Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

jt04

But its so much easier to be in denial when you pretend that Harry Potter doesn't matter!
I honestly don't know why anyone responds to any of his posts. Its some kind of sickness because I've done it, too. He's the most obvious troll I've come across on a message board since I stopped posting on this one particular video gaming forum. He reminds me alot of the people who only own one console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) for whatever reason and to justify that decision or condition they berate and belittle everything that isn't available on their system, or in this case Disney theme parks. Its sad in a way, and sometimes amusing.

Please link to where I say "potter doesn't matter". Never said it. I just said it is better off at Universal. Unless you think Uni doesn't matter. :shrug:

CaptainMichael

Read it and weep CM.

Potters best showing is ranked #66!

Star Wars is #2!!!!!!! :sohappy:

:wave:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Even though this was totally irrelevant to what I was saying (what you do best actually), I will respond.

You cannot compare Star Wars success with Harry Potter by movies alone. The movies didn't make Potter popular, the books did. Star Wars is a cinematic masterpiece, Harry Potter is not (and I never thought it was). Both are cultural phenomenons enjoyed by all ages.

EPCOT Explorer

Wrong! :rolleyes:

And wronger! :rolleyes:
Sure. It's just another excuse.:shrug:

How convenient...
Exactly.
Even though this was totally irrelevant to what I was saying (what you do best actually), I will respond.

You cannot compare Star Wars success with Harry Potter by movies alone. The movies didn't make Potter popular, the books did. Star Wars is a cinematic masterpiece, Harry Potter is not (and I never thought it was). Both are cultural phenomenons enjoyed by all ages.

And exactly, yet again. Two different venue, and different franchisees. However....Same place in Pop Culture.

jt04

Sure. It's just another excuse.:shrug:

Exactly.

And exactly, yet again. Two different venue, and different franchisees. However....Same place in Pop Culture.

Sorry, not arguing but you are wrong. Star Wars was much more universal and has a solid 3 generations of fans. Potter is much more concentrated in it's fan base and has yet to prove it has the same staying power. It might someday but hasn't yet. Very few pop culture hits do. Time will tell.

But my only point was Potter is better off at Universal.

jt04

It might, but how could HP even have that many generations yet considering it hasn't been around that long?

Old people can read too. :lol:

Anyway, that is why I said, "time will tell". It will take time to fully judge the Potter craze.

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry, not arguing but you are wrong. Star Wars was much more universal and has a solid 3 generations of fans. Potter is much more concentrated in it's fan base and has yet to prove it has the same staying power. It might someday but hasn't yet. Very few pop culture hits do. Time will tell.

But my only point was Potter is better off at Universal.

It's already been around for over 10 years.:shrug:

Time is telling.

_Scar

I think that Universal getting the Harry Potter was probably a better move than Disney getting them because Universal is known to push the envelope in technology and thrill which makes an amazing ride (ask Spiderman). With Disney you would probably get a major thrill ride with no theme or a dark ride with good theme, but no thrills or technology. Disney would probably make more money off of it though, but really the fans want a good ride and Universal would probably give them the better Harry Potter ride.

Plus, most of Disney's most popular rides aren't based on Disney movies at all: TT, Soarin, ToT, BTMRR, Space, PotC, EE, KRR, GRR, CS, Matterhorn, IaSW, RnRC, ect.

Disneyson 1

Actually, I can kind of understand where jt is coming from. While I recognize that Harry Potter is just about as lasting as Star Wars and attracts about the same amount of fans as it, I feel like it's not such a good fit for Disney. I really don't have any good reason for that, because I like Star Tours but I don't really geek over Star WARS. I feel like Harry Potter is almost too adult to be in Disney. Yes, I know that's ridiculous, but I feel like the adventuring, childlike qualities of Star Wars, Indy, and Disney is lost in the drama of Harry books, and I feel like drama fits more into Uni. I mean, it's not a good reason, but it just wouldn't feel right to me. And if they were to throw it into DHS, it would most likely NEVER be as big as the land in Uni., which I feel wouldn't do the books justice.

But I think that all this "Potter is not going to last" stuff is BS. :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Ah, the naivte of youth.

Potter will be at Universal. I'm going back to WDW discussions. I'm bored with this thread. :snore:

Ah, the stubbornness of the old?

I'm sorry if that was disrespectful, but you are clearly lacking some for me.:wave:

Have fun over there!

jt04

I think that Universal getting the Harry Potter was probably a better move than Disney getting them because Universal is known to push the envelope in technology and thrill which makes an amazing ride (ask Spiderman). With Disney you would probably get a major thrill ride with no theme or a dark ride with good theme, but no thrills or technology. Disney would probably make more money off of it though, but really the fans want a good ride and Universal would probably give them the better Harry Potter ride.

Plus, most of Disney's most popular rides aren't based on Disney movies at all: TT, Soarin, ToT, BTMRR, Space, PotC, EE, KRR, GRR, CS, Matterhorn, IaSW, RnRC, ect.

Give Disney time. I was just thinking that E:E and ToT could make great movies.

_Scar

Actually, I can kind of understand where jt is coming from. While I recognize that Harry Potter is just about as lasting as Star Wars and attracts about the same amount of fans as it, I feel like it's not such a good fit for Disney. I really don't have any good reason for that, because I like Star Tours but I don't really geek over Star WARS. I feel like Harry Potter is almost too adult to be in Disney. Yes, I know that's ridiculous, but I feel like the adventuring, childlike qualities of Star Wars, Indy, and Disney is lost in the drama of Harry books, and I feel like drama fits more into Uni. I mean, it's not a good reason, but it just wouldn't feel right to me. And if they were to throw it into DHS, it would most likely NEVER be as big as the land in Uni., which I feel wouldn't do the books justice.

But I think that all this "Potter is not going to last" stuff is BS. :wave:

Potter is a bit to adultish for Disney because of the amount of adult challenges this boy is overcome with.... but still.... Roger Rabbit was very adult and it is in a kiddie section of the park so.... :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom