Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

nibblesandbits

All of the movies are at a distinct disadvantage going in because of the density of the books, which of course have only gotten denser as we go. Finding that balance between covering the important stuff in detail and not cheating the story when it comes to what's left out has been really tough each time. For my money, the PoA movie did the best job of it so far.
I agree with you on that...but do you know how many people think that that was the worst movie by far?

imagineer boy

Go JKR!!! :sohappy:

I didn't read the review, but this spoiler-free quote from the NY times review was this: "has some lumpy passages of exposition and a couple of clunky detours -- but the overall conclusion and its determination of the main characters' story lines possess a convincing inevitability that make some of the prepublication speculation seem curiously blinkered in retrospect."

What's this a load of? Oh, a load of crap, that's right. Stupid NY Times reviewer. :mad:

Wilt Dasney

I agree with you on that...but do you know how many people think that that was the worst movie by far?

They're allowed to be wrong. :shrug: :cool:

I don't judge HP movies by the same standards that I'm sure many people who love the books do. How well the movie holds together as its own thing (i.e., how much sense it would make for someone who never had picked up a book) is more important to me than how much stuff from the book they can cram into it. :lol: :shrug:

nibblesandbits

They're allowed to be wrong. :shrug: :cool:

I don't judge HP movies by the same standards that I'm sure many people who love the books do. How well the movie holds together as its own thing (i.e., how much sense it would make for someone who never had picked up a book) is more important to me than how much stuff from the book they can cram into it. :lol: :shrug:
Oh I agree. Probably why I love that movie the most out of all of them. (One of the many reasons.)

nibblesandbits

Go JKR!!! :sohappy:

I didn't read the review, but this spoiler-free quote from the NY times review was this: "has some lumpy passages of exposition and a couple of clunky detours -- but the overall conclusion and its determination of the main characters' story lines possess a convincing inevitability that make some of the prepublication speculation seem curiously blinkered in retrospect."

What's this a load of? Oh, a load of crap, that's right. Stupid NY Times reviewer. :mad:
Um...that's interesting...:lookaroun

Wilt Dasney

I had to look it up. :lol:

blink·ered /ˈblɪŋkərd/
–adjective
1. narrow-minded and subjective; unwilling to understand another viewpoint.
2. having blinkers on; fitted with blinkers.

Sounds like the reviewer is saying "don't expect anything out of left field that the story doesn't already point to." The most obvious interpretation to me is that all the "Will Harry die???" talk ends up looking silly in the end. But maybe I'm missing the point. :shrug:

Uponastar

I had to look it up. :lol:

blink·ered /ˈblɪŋkərd/
–adjective
1. narrow-minded and subjective; unwilling to understand another viewpoint.
2. having blinkers on; fitted with blinkers.

Sounds like the reviewer is saying "don't expect anything out of left field that the story doesn't already point to." The most obvious interpretation to me is that all the "Will Harry die???" talk ends up looking silly in the end. But maybe I'm missing the point. :shrug:

Thank you!
I need an English-to-English dictionary! :D
You could be right in your opinion. It could be that JKR might feel her readers don't really want anything bad to happen to their hero. People love happy endings. Will she oblige?

k.hunter30

I'm so tempted to read the NY Times review... quick - somebody slap my wrists!

In all honesty, I'm a bit worried that I'll hear the ending before I get to read it all. I REALLY hope this doesn't happen.

Speaking of that - if anyone on here wants to post about what happens in the book, can we all agree to write "SPOILER" before beginning our post? And maybe typing our post in white so people aren't tempted to read?

Uponastar

I'm so tempted to read the NY Times review... quick - somebody slap my wrists!

In all honesty, I'm a bit worried that I'll hear the ending before I get to read it all. I REALLY hope this doesn't happen.

Speaking of that - if anyone on here wants to post about what happens in the book, can we all agree to write "SPOILER" before beginning our post? And maybe typing our post in white so people aren't tempted to read?

Great idea Kat!
I don't want to see ANYTHING till I've read the book!
Not even a hint!

nibblesandbits

Great idea Kat!
I don't want to see ANYTHING till I've read the book!
Not even a hint!
I think that it's been stated that somebody is going to start a spoiler thread for the book...however, those who do put spoilers in this thread...should definitely put some notice in it.

Number_6

I really wasn't a fan of the third movie. It wasn't just about things being left out, either. Though a couple of things that would have added maybe five minutes, tops, to the movie would have been nice to see. Like maybe Remus letting Harry know that he was the "Mooney" referred to by the Marauder's Map and that James was "Prongs." Sirius being "Padfoot" and Peter Pettigrew being "Wormtail" as well. My mother-in-law for example has not read any of the books. Sirius being referred to as "Padfoot" in OotP confused her and she ended up having to ask who the rest of them were. But really, the thing that got me was some of his stylized changes to the way things looked or felt. He decided to totally redesign Hogwarts from the ground up. Made the Whomping Willow seem like it was much farther from the school grounds than it is. The werewolf effects were totally craptastic, IMO. And the previously mentioned ending was just an absolute joke. Those things made PoA my least favorite of the movies, while it is still my favorite of the books.

imagineer boy

I actually kinda liked the new location of the whomping willow. I believe in the book it was described as being at the endge of the forbidden forrest rather than right next to the school like in CoS. And I don't know, I though the werwolf effects looked good. :shrug: But I agree the Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs plot line was a major plot line that they carelessly left out. I can imagine how confused the people who haven't read the books would be.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Use E5F0FD as the color for truly invisible text. It will match the background and you will have to highlight it in order to read a spoiler.

Highlight below: (NOT A SPOILER!)

Use E5F0FD as the color for truly invisible text. It will match the background and you will have to highlight it in order to read a spoiler.

This is done like this:

PHP:
[color=#E5F0FD]Use E5F0FD as the color for truly invisible text. It will match the background and you will have to highlight it in order to read a spoiler.[/COLOR]

nibblesandbits

Highlight below: (NOT A SPOILER!)

This is done like this:

PHP:
[color=#E5F0FD]Use E5F0FD as the color for truly invisible text. It will match the background and you will have to highlight it in order to read a spoiler.[/COLOR]
I always wondered how to do that

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom