Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

j_dp456

I yearn to hear something like this post said about Disney again.

But then again, at least someone is doing something innovative!:D

Hit the nail on the head! but at least the movies are gonna get better.

PRINCESS AND THE FROG!

RAPUNZEL!

Now excuse me while I go change my pants.:lookaroun

jonnyc

My five-year old daughter has never seen a Twilight Zone episode, but the Tower of Terror is her absolute favorite ride. It doesn't matter what the ride is based off of, it matters if its a good attraction.

I was the same, i've since become a huge Twilight Zone fan.

Duckberg

HP & Disney?

Could someone clarify when HP was offered up to the parks both Universal & Disney bid. Was Disney just outbid, OR they just didn't think it was worth the extra money to win it for WDW? Thanks! Duckberg :veryconfu

JustInTime

Could someone clarify when HP was offered up to the parks both Universal & Disney bid. Was Disney just outbid, OR they just didn't think it was worth the extra money to win it for WDW? Thanks! Duckberg :veryconfu

From what I hear Rowling wanted UNI to have the rights. She worked with them personally. It was planned for years. I know a while back Disney wanted the rights. What the public didn't know(and at the time Disney) is that Uni already had the rights. I remember hearing on Mugglenet YEARS ago that there were plans for Harry Potter to go into The Studios in place of Millionaire. Has anyone else ever heard this too? :shrug:

jt04

From what I hear Rowling wanted UNI to have the rights. She worked with them personally. It was planned for years. I know a while back Disney wanted the rights. What the public didn't know(and at the time Disney) is that Uni already had the rights. I remember hearing on Mugglenet YEARS ago that there were plans for Harry Potter to go into The Studios in place of Millionaire. Has anyone else ever heard this too? :shrug:

This is a prime example on why you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Except this post I just wrote. :lookaroun

JustInTime

This is a prime example on why you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Except this post I just wrote. :lookaroun

Well, I personally think Mugglenet is vey reliable...more so than you. You are the one always quoting screamscape. You can't tell me Disney didn't want the rights to Harry.

jt04

Well, I personally think Mugglenet is vey reliable...more so than you. You can't tell me Disney didn't want the rights to Harry.

:brick:

If "mugglenet" :rolleyes::hurl: is so reliable, how can you have the story of Rowling/Disney so wrong?

I'm banning myself from any further Potter lunacy.

Have a nice day. :wave:

JustInTime

:brick:

If "mugglenet" :rolleyes::hurl: is so reliable, how can you have the story of Rowling/Disney so wrong?

I'm banning myself from any further Potter lunacy.

Have a nice day. :wave:

Lets hear the right story then :hurl:

Edit: Lets try to do it without quoting "Screamscape"...

jt04

Lets hear the right story then :hurl:

Edit: Lets try to do it without quoting "Screamscape"...

I'm sure someone will join in to explain it. I don't have time. Nor do I care. Some people were angry Disney lost Potter, I'm still celebrating. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
Lets hear the right story then
To make is short and sweet:
Disney wanted it.
She was interested.
Much work on concepts, design, legal, etc was done.
Headaches began.
JKR siad "I want this."
Disney said "Ummmm....won't really work. How about this instead."
JKR said "No."
Disney kinda said, "Oh, never mind."

then

Uni did this::wave:"YooHoo, Ms. Rowling!"
JKR said "I want this."
Uni said "Wellll.....:
JKR said "I get it or I walk."
Uni said "Yes ma'am"

It's much more complicated than that, but that is pretty much it. Ironically, the demands she has made of Uni are much less than what she was asking from Disney.

krankenstein

From what i remember, JKR wanted absolute final say and total control over every aspect of HP implementation into the parks. Disney didn't like this, but Universal was more than willing to go along with it. They got the rights, Disney didn't. :shrug:

JustInTime

I'm sure someone will join in to explain it. I don't have time. Nor do I care. Some people were angry Disney lost Potter, I'm still celebrating. :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

Here is the old Mugglenet post for 2007. I am not claiming to be an expert, I am just saying what I read almost two years ago...

Official Concept Art:
Hogwarts | Hogsmeade | Owl's View of Park | Logo

Latest Developments (10 AM EST):
- Official park website now open; visitors can sign up for e-mail updates.
- JK Rowling: "The plans I’ve seen look incredibly exciting, and I don’t think fans of the books or films will be disappointed."

Universal Studios and Warner Brothers made a joint announcement this evening from Leavesden Studios on the set of Dumbledore's Office to reveal that a Harry Potter theme park is currently in development. The image to the left is the first piece of concept art for the park: Hogsmeade Village.

Here's what we learned from Potter set designer Stuart Craig and a representative from Universal Studios (both of them hosted the big reveal):

- "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort"
- Announcement was made live via internet at 12:01 AM EST today to select media, including MuggleNet.
- Areas of park to include Hogsmeade, Hogwarts Castle, and the Forbidden Forest.
- 20 engineers working on project.
- Universal came to WB looking for authenticity.
- Potter park to be built in "Islands of Adventure" area of Universal.
- Stuart wants to "take his grandchildren" to the park.
- Opening early 2010.
- Universal's Potter website to be available at this link.
- JK Rowling has been involved "since the very beginning" of the project. Also "supportive and encouraging."
- Stuart thinks that the park will be better off in the United States.
- Have been in design "for at least a year and a half."
- "Important that the theme park represents the entire saga from Book 1 to Book 7"

In a rather cute way to end the announcement, the Universal representative asks Stuart Craig, "Now where's Dumbledore?" Stuart paused for a moment, looked around the office, and replied, "He was just here."

The timeline they gave of a year and half would put it indevelopment for over three years. Which means they were working on this project for years with Rowling. I personally don't care about Disney's relationship With Rowling. It is irrelevant. All I know are the facts. :wave:

JustInTime

To make is short and sweet:
Disney wanted it.
She was interested.
Much work on concepts, design, legal, etc was done.
Headaches began.
JKR siad "I want this."
Disney said "Ummmm....won't really work. How about this instead."
JKR said "No."
Disney kinda said, "Oh, never mind."

then

Uni did this::wave:"YooHoo, Ms. Rowling!"
JKR said "I want this."
Uni said "Wellll.....:
JKR said "I get it or I walk."
Uni said "Yes ma'am"

It's much more complicated than that, but that is pretty much it. Ironically, the demands she has made of Uni are much less than what she was asking from Disney.

Not too far off from what I said it my first post...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom