Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

Wilt Dasney

*feels guilty about that*:(

I won't do it this time.

:lol:

I was trying not to be too specific, but....yeah.

Actually, it sort of helped muddy things up for me a bit, though, because I had ALREADY been spoiled that Snape was the Prince :mad:, so your "evil" avatar made me more confused than ever...which was kind of good. :lol: :wave:

CaptainMichael

:lol:

I was trying not to be too specific, but....yeah.

Actually, it sort of helped muddy things up for me a bit, though, because I had ALREADY been spoiled that Snape was the Prince :mad:, so your "evil" avatar made me more confused than ever...which was kind of good. :lol: :wave:

Well, we already knew Snape was an evil git anyway:fork:

Connor002

I would have liked the movie extended 30 minutes just for some more adult scenes.
What are your thoughts on Gambon as Dumbledore?

Thank god you ask. I hate making straight-out lists of criticisms.

-I agree with many others, the pace was very fast, and glazed over too much for my taste. While I'll always defend that the filmmakers must manage within a relatively small time slot (Quick math: 870 pages/138 minutes= 6.3043478260869565217391304347826 pages per minute), it's almost physically painful to think of everything else that could have been included. Even without side plots, I think some scenes could have been extended to show more of the emotion and cerebral activities; I think the Harry/Voldy mental links sets you up for the fact that the entire book is a collection of differing motives, back-stories, and conflicts, both outright and figurative, and it would have been great if more of that was show. But as you mention, that would venture more into adult territory, and kids can only appreciate subtle drama so much. :shrug:

-Gambon definitely had a better understanding of Dumbledore this time around, but at the same time, it's hard to say. I really don't think he had all that much screen time. Which is actually a gripe I have for the entire staff, that is, I would have loved to see more of the conflict between the staff at Hogwarts and Umbridge, especially McGonagle and Umbridge. I would have sat for a six hour movie if it meant we would see more of their arguments.

Michael said:
Radcliffe has grown on me...not sure about the haircut in OotP though...does costuming/hair read the books? The scene that really ticked me off was the Wizengamot scene where Harry's hair was combed...in the book it won't go down no matter what Mrs. Weasley tries:fork:
I think, to an extent, Daniel doesn't have that much to work with (how many angry and sad faces can you make :shrug: ), but he's never been a favorite of mine.

The hair, yes, I remember now. That would have been a nice touch (any additions with the Weasleys would suit me; if Mrs. Weasley suffers in the last book, I'll bawl. :lookaroun ). Overall I though the Wizengamot scene was good, but, much like everything, rushed.

Connor002

Since we're all gathered here, can we make one small pact not to put any revelatory stuff in avatars or sigs after finishing the book? I knew more than I really cared to about the plot of Half-Blood Prince before I finished it, partially because of things I saw on here from folks who had already finished it and started dressing up their avatars.
If anyone spoiles it form me, I'll make the Cruciatus Curse look like a boo-boo. :)

:lookaroun
It's going to be so sad finishing the book....It'll be hard letting the series go. I've grown up with the books and movies. :( At least we still have the movies to look forward to.
I agree...

Nicole220

Since we're all gathered here, can we make one small pact not to put any revelatory stuff in avatars or sigs after finishing the book? I knew more than I really cared to about the plot of Half-Blood Prince before I finished it, partially because of things I saw on here from folks who had already finished it and started dressing up their avatars.
*raises one hand and puts the other on the Bible* I promise to not spoil anything!

I know how mad I'd be if this book (or anything like this) was spoiled before I read it. I wouldn't dare do it to any of you knowing how I would feel.

My avatar and sig are staying till I get tired of the Harry Potter theme...no spoilers from me.

This is the only site I feel safe looking at right now. All the other sites keep talking about the leaked pages that got posted on the internet.

Just making sure but, will it be alright to post spoilers in this thread?

imagineer boy

*sigh* Yes, its going to be very hard to finish reading the book. Gosh, two of my favourite book series have ended, the Series of Unfortunate Events and now HP. But like someone else said, there will still be the movies to look forward to. I can imagine that they'll make the seventh movie to brilliant, oscar winning perfection.

Connor002

NY Times posts early review of DH
dh.jpg
The leaks surrounding Deathly Hallows continue to mount. Today, the New York Times managed to obtain a copy of the book from an unnamed New York City bookstore and posted a review on their website.

Note: The review contains many major spoilers. If you haven't already had it spoiled for you, hold out on reading this - only a few more days, guys!

(Mugglenet)

DAMN YOU NEW YORK TIMES!
Lousy bunch of inbred left-wing spoilsports...

Wilt Dasney

I can imagine that they'll make the seventh movie to brilliant, oscar winning perfection.

All of the movies are at a distinct disadvantage going in because of the density of the books, which of course have only gotten denser as we go. Finding that balance between covering the important stuff in detail and not cheating the story when it comes to what's left out has been really tough each time. For my money, the PoA movie did the best job of it so far.

CaptainMichael

dh.jpg
The leaks surrounding Deathly Hallows continue to mount. Today, the New York Times managed to obtain a copy of the book from an unnamed New York City bookstore and posted a review on their website.

Note: The review contains many major spoilers. If you haven't already had it spoiled for you, hold out on reading this - only a few more days, guys!

(Mugglenet)

DAMN YOU NEW YORK TIMES!
Are you serious??? They have to be violating something...get 'em Scholastic/Bloomsbury!

imagineer boy

Key word bolded.

We'll see I guess. I can personally see them though, putting the most effort into it than all the other HP movies.

dh.jpg

(Mugglenet)

DAMN YOU NEW YORK TIMES!

:ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL: :ROFLOL:

But because of the spoilers, I refuse to read tha article. But what exactly did they say about it? Did they like it?

CaptainMichael

All of the movies are at a distinct disadvantage going in because of the density of the books, which of course have only gotten denser as we go. Finding that balance between covering the important stuff in detail and not cheating the story when it comes to what's left out has been really tough each time. For my money, the PoA movie did the best job of it so far.
Because it wasn't a very dense book. It's my least favorite *awaits flaming*

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom