Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

The Conundrum

Original Poster
Is there are indication that in the future (be that the near future or in 2050) that more attractions will ever be added to the JP section of IOA?

There have been plans since JP opened to add:

Helicoptours - Using Soarin's Imax technology to simulate that your in a helicoptor flying low over the island seeing the dinosaurs. It would have been superior to Soarin'.

Jeep Safari - Basically a fun dark ride. It would have started out as a family attraction and then get more thrilling/intense towards the end (recreating the trex attack from the film).

But all of the plans for JP got cancelled to make way for Harry Potter (the main HP e-ticket is using the plot of land that was going to be used for Helicoptours).

Also they really need to reopen Triceratops Encounter (maybe with a new dinosaur/theme?) queue alone was so badass and awsome.

krankenstein

Found what I was looking for! Jeep Safari concept art:

Attachments

• jeepconcept1.jpg
    jeepconcept1.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 46
  • jeepconcept2.jpg
    jeepconcept2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 50
  • jeepconcept3.jpg
    jeepconcept3.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 53
  • jeepconcept4.jpg
    jeepconcept4.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 51

Dinoman96

Wait...

Was it HER idea to get rid of the dragon statues and the theming!?!?! :fork:

Ok, don't want to get too rough....but was it her idea...?

krankenstein

I found some more Safari art. This is the rest that I didn't have.

I also found this on the net, a picture of what the island was suppose to be like. To the right of the Discovery Center, you can see the Helicoptour.

Attachments

• _content_801x533_scottsherman_graph.jpg
    _content_801x533_scottsherman_graph.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 43
  • _content_801x533_scottsherman_jp-4.jpg
    _content_801x533_scottsherman_jp-4.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 58
  • _content_801x533_scottsherman_jp-5.jpg
    _content_801x533_scottsherman_jp-5.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 55
  • _content_801x533_scottsherman_jpjee.jpg
    _content_801x533_scottsherman_jpjee.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 46
  • islands 11.jpg
    islands 11.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 51

The Conundrum

Original Poster
I found some more Safari art. This is the rest that I didn't have.

I also found this on the net, a picture of what the island was suppose to be like. To the right of the Discovery Center, you can see the Helicoptour.

lmao I just spent 20 minutes searching google for these. Where on earth did you find these?

Looks like Pterasaurs would have played a role in Helicoptours and Encounter was origianlly going to have different dinosaurs.

In the second picture (the storyboard) what is the 3rd pic of the 1st column showing? (The one under the Dilophosaurus Umbrella)

Skip

I believe there are a few concept sketches showing off in-depth the Dinosaur Encounter... not sure where I saw them though, but I'll poke around.

krankenstein

lmao I just spent 20 minutes searching google for these. Where on earth did you find these?

Looks like Pterasaurs would have played a role in Helicoptours and Encounter was origianlly going to have different dinosaurs.

I am skilled at googling! :D :lol:

I still wish I could find some of the Helicoptour. I know it's out there, I've seen it! Same with Batman Island. :lookaroun

Captain Chaos

It only made $32,185,000. Harry Potter made $391 million in five days. plus Harry came out during the middle of the week. So everyone saw it wednesday-friday. That is really like the opening weekend for it. It's first weekend is more like the typical second weekend. So really, G force beating it after it's third weenend isn't really surprising. If there is a G force attraction built, it will fail.

Justin, want to check that again??? Gross for Potter is $222 million.. And counting weekends, Potter dropped 61%...

Last week's No. 1 film, "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince," came in a close second with an estimated $30 million. That's a whopping 61-percent drop from its huge opening last weekend of $79.5 million.

The sixth installment in the Harry Potter franchise has now made $222 million total, which is $14 million ahead of where part five, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix," was after 12 days in theaters in 2007. And this week, "Half-Blood Prince" will start showing on 166 IMAX screens, which the last "Harry Potter" movie did from the start.

MovieMojo has the all time box off grosses, and well, Half-Blood Price, shockingly, does not show $391 million...

Hrudey3032

Justin, want to check that again??? Gross for Potter is $222 million.. And counting weekends, Potter dropped 61%...

MovieMojo has the all time box off grosses, and well, Half-Blood Price, shockingly, does not show $391 million...

He is counting HP worldwide gross in his numbers yet for G-Force he does not. Kinda misleading is what he was doing there. The 32mil for G-Force is US and Canada only.

Captain Chaos

He is counting HP worldwide gross in his numbers yet for G-Force he does not. Kinda misleading is what he was doing there. The 32mil for G-Force is US and Canada only.

Well, going to be fair, we have to judge DOMESTIC... Since he quotes G-Force's domestic total, then he has to quote Potter's domestic total... and of course he'll quote the world-wide number for Potter... Potter will not do $300 million domestically... So, to make it look better he has to quote world-wide...

FACT: Potter dropped 61% from opening weekend...
FACT: Potter lost to G-FORCE..
FACT: G-Force will be not pull in $100 million domestically...

_Scar

Well, going to be fair, we have to judge DOMESTIC... Since he quotes G-Force's domestic total, then he has to quote Potter's domestic total... and of course he'll quote the world-wide number for Potter... Potter will not do $300 million domestically... So, to make it look better he has to quote world-wide...

FACT: Potter dropped 61% from opening weekend...
FACT: Potter lost to G-FORCE..
FACT: G-Force will be not pull in $100 million domestically...

who cares? sometimes it isn't about money... Harry Potter is quality work

Captain Chaos

who cares? sometimes it isn't about money... Harry Potter is quality work

Ohh now it is about quality??? I thought if it was quality, then people would flock to it, especially since it is timeless and everyone loves it??

Dark Knight was quality... People flocked to see it for a month straight... Potter, well, people aren't flocking to see it a week after it opened... If the quality was as high as everyone tries to make it sound, wouldn't people flock to see it, over, say G-Force, a movie that no one here thought was quality?? And please don't give me that nonsense that it has been out for 2 weeks... That doesn't fly... Again, Dark Knight took out the competition for 4 weeks in a row... Potter, 1 weekend..

Why can't people just accept the fact that the Potter craze had died down, even just a bit, and isn't at the same level it once was???

Potter fans are funny... There is always an excuse..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom