Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

Lee

Adventurer
From what i remember, JKR wanted absolute final say and total control over every aspect of HP implementation into the parks. Disney didn't like this, but Universal was more than willing to go along with it.

Actually, she went easier on Uni than she did Disney.
With Disney she was asking for things that just weren't practical.
She has been much more flexible lately with Uni....but not a lot.

Computer Magic

To make is short and sweet:
Disney wanted it.
She was interested.
Much work on concepts, design, legal, etc was done.
Headaches began.
JKR siad "I want this."
Disney said "Ummmm....won't really work. How about this instead."
JKR said "No."
Disney kinda said, "Oh, never mind."

then

Uni did this::wave:"YooHoo, Ms. Rowling!"
JKR said "I want this."
Uni said "Wellll.....:
JKR said "I get it or I walk."
Uni said "Yes ma'am"

It's much more complicated than that, but that is pretty much it. Ironically, the demands she has made of Uni are much less than what she was asking from Disney.
Was this during Eisner days? IF so, I wonder how Iger feels and/or John feels about this. This will take money out of Disney....the key is if Uni don't trip up with HP.

Computer Magic

Sound like she didn't have a choice. She probably realized she asking too much with Disney so scaled back her demans.

JustInTime

In a way, I am glad Uni got them. Look what Disney did with star Wars. It's a tiny little section of the park. It feels so cramped. If Uni had gotten the rights to Star Wars, there would be an entire lane woth multiple rides. I am sure Disney Wanted to something similar with Harry potter, who really knows. And you really can't balme her for wanting say so over her characters.

WDW1974

I know Disney ... well, WDI ... wanted HP badly ... very badly.

I also know JK isn't an easy person to work with. Of course, that was also Disney's 'excuse' behind the scenes as relationships with folks like Spielberg, Lucas, Lasseter and Jobs spun down the toilet bowl.

Disney isn't an easy Mouse to deal with either.

This is a company with a history on passing on properties ranging from Star Wars to CSI.

But if you think folks at TDO wouldn't rather see WWoHP going up in one of 'their' parks, you're crazy.

May go see Potter in the theater for the first time tonight ...

Computer Magic

I know Disney ... well, WDI ... wanted HP badly ... very badly.

I also know JK isn't an easy person to work with. Of course, that was also Disney's 'excuse' behind the scenes as relationships with folks like Spielberg, Lucas, Lasseter and Jobs spun down the toilet bowl.

Disney isn't an easy Mouse to deal with either.

This is a company with a history on passing on properties ranging from Star Wars to CSI.

But if you think folks at TDO wouldn't rather see WWoHP going up in one of 'their' parks, you're crazy.

May go see Potter in the theater for the first time tonight ...
Uni getting HP over Disney is an insult to people high up in Disney. The casual visitors is seeing a victory from UNI. Disney ego is hurt. You never want your competitor to pull one over you. I'm sure Disney didn't think UNI had a chance. I also bet JK wanted to ________ of Disney so asked for less with UNI. Egos colliding is never good for business.

The Conundrum

Original Poster
This is a prime example on why you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Except this post I just wrote. :lookaroun

Are you kidding me JT? justintime is a brand new poster and has some kind of anti-potter agenda. What happened to all that BS when you question new users about there post count and reliability? yet you are so quick to agree with new users who are inline with your own agenda?? Come on I expected alittle better from you.

krankenstein

Good to hear! I have to admit the whole entering through the Leaky Cauldron into Diagon Ally thing did sound awesome though.

JustInTime

All Disney needs to do to combat Potter is to put in a G Force ride, since that film beat Mr. Potter at the box office this weekend. Har har.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090726/ap_en_ot/us_box_office

It only made $32,185,000. Harry Potter made $391 million in five days. plus Harry came out during the middle of the week. So everyone saw it wednesday-friday. That is really like the opening weekend for it. It's first weekend is more like the typical second weekend. So really, G force beating it after it's third weenend isn't really surprising. If there is a G force attraction built, it will fail.

Lee

Adventurer
Good to hear! I have to admit the whole entering through the Leaky Cauldron into Diagon Ally thing did sound awesome though.

Awesome and entirely un-workable from an operations perspective.

WDW1974 said:
No doubt.
I'd love to hear the tales Scott Trowbridge must be telling about what they are building in the Potterbox vs. oh...say...anything Disney has in the pipeline.

Maerj

It only made $32,185,000. Harry Potter made $391 million in five days. plus Harry came out during the middle of the week. So everyone saw it wednesday-friday. That is really like the opening weekend for it. It's first weekend is more like the typical second weekend. So really, G force beating it after it's third weenend isn't really surprising. If there is a G force attraction built, it will fail.

Some of the best movies aren't box office success. Plus, G-Force will make money in the beginning and then next week will drop like 40%. Harry will remain in top 2-3 for a month I predict.

Lighten up guys, I was kidding around about the G Force ride! :lol:

The Conundrum

Original Poster
In a way, I am glad Uni got them. Look what Disney did with star Wars. It's a tiny little section of the park. It feels so cramped. If Uni had gotten the rights to Star Wars, there would be an entire lane woth multiple rides. I am sure Disney Wanted to something similar with Harry potter, who really knows. And you really can't balme her for wanting say so over her characters.

I believe this was the big reason Spielberg stayed with Universal (Just look at that Jurassic Park island at IOA that place is so awsome.)

Lucas was the best thing that ever happened to Disney and it was the dumbest thing ever when Eisner damaged the relationship.

jonnyc

I believe this was the big reason Spielberg stayed with Universal (Just look at that Jurassic Park island at IOA that place is so awsome.)

Is there are indication that in the future (be that the near future or in 2050) that more attractions will ever be added to the JP section of IOA?

krankenstein

Is there are indication that in the future (be that the near future or in 2050) that more attractions will ever be added to the JP section of IOA?

It has been discussed numerous times. I wish they would get around to adding either the jeep tours or the helicopter attraction personally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom