Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

Captain Chaos

DAK is simply a work of art. SW is a wonderful theme park that succeeds on its own merits.

I quoted you a lot tonight, but, I felt the need to quote you again...

I have to agree with you again... When I first visited DAK back when it opened, I really didn't like the park... DAK was easily the park I could give up going to... Over the last few years, I have really taking a major liking to DAK, and I can now say it is one of my favorites on Disney property... I would rather spend 2 days in DAK than 1 in DHS and 1 in DAK.... DHS has now become the park I could easily skip, other than to enter at night to see Fantasmic... DAK is magnificent... Very well themed... I just wish Disney would make it more complete though....

Captain Chaos

Everything ebbs and flows in popularity ... funny how some 70s fads/looks are suddenly hip again etc ... even Disney's characters lost a lot of popularity by the 70s and 80s if you recall ... but it didn't affect the theme parks.

People point out attractions like Splash Mountain and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride and ToT etc ... as attractions built on films/franchises that many people have never even heard of in their lifetimes. It doesn't mean the attractions aren't incredibly popular in 2009.

The bottom line is quality.

If IOA does Potter right, then it won't matter one bit if the final film is the final Potter product ever produced ... people won't care. And that assumes no new generations ever watch the films or read the books ... and I doubt that will be the case.

How many kids today love Mickey Mouse, but have never even seen one of his cartoons? A lot more than you probably think.

And while I won't compare HP to MM at this point, I will say the point still makes a whole lot of sense (he says without ego!:lol:)

Great attractions stand the test of time. Story or characters be damned.
Look at Disney ... PoC debutted in 1967 ... Small World in 1964 ... Jungle Cruise in 1955 ... yet they are all still hugely popular in 2009.

Lilo and Stitch came out in 2002. Was a huge hit. Spawned sequels, TV show and merchandise. Yet Stitch's Great Escape is only still there because it will cost to get rid of it ...

Do you see where I am going with this?

It's ultimately all about one thing whether it's Disney or Universal ... quality attractions. They'll stand the test of time no matter what. Crap, even crap based on very succesful franchises, won't.

It's a Universal truth! :D (sorry, it's 2 a.m. and I may be drinking!)

I wasn;t talking about the ride... I was talking about Potter in general.. People will ride the ride for the ride, not for it being Potter... When it first opens, sure, it will be because of it being Potter... but, like other rides, people will love it for the ride itself...

And please, don't remind me about 80's styles coming back... I grew up in the 80's seeing the style though my school years... I don't want to relive it as an adult.. :hurl: And please shoot me if B.U.M. Equipment and Cavaricci's come back in style...

_Scar

I quoted you a lot tonight, but, I felt the need to quote you again...

I have to agree with you again... When I first visited DAK back when it opened, I really didn't like the park... DAK was easily the park I could give up going to... Over the last few years, I have really taking a major liking to DAK, and I can now say it is one of my favorites on Disney property... I would rather spend 2 days in DAK than 1 in DHS and 1 in DAK.... DHS has now become the park I could easily skip, other than to enter at night to see Fantasmic... DAK is magnificent... Very well themed... I just wish Disney would make it more complete though....

We agree! Yay. I love your thoughts on this because DAK is on the bottom of a lot of people's lists, and it shouldn't be.

DAK needs a nightime show like WOC in the lagoon from EE to Tree of Life. BK expansion or any water flume type of ride. That's really all they need. I think within the next 5 years DAK will be my favorite park in the world.

Edit- HS is my skip park, too. Everything is clones besides BatB/Indy show.

CaptainMichael

I've never read the last HP book to form an opinion of an 8th book, but I think it is certainly possible. I think Twilight is giving HP a run for its money.

As far as an 8th book, Harry's story is DONE (read into that what you will), but that is not to say that there cannot be stories about his children or someone else in the Wizarding World. JKR said that she finds one of Harry's sons "very interesting" (again read into that what you will). I say give it 10 years or so, and she may be ready to delve back into the world of Harry Potter. It doesn't matter though (as much as I'd like more books), if George Lucas had left Star Wars with Return of the Jedi, people would still love Star Wars (perhaps even moreso). Like Star Wars, it will be up to parents to expose another generation to Harry Potter. I'll do my part (someday).

IMO, Twilight is just a fad in that it only applies to one demographic: women. Despite what people may think, Potter applied to all ages, genders, etc.

Captain Chaos

We agree! Yay. I love your thoughts on this because DAK is on the bottom of a lot of people's lists, and it shouldn't be.

DAK needs a nightime show like WOC in the lagoon from EE to Tree of Life. BK expansion or any water flume type of ride. That's really all they need. I think within the next 5 years DAK will be my favorite park in the world.

Edit- HS is my skip park, too. Everything is clones besides BatB/Indy show.

If it wasn't for the fact I have an annual pass, I'd skip DHS too... I'd rather spend time soaking in DAK's views... And yes, please add a nighttime show to DAK.. and yes please expand the park... But, 74 is right... I just don't think anything new will be coming to DAK for the foreseeable future... Nonetheless, I love DAK!!!!

FigmentJedi

IMO, Twilight is just a fad in that it only applies to one demographic: women. Despite what people may think, Potter applied to all ages, genders, etc.
Also the most disturbing fad I've seen. What with some of the more insane fangirls starting to literally worship the books. Or that one fan who LITERALLY jumped off a cliff because Bella did it.

Captain Chaos

As far as an 8th book, Harry's story is DONE (read into that what you will), but that is not to say that there cannot be stories about his children or someone else in the Wizarding World. JKR said that she finds one of Harry's sons "very interesting" (again read into that what you will). I say give it 10 years or so, and she may be ready to delve back into the world of Harry Potter. It doesn't matter though (as much as I'd like more books), if George Lucas had left Star Wars with Return of the Jedi, people would still love Star Wars (perhaps even moreso). Like Star Wars, it will be up to parents to expose another generation to Harry Potter. I'll do my part (someday).

Agh, Twilight will not last.... And please don't get me started on The Vampire Diaries... They are runining vampire stories!!! True Blood is a wonderful show though......

And you could be right with Potter's books and movies.... Again, I don't think it will ever die in popularity, just won't be as high as it is now... Unless she revisits it again, whether it be prequels or Potter's children...

CaptainMichael

Agh, Twilight will not last.... And please don't get me started on The Vampire Diaries... They are runining vampire stories!!! True Blood is a wonderful show though......

And you could be right with Potter's books and movies.... Again, I don't think it will ever die in popularity, just won't be as high as it is now... Unless she revisits it again, whether it be prequels or Potter's children...

I wish I had HBO, I'd love to watch True Blood.

If history has taught us anything, it's that nothing lasts forever. All good things must come to an end, but they don't have to be forgotten. That's why we have books and now movies. They serve as proof of what used to be. Star Wars isn't as popular as it once was, but it is still a cherished American Classic and will not soon be forgotten. Star Wars changed film-making forever. Potter got kids excited about reading again and gave us older folks a world to escape into (not unlike Disney).

FigmentJedi

Captain Chaos

I wish I had HBO, I'd love to watch True Blood.

If history has taught us anything, it's that nothing lasts forever. All good things must come to an end, but they don't have to be forgotten. That's why we have books and now movies. They serve as proof of what used to be. Star Wars isn't as popular as it once was, but it is still a cherished American Classic and will not soon be forgotten. Star Wars changed film-making forever. Potter got kids excited about reading again and gave us older folks a world to escape into (not unlike Disney).

Your whole last paragraph is what I am trying to say.. Thank you for putting it into better words... I can never deny the Potter craze... To deny it means you are living under a rock... I enjoyed the movies, but I haven't read the books.. That will change starting this week.. Yes, I did order all 7 books, in paper back form... Great deal for them may I add...

Potter won't die out... Neither will Star Wars or Disney... When something this good comes along, dying out completely will never happen... Unless it is a current fad, like Twilight...

SirGoofy

Twilight fangirls were EVERYWHERE at Comic-Con this year. They actually camped out in order to get into that session the first day.
As I mentioned before, there's this whole Cullenist cult behavior thing going on and yes, someone jumped off a cliff because Bella did it http://www.examiner.com/x-4908-Twil...leute-Nation-not-responsible-for-the-incident

I'm not saying it's not big, but Potter encompassed male, female, young, and old, whereas the vast majority of Twilight fans are tween girls.

CaptainMichael

Your whole last paragraph is what I am trying to say.. Thank you for putting it into better words... I can never deny the Potter craze... To deny it means you are living under a rock... I enjoyed the movies, but I haven't read the books.. That will change starting this week.. Yes, I did order all 7 books, in paper back form... Great deal for them may I add...

Potter won't die out... Neither will Star Wars or Disney... When something this good comes along, dying out completely will never happen... Unless it is a current fad, like Twilight...

Not a problem. I'm good at putting things into words (most of the time:eek: ) Funny, after arguing all day, we've come to an agreement:lol: Funny thing, the internet.

marsrunner

That's the magic (sorry :)) of Harry Potter; it appeals to every age group and both genders. I know I was skeptical after seeing the first movie (without having read the books) because it was so very childish. Then I read the books. By book three I was completely enthralled. The movies are pretty meh, but I absolutely love the books. Twilight does not (on the whole) appeal to any demographic but tweener girls. Sure there are exceptions; not everyone likes Harry Potter and not every male my age hates Twilight. But on the whole Twilight will never have the appeal that even say Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel has. And again, this is all completely beside the point as far as the attractions longevity goes, as has been said. My five-year old daughter has never seen a Twilight Zone episode, but the Tower of Terror is her absolute favorite ride. It doesn't matter what the ride is based off of, it matters if its a good attraction. Personally I'd like to see them do something challenging, like make a wonderful dark ride based on Home on the Range. Now an impressive dark ride that everyone loves based on that piece of junk would be impressive! :)
Sea World is a completely blah waste of time for me, but I understand the appeal. I could stare at the penguins all day, but I hate trained animal shows...I don't like seeing wild animals like killer whales and dolphins domesticated to any degree for the entertainment of a bunch of tourists. I'm not paying the admission price for two rides either, no matter how incredible they are.
DAK is another meh park for me. It is beautiful (the most beautiful park in WDW) but there isn't enough there that interests me. Its definitely the park I would skip. We did it in about 5 hours. We know there is more there than what we did, but stage shows have no interest for us and the animals were not terribly interesting to us either. Not saying anything against those who enjoy it. I'd much rather go to DHS and enjoy the beautiful themeing of the Tower of Terror. The ambient music, the design, everything about it is just beautiful. Doesn't hurt that I love the ride. :) Add in Muppets, RNRC (which I enjoy, I don't care what anyone else says!), Star Tours, TGMR and the Indy show and I can definitely spend a full day there. DHS does need more, though. Hopefully that will be addressed!
Sheesh, long post that probably no one wants to read! :)

FigmentJedi

Twilight doesn't just appeal to tween/teenage girls, there's quite a few middle aged women who read it too. After all, it is basically a glorified version of those old tacky romance novels with Fabio on the cover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom