted Harry destroyed...not saved for a later date.

Yeah, the whole Harry is horcrux theory is totally absurd!

dandaman

I just finished it about two days ago... WOW. A lot of shockers in this installment (I know what you're about to say, and NO :D ). Dumbledore: Dead. Snape: Murderer. Harry: Leaving Hogwarts. Many more besides, I know, but these stood out in my mind. J.K. must have a lot of pressure on her to try and please everyone with her 7th and final story.

CaptainMichael

Erika said:
I don't know... it may not be right, but I wouldn't call it absurd. It's well thought out, at any rate.
Well, you do have the "buns of reason" :lol: A lot of these theories are well thought out. Some maybe even too much. Not everything in a book means something despite what my English teachers have been saying all of these years.

Symbolism= :brick: :hammer: :dazzle: :cry: :snore: :fork:

imagineer99

STR8FAN2005 said:
Yeah, the whole Harry is horcrux theory is totally absurd!

Yeah, about as absurd as a common house rat being the one who led to Harry's parents death...

Geez, I don't really agree with the "Harry is a Horcrux" theory as well. However, how can you so adamantly discount every idea that is not shared by yourself? It's a book...stop pretending like you have all the answers. Only Rowling does.

As for the 7th book, I hope he goes back to Hogwarts.. Without the school dyanamic, the books become Dull, in my humble opinion. The beginning of the fifth book was mind numbingly boring. Everytime he's away from the school, it turns into a snooze fest. Keep the academic part in there. It provides much of the books' humor and charm.

Disneydreaming

Anyone leaning towards the idea that the potions book Harry used that belonged to the Half Blood Prince may actually have been originally owned by his mom Lily? Slughorn told Harry several times how great Lily was at potions, and forgive me Snape fans, but Snape doesn't come across as someone who is super intelligent like in the genre of Hermione and Lily (book smart), although I do think of Snape as an intelligent man. The book could have been owned orginally by Lily, and then for some reason Snape ended up with it, and added his own dark arts notes. Just an idea that could be way off.

CaptainMichael

imagineer99 said:
Yeah, about as absurd as a common house rat being the one who led to Harry's parents death....
Well, it was an Animagus, quite understandable.

imagineer99 said:
Geez, I don't really agree with the "Harry is a Horcrux" theory as well. However, how can you so adamantly discount every idea that is not shared by yourself? It's a book...stop pretending like you have all the answers. Only Rowling does..
I'm allowed to disagree with theories just like everyone is entitled to their theories, no matter how ridiculous I might find them. My word is not Gospel and I have never said that it is.
imagineer99 said:
As for the 7th book, I hope he goes back to Hogwarts.. Without the school dyanamic, the books become Dull, in my humble opinion. The beginning of the fifth book was mind numbingly boring. Everytime he's away from the school, it turns into a snooze fest. Keep the academic part in there. It provides much of the books' humor and charm.
I hope he goes back also. I'm pretty sure something will lure him back. If not, I'm sure he'll be doing something important and dangerous somewhere else.

Halfling418

Erika said:
It just seems to easy to believe Snape is evil. That does not seem to be Rowling's usual style... I don't know, maybe I am looking for too much but I do have to wonder.

I've always thought (since the end of book one) that there was much more to Snape than meets the eye. To make Snape just plain evil (which Hermione said was a strong word) is a complete waste of a complex character. Dumbeldore may have been slightly weaker, but his judgement couldn't have been so skewed to trust Severus 100% and then ended up in a pathetic position, pleading for his life. He may have been pleading for death....I mean, why did he beg for Snape instead of Madam Pomfrey? Like Snape would do something that Pomfrey wouldn't. And I think the whole "don't call me a coward" thing is very important as well...

And let's face it, Harry has been bent on hating Snape since the very start...understandable, of course.

Anyways, I think to guess Snape simply one of the "bad guys" would make him boring and one-dimensional.

Of course, I may be completely wrong....

Anywho, whatever happens in the final book will be amazing. No need to argue really...there's only one theory on anything that's correct and that is, obviously, J.K. Rowling's.

CaptainMichael

Halfling418 said:
Anyways, I think to guess Snape simply one of the "bad guys" would make him boring and one-dimensional.

You are right, Snape is not one-dimensional. There has been a conflict throughout the books regarding Snape. Is he good or bad?? Evidence has always gone both ways, but at the end of the day, Snape has proved to be good. So, we've always had this insistence from Dumbledore, Hagrid, etc. that Snape is good and has proved himself, and that kind of puts the reader and the characters in a false sense of security which sets us up for the betrayal. That is where we are now. He isn't just "one of the bad guys". That is used to classify one dimensionals such as Lucius Malfoy and the Death Eaters.

So, that is why I NOW tend to think that it has always been in the plans for Snape to eventually betray the side he had supposedly joined. He & JKR did a great job of convincing us. So much so that people refuse to believe that he can be bad. They did their job. He was able to convince everyone which made the betrayal on the tower so powerful and effective!

barnum42

Finished the book yesterday.

I'm inclined to suspect that Snape is not the all out evil murderer portrayed in the novel. Whilst the book details Dumbledore being hit by the spell and falling from the tower, there do not appear to be any witnesses that saw the body fall all the way to the ground. It may not be Dumbledore's body that was found and buried.

His phoenix is a clever bird and could have been told to perform the lament then fly away from Hogwarts to where his not-so-dead master is recovering from his injuries.

Number_6

Kind of a funny thought that passed through our minds about Dumbledore's death. And I'm not throwing this out as a serious idea, so just bear with me. Dumbledore's wand goes flying over the battlements of the Astronomy Tower. A short time later, Dumbledore goes over the side. Now, assuming that there is a plan in place where Dumbledore is to survive and fake his death, them maybe that wand he had was supplied by "Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes" and turned into a fake Dumbledore which was found at the bottom of the tower sometime later. ;)

Now for a real thought, Dumbledore seemed to drift over the battlements slowly after being hit by the "Avada Kedavra." Could he not have been hit with a weak "Avada Kedavra" that was not meant to kill(because you have to really mean it for it to do what it's supposed to) and also been hit with "Levicorpus" which causes the body to levitate off the ground. If it was silently cast just as the "Avada Kedavra" hit, then it would look like Dumbledore was hit with a powerful "AK" and that he flew backwards, when it was the "Levicorpus" sending him through the air. Just a random observation.

Disneydreaming

Dumbledore's portrait is now hanging on the wall of the headmasters office. That is convincing enough for me that he is dead. JKR also stated in her recent interview with Mugglenet/Leaky in regards to Dumbledore's death:

ES: The majority thought he was going to die in book six — well, six or seven. Most thought it was going to be in seven.

JKR: Really. Yeah.

ES: It was probably 65/35, but definitely, most thought he was going to die.

JKR: Yeah, well, I think if you take a step back, in the genre of writing that I'm working in, almost always the hero must go on alone. That's the way it is, we all know that, so the question is when and how, isn't it, if you know anything about the construction of that kind of plot.

ES: The wise old wizard with the beard always dies.

JKR: Well, that's basically what I'm saying, yes.

Dumbledore is my favorite character, I wish he were still alive. I am not sure Harry is prepared to take on Voldemort and live without Dumbledore by his side, but that does make the story so much more dramatic, doesn't it? :cry:

Number_6

But what she may be avoiding saying is that Dumbledore could be a wise old wizard in the style of Gandalf. "He's dead! Wait a minute... he got better." ;)

Disneydreaming

Number_6 said:
But what she may be avoiding saying is that Dumbledore could be a wise old wizard in the style of Gandalf. "He's dead! Wait a minute... he got better." ;)

Yeah, you have a point, its what she doesn't say thats important too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom