Harry Potter IS making a difference!!

Lee

Adventurer
Flip83 said:
Potter will still be enjoyed by many, but the Expansion will attract more than Potter.

No, it won't.
No chance at all that MK will see anywhere near the increase in attendance and merch sales that IoA is getting from Potter. Nobody I've spoken with at Disney even expects that.
FLE will give them something new to market for MK, and will provide a small attendance bump, and capacity increase. That is all it was designed to do.

Then the next phase of Potter is announced, and FLE quickly falls off the radar of the general public.

captainkidd

ALL of my clients that have made the side trip to Universal for a day or two said it (WWoHP) was really well done, and they enjoyed it completely - as well as enjoying other parts of Universal - but they have no desire to go back anytime soon - yet most are already planning their next Disney vacation.

I'm not one of your clients, but that is my family exactly. It was VERY well done, but takes about an hour to do the entire thing (if you do everything). I thought Hogwarts was amazing, but FJ was like Soarin' with benches that moved a lot more.

It's like Spider-Man. It's an amazing technological ride, and that's all good, but it didn't leave with a desire to ride again and again. Disney attractions do that.

Flip83

I'm not one of your clients, but that is my family exactly. It was VERY well done, but takes about an hour to do the entire thing (if you do everything). I thought Hogwarts was amazing, but FJ was like Soarin' with benches that moved a lot more.

It's like Spider-Man. It's an amazing technological ride, and that's all good, but it didn't leave with a desire to ride again and again. Disney attractions do that.

Completely Agree. In no way am I knocking WWOHP, but nothing in US makes people take a Vacation to see their parks. Disney attractions, the feeling you get, the restaurants you've always loved etc... All of that makes the Family say "When we going next?"

Disney will eventually expand, more than FLE. But they know nothing US does will ever truly effect them. They have to rush nothing for US's sake. US will never "hold anything above Disneys head." Lets be serious.

lazyboy97o

Completely Agree. In no way am I knocking WWOHP, but nothing in US makes people take a Vacation to see their parks. Disney attractions, the feeling you get, the restaurants you've always loved etc... All of that makes the Family say "When we going next?"
All based in nostalgia, memories and built up good will. With each subsequent visit to Universal Studios that will build.

Also, do not speak in definitives. I used to take my short vacations at Walt Disney World. I now take them at Universal Orlando. I might go back to Walt Disney World when The Little Mermaid opens, but its tempting to just save the money, wait a year, and go to Disney's California Adventure in 2012 and fight the crowds to see Cars Land.

misterID

Well, UNI kind of is holding it over Disney's head... They're not done expanding, even at WWOHP. What that expansion is I bet does have Disney concerned. If its gets more reaction/attention like FJ, Disney will lose some face as having the superior product. Notice I didn't say anything about who makes more money or has more attendance. And Disney views a person who is spending a day at Universal isn't spending a day at WDW. So in their view it does have an impact.

I haven't seen anything that WDW is realistically planning in the near future that competes with FJ. Just don't. I wish there was. And again, UNI isn't a resort like WDW is and never will be. They're not even trying to compete with it. I don't think anyone is even saying that? So comparing the two on that is a little silly.

Flip83

Then what are they dangling if they can't compete? Nothing that effects Disney to a point of attendance rapidly dropping. This argument is pointless.

inluvwithbeast

Disney will eventually expand, more than FLE. But they know nothing US does will ever truly effect them. They have to rush nothing for US's sake. US will never "hold anything above Disneys head." Lets be serious.

I just want to say that my peers and myself-- the 20-somethings who have money to spend now and soon will be taking their own families on vacation-- grew up with Potter. Literally. Harry is as much a part of our childhood as Lion King, LM, and BatB. Maybe even more so because Potter came on the scene as many of us were starting to transition into teenagers, so our memories are more vivid. As we grew up, Harry grew up too. I think there is definitely a sense of nostalgia for this age group. If you could have seen the demographic for HP7 opening day, you might understand a little more fully.

My point is that when I go on vacation, with all that money to spend because of my lack of mortgage and children, I want to go see WWoHP. I've been to WDW. It's the same as when I went a couple of years ago. I want to try butterbeer and buy some candy and explore the world of HP that I loved to read about. And I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.

captainkidd

All based in nostalgia, memories and built up good will. With each subsequent visit to Universal Studios that will build.

I'm not so sure about that. The past 2 years, we've started our vacation with a 3 night stay at Universal (on-property). And while I really enjoy some of the attractions at Universal, I can not fathom myself spending more than 3 days there. On our 3rd day at the parks this past summer, we were bored. Their attractions don't have the same re-rideablity (there's a new word for ya) that Disney's does. At least for my family anyway. We talked about it and decided to skip Universal all together next year, and spend all 2 weeks at Disney. Universal is a fun diversion, but it's not Disney.

Thurp

I just want to say that my peers and myself-- the 20-somethings who have money to spend now and soon will be taking their own families on vacation-- grew up with Potter. Literally. Harry is as much a part of our childhood as Lion King, LM, and BatB. Maybe even more so because Potter came on the scene as many of us were starting to transition into teenagers, so our memories are more vivid. As we grew up, Harry grew up too. I think there is definitely a sense of nostalgia for this age group. If you could have seen the demographic for HP7 opening day, you might understand a little more fully.

Bingo.

I'm older than you and HP doesn't speak to me (but I do congratulate Universal on a job very well done) but I've been thinking along the same lines as you. Those children who ate up HP when it first came out will soon have their own disposable income. And soon after, children, and they will want their children to discover HP as well.

And, like I said before, the more people visit a location (be it a park or any other place), the more memories that they create there, and so the more nostalgia and attachment that they will feel for that place. Many people hated AK when it first opened. And now? They love it. Has it changed that much since opening day? Not really. They've just built a history with that place and they feel an emotional attachment. I'm one of them, AK went from being my least favorite park to probably being the park I love to show of the most.

We all know that WDW is not going anywhere and will remain #1, but to say that WDW has nothing to worry about is just silly. Of course, over the years, I've seen Universal hit a home run and then do nothing about it, so we'll see if they can keep this up or not.

jakeman

I'm not so sure about that. The past 2 years, we've started our vacation with a 3 night stay at Universal (on-property). And while I really enjoy some of the attractions at Universal, I can not fathom myself spending more than 3 days there. On our 3rd day at the parks this past summer, we were bored. Their attractions don't have the same re-rideablity (there's a new word for ya) that Disney's does. At least for my family anyway. We talked about it and decided to skip Universal all together next year, and spend all 2 weeks at Disney. Universal is a fun diversion, but it's not Disney.
This pretty much sums up my family as well.

HP is a great product and deserves most of the acclaim that is being heaped upon it. If the whole of the Universal resort was at that same level then Disney would be in some serious trouble.

However, it's not. Even the main draw of HP, Forbidden Journey lacked a certain "wow" factor after the first time. The ride technology and the initial experience trumps anything Disney has to offer right now, but after that, there just isn't much to look at.

Regardless of our personal feelings about Harry Potter and the Universal vs. Disney fight, we as the consumers will be the true winners. Whether that means more and more vacation funds might shift to Universal if the continue to produce such high quality lands and attractions as HP or if they remain with Disney if and when they counter, competition is extremely good.

Kudos to Universal for challenging Disney like this. They made a negligible dent in my family's vacation style (one day out of multiple visits a year), but to get us to take notice of the other Orlando offerings is a feat unto itself.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I thoroughly enjoyed WWOHP, but the rest of Universal left me wanting. I won't go back just for WWOHP. The cost of admission is too high just for WWOHP. It's a shame, because that one area is very good.

I think as the novelty wears off the attendance will drop off. There might be another surge if they expand WWOHP, but I'd wait to see what they put there before I would decide to go back. I certainly won't be buying more than a one-day, one-park ticket if I do decide to try it then.

jakeman

I thoroughly enjoyed WWOHP, but the rest of Universal left me wanting. I won't go back just for WWOHP. The cost of admission is too high just for WWOHP. It's a shame, because that one area is very good.

I think as the novelty wears off the attendance will drop off. There might be another surge if they expand WWOHP, but I'd wait to see what they put there before I would decide to go back. I certainly won't be buying more than a one-day, one-park ticket if I do decide to try it then.
Agreed.

One of the other things we should consider is this: Is Universal capable of pulling something like this off without a prepackaged franchise?

Let's be honest here (and this doesn't diminish the accomplishment of HP in anyway), Uni has the HP franchise because, as I understand it, they allowed Rowling complete veto power.

She has been so involved in the franchise in almost every aspect, that was there any way that this area wouldn't see this level of detail regardless of who was finally awarded it?

Sure you are stepping into the books when you visit the park, but there isn't any originality there in theming.

Outside Forbidden Journey there is nothing there that wasn't lifted directly from the books.

None that is a bad thing but I sometimes think the kudos given to Universal for the great job they did is like writing a book report on Tom Sawyer with Mark Twain sitting beside you.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
As a recently married late 20's couple, Universal is already stealing away some of our vacation time from Disney. They have a ton to offer, and with Disney sitting on their hands until recently, i have become more apt to try out US. I have found that I really enjoy the parks, resorts, and night life. WWoHP has just made me that much more likely to burn a couple WDW days in favor of US.

Someone tried to make the point a little while back that FLE will match WWoHP, and WDW will have a major attendance boost. I find that absolutely laughable. It is not even meant to have that kind of impact. Yeah the little mermaid was a popular movie. But the Harry Potter movies have made over 6 Billion dollars, in theaters alone. Forget about DVDs and Books. Harry Potter is a juggernaut. TLM is not.

pax_65

I'm sure many other families face this same decision, but I doubt all of them will choose to stay at Disney.

For my kids (13 & 9), Harry Potter is the #1 thing they are looking forward to doing on our next trip to Orlando. Keep in mind... we are a Disney family, DVC owners, go to Disney every year and the kids have NEVER been to Universal (I went once when the kids were young).

Our plan is to buy 2 days at Universal and cut those days out of whatever pass we buy for Disney. We are not extending our trip. So for us, Disney is losing $$$ they get from us every year.

I'll be curious what happens next. Since Universal has more attractions aimed at older kids, I wonder if my kids will want to visit Universal every year from here on. (I kind of hope not, as I'm not a big Universal fan. But this is what happens when you put money into your parks! :( )

JustInTime

Anybody know whats included or on the board for the next potter expansion?

I would think a mirror effect would be done. One where the lost continent is, we could get Diagon Ally. It would mirror Hoqsmade/Hogwarts but it could be Diagon ally/Gringotts. There would be a coaster in Gringotts. Or at least, thats how I would do it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom