Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

CaptainMichael

I think that Universal getting the Harry Potter was probably a better move than Disney getting them because Universal is known to push the envelope in technology and thrill which makes an amazing ride (ask Spiderman). With Disney you would probably get a major thrill ride with no theme or a dark ride with good theme, but no thrills or technology. Disney would probably make more money off of it though, but really the fans want a good ride and Universal would probably give them the better Harry Potter ride.

Plus, most of Disney's most popular rides aren't based on Disney movies at all: TT, Soarin, ToT, BTMRR, Space, PotC, EE, KRR, GRR, CS, Matterhorn, IaSW, RnRC, ect.

I'm glad Universal got HP also. An attraction like Star Tours or Epic Stunt Spectacular wouldn't do Harry justice:xmas:

Now, if Universal could get the rights to James Bond, my life would be complete (exaggeration of course, but would be AWESOME!)

jt04

Haunted Mansion wanted me to tell you hi :wave:

HM was a good idea just poorly done. You get what you pay for. Iger realizes this so I think the new Tomorrowland movie will be properly funded. Jungle Cruise could make a good movie too. Pirates 4 is a go.

And then there is that script Randall Wallace is working on. :zipit:

marsrunner

Actually, I can kind of understand where jt is coming from. While I recognize that Harry Potter is just about as lasting as Star Wars and attracts about the same amount of fans as it, I feel like it's not such a good fit for Disney. I really don't have any good reason for that, because I like Star Tours but I don't really geek over Star WARS. I feel like Harry Potter is almost too adult to be in Disney. Yes, I know that's ridiculous, but I feel like the adventuring, childlike qualities of Star Wars, Indy, and Disney is lost in the drama of Harry books, and I feel like drama fits more into Uni. I mean, it's not a good reason, but it just wouldn't feel right to me. And if they were to throw it into DHS, it would most likely NEVER be as big as the land in Uni., which I feel wouldn't do the books justice.

But I think that all this "Potter is not going to last" stuff is BS. :wave:

That's a much different and more intelligent argument than saying Potter is a "fad". I kind of agree with you, to a point. I'm only speaking of the novels, as the films tend to be watered-down messes in comparison. There are a lot of adult themes in the novels, and Harry is asked to deal with a lot over the course of the seven books. A lot more than most adults could handle, I imagine. There are a lot of dark moments in those books that wouldn't translate well in a Disney park. Thing is, there are just as many light hearted moments and moments of wonder that Disney could really nail if they wanted to.
I don't care where it ends up, to be honest. I just hope that the world they create is more immersive than the films have been. Disney, Universal, I don't care; all I want is a good experience. Disney already gives me those moments in spades. Something Universal has been lacking in my mind has been an attraction that hits you in your heart emotionally, not just in the thrill department. Maybe this will be the thing that finally does that?
Spoken as a non-naive 38 year old father of two (14 and 5), thank you very much! :)

krankenstein

Actually, I can kind of understand where jt is coming from. While I recognize that Harry Potter is just about as lasting as Star Wars and attracts about the same amount of fans as it, I feel like it's not such a good fit for Disney. I really don't have any good reason for that, because I like Star Tours but I don't really geek over Star WARS. I feel like Harry Potter is almost too adult to be in Disney. Yes, I know that's ridiculous, but I feel like the adventuring, childlike qualities of Star Wars, Indy, and Disney is lost in the drama of Harry books, and I feel like drama fits more into Uni. I mean, it's not a good reason, but it just wouldn't feel right to me. And if they were to throw it into DHS, it would most likely NEVER be as big as the land in Uni., which I feel wouldn't do the books justice.

But I think that all this "Potter is not going to last" stuff is BS. :wave:

That's a much better argument than anything jt said.

Btw, I agree.

_Scar

Like I said you get what you pay for. :ROFLOL:

Give ToT a 250 million dollar budget for writing/production/SFX/marketing and it would crush potter. :D

AND Michael Bay!11!!!! ELEVATOR SHAFT FALLING *cue EXPLOSION* BOOOOOOOM

Yea, totally crush Harry Potter. :drevil:

jt04

Yeah...I'm not aure about that.

Weren't you leaving? :lookaroun

Well that was before the thread turned to Disney movies based on rides at WDW.

The real question is why is a Harry Potter discussion taking place in the WDW News and Rumors section of WDWMagic? Shouldn't this thread be leaving or at least staying on topic? :lookaroun

_Scar

The real question is why is a Harry Potter discussion taking place in the WDW News and Rumors section of WDWMagic? Shouldn't this thread be leaving or at least staying on topic? :lookaroun

What does Harry Potter mean for WDW. Simple and on topic.

krankenstein

Yeah, like all of these other huge threads have stayed on topic. :lol:

RSoxNo1

I think Disney should develop their own properties. SW/IJ are the only exception to the rule in my opinion.

And Pixar...

They already did a ToT one... :lookaroun

Tells you how much of success it was. :lol:

Like I said you get what you pay for. :ROFLOL:

Give ToT a 250 million dollar budget for writing/production/SFX/marketing and it would crush potter. :D

The Tower of Terror movie was a better movie than Haunted Mansion in my opinion. It was also done as a test of sorts in a direct to video release.

tomman710

OK, no one asked, but here are my two cents:

**Harry Potter will stand the test of time, it will last, it is solid story telling and somewhat original, however ...

**Harry Potter will never be as big as Star Wars, not counting the prequels, don't think of SW just as films but in terms of merchandising, games, etc ... in that arena alone HP can't touch SW but also in terms of how broad and far reaching the movies are, and the impact on "lives" ... SW is another dimension, there really is no debate.

**WWoHP will be good, I agree it was better in Uni's hands than Disney, more so because I am not a huge HP fan and I'd rather see the money spent on HP spent on Indy, Incredibles, a new original land for AK ... but that being said ...

**WWoHP will be good, I do not think Uni are these amazing innovators that people make them out to be. Spider-Man is an amazing ride and the main reason to go to IoA but it's not a game changer, and aside from Spider-Man nothing at IoA is especially innovative, and I will say it, HP won't be a game changer either ... it will be cool and I have no doubt about that, especially after reading whylightbulb's comments, that it will be very cool but at the end of the day it's not going to reinvent the wheel.

**After reading whylightbulb's comments I am more excited for WWoHP than I was before and I am ready to ride it but in regards to the title of this thread what does it mean for WDW? ... In short ... not much, which is sad because I wish WDW would use it as incentive to build more.

People travel to Orlando for WDW, sure it means more people will make an effort to leave the park for a day to check out WWoHP but at the end of the day they will come back.

So I think too many people are jumping down WWoHP throat, I think no doubt it will be a great attraction and area but the other people that are proclaiming it the second coming ... let's keep it in perspective. It's not a game changer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom