Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

jt04

on which part?

I'm not much for the idea of this fad being added to the Disney parks. Star Wars and Indiana Jones stood the test of time so those work but there is just something about potter-mania that just makes me glad it won't be in the Disney parks. It seems a much better fit for Universal.

The Conundrum

Original Poster
I'm not much for the idea of this fad being added to the Disney parks. Star Wars and Indiana Jones stood the test of time so those work but there is just something about potter-mania that just makes me glad it won't be in the Disney parks. It seems a much better fit for Universal.

I would argue though that Star Tours opened in 1986 just three years after the third film had been released. There was no way of knowing than wether Star Wars was just a fad or would stand the test of time (heck, there really isn't anyway of knowing now either).

Harry Potter is in the exact same boat as Star Wars and Indiana Jones and while they each had three popular films before getting attractions HP has had 7 enorumously popular books + 6 financially sucessful films under its belt. It has been compared to the great British children's fantasy books such as Peter Pan, Sherlock Holmes, Lord of the Rings, etc.

If Walt Disney was alive when her books were released I have no doubt that he would have actively went after the rights to make a film adaption based on her books just as he went after the rights for Bambi, The Hobbit, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs & Broomsticks, and many other books being released while he was alive.

EPCOT Explorer

What would that be? And how would you know?:lol: You haven't read the books. Can't just be a spectator, here....

Pete C

'm not much for the idea of this fad being added to the Disney parks. Star Wars and Indiana Jones stood the test of time so those work but there is just something about potter-mania that just makes me glad it won't be in the Disney parks. It seems a much better fit for Universal.

You are funny. It's a better fit to you now because Disney failed to obtain the rights. Had they done so you would be singing a different tune.

Fad...give me a break. So are you okay with the Cars fad being added to DCA? The Toy Story fad added to DHS? What about attractions based on a Bugs Life, Nemo, Monsters Inc, or any other PIXAR creation? What makes Harry Potter, a series rooted in 7 excellent books with more character and innovation than most Disney creations, a fad, and those other properties not? Trust me on this...Disney would kill to have J.K. Rowling's creative vision and talent on their side.

2 weeks $221.3M for the new movie. Seems like this 'fad' still has legs after what...12 years?? Yes, the HP series started 12 years ago and is still going strong with 2 more movies on the way aside from the one that was just released. Tell me how many Disney properties have been as successful as HP?

The_CEO

You are funny. It's a better fit to you now because Disney failed to obtain the rights. Had they done so you would be singing a different tune.

Fad...give me a break. So are you okay with the Cars fad being added to DCA? The Toy Story fad added to DHS? What about attractions based on a Bugs Life, Nemo, Monsters Inc, or any other PIXAR creation? What makes Harry Potter, a series rooted in 7 excellent books with more character and innovation than most Disney creations, a fad, and those other properties not?

2 weeks $221.3M for the new movie. Seems like this 'fad' still has legs after what...12 years?? Yes, the HP series started 12 years ago and is still going strong with 2 more movies on the way aside from the one that was just released. Tell me how many Disney properties have been as successful as HP?

You just got to understand some people are just ed that Disney didn't obtain rights to this cash cow. Just ignore them and smile. :)

jt04

Fad...give me a break. So are you okay with the Cars fad being added to DCA? The Toy Story fad added to DHS? What about attractions based on a Bugs Life, Nemo, Monsters Inc, or any other PIXAR creation? What makes Harry Potter, a series rooted in 7 excellent books with more character and innovation than most Disney creations, a fad, and those other properties not?

You are wrong on two points. I was very happy when Potter "negotiations" broke down. As I said, Universal is a better fit.

Second, Potter is not nor will it ever be a Disney property. Pixar stuff is. Sure some Pixar stuff may be fadish but I have no problem with Disney promoting it's own properties in the parks. I was also not comfortable with the Narnia and possible LOTR stuff for the same reason unless Disney had bought the rights to those properties. I'm glad the didn't. Narnia and/or LOTR should only be developed by the estates if at all.

I think Disney should develop their own properties. SW/IJ are the only exception to the rule in my opinion.

The Conundrum

Original Poster
You are wrong on two points. I was very happy when Potter "negotiations" broke down. As I said, Universal is a better fit.

Second, Potter is not nor will it ever be a Disney property. Pixar stuff is. Sure some Pixar stuff may be fadish but I have no problem with Disney promoting it's own properties in the parks. I was also not comfortable with the Narnia and possible LOTR stuff for the same reason unless Disney had bought the rights to those properties. I'm glad the didn't. Narnia and/or LOTR should only be developed by the estates if at all.

I think Disney should develop their own properties. SW/IJ are the only exception to the rule in my opinion.

See my last post

marsrunner

:):):):):):)

i
:lookaroun

But its so much easier to be in denial when you pretend that Harry Potter doesn't matter!
I honestly don't know why anyone responds to any of his posts. Its some kind of sickness because I've done it, too. He's the most obvious troll I've come across on a message board since I stopped posting on this one particular video gaming forum. He reminds me alot of the people who only own one console (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) for whatever reason and to justify that decision or condition they berate and belittle everything that isn't available on their system, or in this case Disney theme parks. Its sad in a way, and sometimes amusing.

jt04

See my last post

Obviously you were not around during the Star Wars era. Check the "adjusted for inflation" box office returns as that will give you a better picture.

There is one other critical point. HP fan base is much more segmented than SW was/is. I'm not saying you can't find HP fans in every demographic but Star Wars was so much more a cultural phenomenon. Now I know potterites can't accept this but it is true, and I don't intend to argue with zealots.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom