Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince Reviews and *SPOILERS*

MissM

The two livejournal links aren't mine. They just summed up basically everything I was thinking. Easier to link to it then re-write it myself. *chuckles*

But...who knows. I do know it's going to be a long two years.
-m

nibblesandbits

MissM said:
The two livejournal links aren't mine. They just summed up basically everything I was thinking. Easier to link to it then re-write it myself. *chuckles*

But...who knows. I do know it's going to be a long two years.
-m
hahaha! Yeah, I realized they weren't yours after I re-read them! But they do bring about some very valid points!

MouseMadness

I'm too sad to even give opinions right now. I had to read the funeral when everybody else was asleep, because I knew I'd be bawling like a baby. :lol: :cry: :eek:

Funny.... I was reading the part in the cave, where Dumbledore is drinking the... stuff... and I had to put my book down, and I walked over to my 10 yo, Kaitlyn, and said "Okay, first, don't tell me ANYTHING, but if Dumbledore dies in that stupid cave, JK Rowling can expect a very unpleasant letter from me!" :)lol: :lookaroun ) and Kaitlyn said "OH, no! He doesn't die... in a cave." :eek: KAITLYN!!!! :brick: :lol:

nibblesandbits

STR8FAN2005 said:
Part 3 of the interview is up now. JKR says that someone who carefully rereads HBP will discover another Horcrux.

Well, guess I'd better get back to reading...and I still probably won't figure it out! :lol: :hammer:

FutureCEO

I did the same thing. I stopped reading for before they go to the cave and then waited until nighttime.

Tiara? for the wedding? could it be a horcrux

imagineer99

Alright, sorry I'm so late to the party...but I just finished (unlike some, I take my time and ENJOY myself;))

Here's my thoughts:

As much as STR8FAN2005, likes to think of Snape as pure evil--I just can't believe it.

Snape has always been one of my favorite characters. Why? Because he's interesting. He's enigmatic. He's both good and bad. Rowling is not going to build up such a fascinating character, only to have him suddenly turn into a sterotypical villain. There's more at work here. I still think, regardless of him murdering Dumbledore in this book, that Snape will prove to be an anti-hero in the next book. Imagine if Harry needs Snape's help in the final book? That would be a kicker of an ending...

As others have mentioned, Snape has saved Harry's life. He has saved lupin's life. He's no girl scout, but he isn't pure evil, either.

All in all, I enjoyed it (though, I still believe Book 3 is the best in the series, due to its immensly clever plot twists and adventures). I thought the Half-Blood prince dyanamic was quite clever. Nevertheless, the method for how the death eaters got in the castle was a little--disappointing. Blah...Blah...magical cabinets. Blah...Blah.

Well, I guess it's time to wait another 3 years for the next one...:)

Captain Hank

STR8FAN2005 said:
Part 3 of the interview is up now. JKR says that someone who carefully rereads HBP will discover another Horcrux.
Well, it's most likely something related to either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. I'm not sure we've seen anything from Ravenclaw, and the only thing that we know of for sure from Gryffindor is the sword from Chamber of Secrets, and it can't be that. However, there was some mention of the lion-shaped door knocker on the headmaster's/headmistress' office. Could it be that?

Or, the Potter murders took place in Godric's Hollow--which is most likely a reference to Godric Gryffindor. Could that be the source of the final horcroux?

MouseMadness

Okay, the whole Snape thing... I am thinking he's no death eater, as well. I believe that was why he was SOOOOOOOOO infuriated with Harry calling him a "coward" because he just killed Dumbledore, when it was, in fact, the last thing on earth he wanted to do. I think when Dumbledore was pleading with him, they weren't pleas of "don't kill me". I think Dumbledore knew about the unbreakable vow, and like he told Harry, he was more important. Dumbledore would rather keep their "spy" on Voldemort... that was more important.

I hope that made sense... I spent 6 hours at an auto shop today waiting for my car to get fixed. (And it still isn't done) :fork: :brick:

DisneyFreak529

Ok... I just finished the book & WOW!! I just thought I would give my oppion on everything.

First I don't think Snape is evil, I do think he hates Harry only because of what his father did to him in school. I don't think he kill Dumbledore either. I think it is a set up so Voldermort thinks Dumbledore is dead.

I agree with this statment...
Originally Posted by MCBRIZZ5
That night when he killed the Potter he was not trying to kill Harry but actually was placing his soul in him.

I think it would be the greatest twist in the 7th book if Harry found out he was one of the 7! Then if the prophecy is true he wouldn't have to worry about Harry Killing him because a peace of him is in there. I think JK.R let the secret go in the 2rd book when when Harry asked if he was in the right house.

MouseMadness

DisneyFreak529 said:
First I don't think Snape is evil, I do think he hates Harry only because of what his father did to him in school. .

Yeah... could be, in which case I have to tell him to GET OVER IT! :rolleyes: :lol: :animwink:

CaptainMichael

DisneyFreak529 said:
I think it would be the greatest twist in the 7th book if Harry found out he was one of the 7! Then if the prophecy is true he wouldn't have to worry about Harry Killing him because a peace of him is in there. I think JK.R let the secret go in the 2rd book when when Harry asked if he was in the right house.

It has been revealed that the person sub-consiously sorts themself. I believe Jo said something to that effect in the Leaky Cauldron interview. I'm looking for it and will post it when I find it.
ES: Has the sorting hat ever been wrong?

JKR: No.

ES: Really?

JKR: Mm-mm. Do you have a theory?

ES: I have heard a lot of theories.

JKR: [laugh] I bet you have. No. [laugh] Sorry.

MA: That's interesting, because that would suggest that the voice comes more from a person's own head than the hat itself -

JKR: [makes mysterious noise]

MA: And that maybe when it talks on its own it comes from -

JKR: The founders themselves.

MA: Yeah. Interesting. How much of a role are the founders going to play in book seven?

JKR: Some, as you probably have guessed from the end of six. There's so much that I want to ask you, but you're supposed to interview me, so come on. [Laughter.]

Here is something Jo said about HBP:
JKR: Well, there you go. See, I'm aware that “Half-Blood Prince” will not delight everyone, because it does shoot down some theories. I mean, if it didn't, I haven't done my job right. A few people won't particularly like it, and a lot of people aren't going to like the death very much, but that was always what was planned to come.

DisneyRoxMySox

I do not think one of the other Horcruxes are in the school. Dumbledore would have caught on, unless he missed it becuase it was too obvious.

Dumbledore is dead, no doubt about it.

IMO, Harry will return for his 7th year at Hogworts and the battle between him and Tom (Voldemort) will take place at gradutaon. I think Harry will find the other Horcruxes, during Christmas break, and maybe at a trip to Hogsmeade. But I think he will definitly be at Hogworts for his 7th year.

An idea, totaly created by me.. I think Harry will stumble upon a new room, or hall way. This room/hall way will have portraits of the founders, Harry can comunicate with them, as with Dumbledore in his former office.

imagineer99

This weeks Entertainment weekly offers some interesting theories as well...

Apparently, in book five, Harry stumbles upon a LOCKET THAT WILL NOT OPEN in the Black home. The Horcrux, that R.A.B. stole, eh?

CaptainMichael

DisneyRoxMySox said:
I do not think one of the other Horcruxes are in the school. Dumbledore would have caught on, unless he missed it becuase it was too obvious.
Which is totally possible, Dumbledore is a human and therefore subject to human error. Remember, the Sorting Hat belonged to Godric Gryffindor. Does this mean that it is a Horcrux? Goodness no, but a possibility? Yes. Was there any evidence against it being GG's sword?? I really need to reread.

DisneyRoxMySox said:
Dumbledore is dead, no doubt about it..
Yes, JKR made that as plain as day. Much more finite and concrete than Sirius Black's, yet people continue to speculate :veryconfu

DisneyRoxMySox said:
IMO, Harry will return for his 7th year at Hogworts and the battle between him and Tom (Voldemort) will take place at gradutaon. I think Harry will find the other Horcruxes, during Christmas break, and maybe at a trip to Hogsmeade. But I think he will definitly be at Hogworts for his 7th year..
There is no doubt in my mind that Harry will make it back to Hogwarts at some point. Somehow something on his quest will lead him back to Hogwarts. Honestly, what's a Harry Potter book without Hogwarts? Of course, that could also be said about Dumbledore :cry:

Erika

Number_6 said:
As far as Snape being evil goes, there is alot of evidence that points to it being all part of the plan, strangely enough...

Finally read it!

I have to say what you've said makes sense. It just seems to easy to believe Snape is evil. That does not seem to be Rowling's usual style... I don't know, maybe I am looking for too much but I do have to wonder.

Disneydreaming

Captain Hank said:
Well, it's most likely something related to either Ravenclaw or Gryffindor. I'm not sure we've seen anything from Ravenclaw, and the only thing that we know of for sure from Gryffindor is the sword from Chamber of Secrets, and it can't be that. However, there was some mention of the lion-shaped door knocker on the headmaster's/headmistress' office. Could it be that?

Or, the Potter murders took place in Godric's Hollow--which is most likely a reference to Godric Gryffindor. Could that be the source of the final horcroux?

Its quite probable that Voldemort took something from Godric's Hollow after he murdered the Potter parents, and used that something as a horcrux. I'm having a hard time believing Harry is a horcrux, as Voldemort's intentions were to kill Harry from the start. It will be interesting for Harry to go back to Godric's Hollow, as he said he would do at the end of book 6. I have been waiting for him to do that since book 1.

BTW, why is everyone assuming book 7 will be out in 2 years? She has stated that she is taking a year off to care for her newborn baby, after which she will start book 7 next year. It averages about 2 years for her to write a book, with another 6 or 7 months after she finishes her manuscript for it actually to be published. I think its going to be more like 3 years before it comes out, jmo though.

CaptainMichael

Disneydreaming said:
Its quite probable that Voldemort took something from Godric's Hollow after he murdered the Potter parents, and used that something as a horcrux. I'm having a hard time believing Harry is a horcrux, as Voldemort's intentions were to kill Harry from the start. It will be interesting for Harry to go back to Godric's Hollow, as he said he would do at the end of book 6. I have been waiting for him to do that since book 1.

BTW, why is everyone assuming book 7 will be out in 2 years? She has stated that she is taking a year off to care for her newborn baby, after which she will start book 7 next year. It averages about 2 years for her to write a book, with another 6 or 7 months after she finishes her manuscript for it actually to be published. I think its going to be more like 3 years before it comes out, jmo though.

We're not assuming, we're stating a fact. She said it could be out in at least two years. She isn't writing full time this year, but she has been working on it. Next year, she'll focus on writing. If she turns in the manuscript in January 2007, we should get it in July of that year. Which means about two more years :D

Disneydreaming

STR8FAN2005 said:
We're not assuming, we're stating a fact. She said it could be out in at least two years. She isn't writing full time this year, but she has been working on it. Next year, she'll focus on writing. If she turns in the manuscript in January 2007, we should get it in July of that year. Which means about two more years :D

I'm curious, in what interview did she say it could be out in two years?

nibblesandbits

Disneydreaming said:
I'm having a hard time believing Harry is a horcrux, as Voldemort's intentions were to kill Harry from the start.

I have to agree with that. Due to the fact that Voldemort will do anything to distroy anything that may hurt his road to power, I honestly think he was trying to kill Harry that night. And since the prophecy stated what it stated, (i don't know it offhand...maybe I'll go look it up later), and since Voldemort knew what part of what the prophecy said...and knew that Harry could possibly destroy his chances of total power, there is no doubt in my mind that Voldemort wanted Harry destroyed...not saved for a later date.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom