"Guide to Disney World on main page of CNN.com; promotes dodging paying for parking!!

bruce1959

I used to park at the Contemporary and then walk over but still had to pay for parking. Too much security now. I must say that the Downtown Disney idea is pretty good.

TimNRA757

The way I see it is you're paying for parking to park 'close'. As in, some parks charge extra for 'preferred parking' well here just parking at the park could be considered 'preferred" and that is how you justify the cost instead of parking way far away and having to deal with the transportation issue.

NewfieFan

having to wait behind one person while they do 12 fastpasses for their entire family is the most annoying f***ing thing in the world.

But it takes less time than waiting for a family of 12 to get a FP each!?! :shrug:

I hate the fact that you can't take a bus to DTD from the parks... and the whole reason they did that was b/c of people abusing the parking at DTD. (I didn't say stealing but I did say abusing!) I wish they still ran a bus from DTD to the parks but make it resort guests specific, maybe you would HAVE to show some sort of valid guest ID to use the bus... this would still be quicker than the current set up!

frcouk83

Please add to his list of questionable statements

4. Look beyond the biggies
....Epcot's Mission: Space (a thrilling virtual space flight) commanding hour-long waits, it pays to go where the action isn't.

Mission:Space...REALLY...He should have said something like...Soarin' or Test Track...not Mission:Space

-and-

Epcot's Sum of All Thrills is no less exciting than Mission: Space, but for whatever reason, I've never waited more than 15 minutes for it.

Again...I think there is a big difference in the two.
:shrug:

Tigger1988

Please add to his list of questionable statements

4. Look beyond the biggies
....Epcot's Mission: Space (a thrilling virtual space flight) commanding hour-long waits, it pays to go where the action isn't.

Mission:Space...REALLY...He should have said something like...Soarin' or Test Track...not Mission:Space

Right? I haven't seen MS with anything over a 30 minute wait in years. Maybe I'm missing something...

Victor Kelly

Let everyone park at DTD then take a bus to the park. When they get there and hour or more after opening and have to wait in longer lines then the word SUCKERS comes to mind. Yes paying to park stinks and adds more money to the budget, but for the most part you are within walking distance to the park (except MK, in which case it is the TTC.)

We plan to always be POP century guests, so we will not have to worry about it at all.

lazyboy97o

The way I see it is you're paying for parking to park 'close'. As in, some parks charge extra for 'preferred parking' well here just parking at the park could be considered 'preferred" and that is how you justify the cost instead of parking way far away and having to deal with the transportation issue.
Not really. Disney specifically ended bus service between the theme parks and Downtown Disney to curb people from parking for free.

Of course, nothing beats the free valet parking I get at Universal Orlando.

And on top of THAT... Only one person is SORT of watching the parade as it passes by.

It's really a funny picture, when you sit and think about it.

Look at it again; the castle is leaning towards the left. So the horizontal plane is off in the photo...which is weird because it can't be hard to get a publicity still from the MK can it? Or take one yourself?

Just seems like a funny/stupid thing to put time into. I think this is a photohop fail.

R W B

After reading more responses from my last post in this thread I do have to agree that Disney could stop people parking at DTD all day to go park hopping if they really wanted to. But then like someone mentioned, chances are most people who do that will buy those $5 coffees or have breakfast/Dinner there or go buy merchandise since they're already there. Some may think that if your too cheap to pay $14 to park ($14x a 7 day trip=$98) then no way you would spend money on other things but I thinks thats wrong. I dont mind spending money, just hate paying to park anywhere.

I go to alot of New Orleans Saints and Hornets games and will be buying season tickets to our new AFL team, the VooDoo but I dont park as close as possible in the $30 lots. I go down the street to the $5 or $10 lots and walk a little. I do agree that you pay for the convenience of being so close to the parks.

Last July when I was there, I could of swore we took a bus from DAK to DTD one night. Did bus service just stop from parks to DTD?

Another question I have is, if I have a park hopper ticket and start out by parking at epcot and paying $14 then abut 3pm I go to DHS do i have to pay another $14 or is there a pass I would get at Epcot showing I already paid?

puntagordabob

Yeah, I know, right? I used to steal pies from the local Publix 'cause the bakery is right by the door and I knew I could take them out without anyone seeing me. And I told a few friends about it, and they all love pies as much as I do. Then this guy in the local paper (who calls himelf a Publix fan!) starts talking about how anyone can get a free pie from Publix! Assuming a large percentage tries to take a pie now, Publix is going to be hurting! People like that burn me up! I mean, I like to steal things, and I encourage my friends to steal, but I would never encourage, like, a whole lot of people to steal. What's going to be left for me to take if everyone does it? Am I right, people?

(Yes, this is irony.)

I could use different words to describe your post, but I am too polite.

AEfx

It's the dumbest tip ever.

"I just spent $80+ to come to the park, but am so chintzy to save $14 I'm going to park somewhere where I have to take a bus back and forth from and spend 2 hours out of my day waiting/hoping for/riding busses".

Seriously, some people are crazy...and we all know you don't park at DTD or the water parks, you park at the hotels... ;)

Billy6

After reading more responses from my last post in this thread I do have to agree that Disney could stop people parking at DTD all day to go park hopping if they really wanted to. But then like someone mentioned, chances are most people who do that will buy those $5 coffees or have breakfast/Dinner there or go buy merchandise since they're already there. Some may think that if your too cheap to pay $14 to park ($14x a 7 day trip=$98) then no way you would spend money on other things but I thinks thats wrong. I dont mind spending money, just hate paying to park anywhere.

I go to alot of New Orleans Saints and Hornets games and will be buying season tickets to our new AFL team, the VooDoo but I dont park as close as possible in the $30 lots. I go down the street to the $5 or $10 lots and walk a little. I do agree that you pay for the convenience of being so close to the parks.

Last July when I was there, I could of swore we took a bus from DAK to DTD one night. Did bus service just stop from parks to DTD?

Another question I have is, if I have a park hopper ticket and start out by parking at epcot and paying $14 then abut 3pm I go to DHS do i have to pay another $14 or is there a pass I would get at Epcot showing I already paid?

Parking at the parks is good for all day. Just show the stub/ticket at the next booth and they will wave you through.

Cosmic Commando

To call it stealing implies that a cop would arrest you if he saw you waiting for a bus at DtD at 9 AM, but I would definitely say it's dishonest. Parking at DtD is free to encourage people (locals and offsite guests especially I'm guessing) to patronize the shops there. If I were Cirque du Soleil or Harley Davidson or House of Blues, I wouldn't be happy that people are making it more difficult for my customers to get to my business so that they can save on theme park parking. You could also say that there's no such thing as free parking. Presumably the rent that the non-Disney businesses pay goes in part to maintenance of the parking lots, so your free parking is being subsidized by the tenants at DtD.

But in the "thieves' " defense, when the price for something is so high (and $14 for parking must bring in a ridiculous amount of money), you do create a black or grey market economy. In New York State, there are really high cigarette taxes that were originally supposed to fund anti-smoking campaigns. Eventually, the money went into the general fund and the taxes were raised whenever the politicians needed some extra money. There are Indian reservations about 30 mins away from where I live where you don't pay the NYS taxes on cigarettes. Shockingly, many people will drive to the reservation to get something that they could get at the corner store if they were willing to pay more.

WDWFigment

To call it stealing implies that a cop would arrest you if he saw you waiting for a bus at DtD at 9 AM, but I would definitely say it's dishonest. Parking at DtD is free to encourage people (locals and offsite guests especially I'm guessing) to patronize the shops there. If I were Cirque du Soleil or Harley Davidson or House of Blues, I wouldn't be happy that people are making it more difficult for my customers to get to my business so that they can save on theme park parking. You could also say that there's no such thing as free parking. Presumably the rent that the non-Disney businesses pay goes in part to maintenance of the parking lots, so your free parking is being subsidized by the tenants at DtD.

But in the "thieves' " defense, when the price for something is so high (and $14 for parking must bring in a ridiculous amount of money), you do create a black or grey market economy. In New York State, there are really high cigarette taxes that were originally supposed to fund anti-smoking campaigns. Eventually, the money went into the general fund and the taxes were raised whenever the politicians needed some extra money. There are Indian reservations about 30 mins away from where I live where you don't pay the NYS taxes on cigarettes. Shockingly, many people will drive to the reservation to get something that they could get at the corner store if they were willing to pay more.

I guess my morals are looser than those of many other posters here, but I tend to err on the side of "morally permissible" when it comes to exploiting any loophole (that, as you say, wouldn't get you arrested in the "real" world) that Disney leaves open.

As I see it, Disney fleeces its guests plenty, why shouldn't the guests react in kind? Moreover, if these loopholes were really causing issues for Disney, the solutions are entirely within the Company's means. Its failure to act may not necessarily sanction the activity, but it does say something.

As an AP holder who doesn't drive anyway, we've never used this trick (nor would I as my time is more valuable than this), but more power to those who do.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Maybe it is just me, but the last thing that I will do it take travel advice from someone who thinks that spending anywhere form 1 to 2 hours waiting on and riding on a bus each way is worth saving $14. I will not even bring up the fact that doing this makes getting to a park at opening, one of the biggest time savers in all of WDW, impossible. Also if you park at a water park and stay to a park to midnight you will be taking a cab or to retrieve it. Lastly he left the most easy way to get free parking at WDW. (Don't ask. I am not telling).

ParkMan73

I don't find it stealing or dishonest - it's just knowing how to use the system Disney provided to minimize expense. Trying to equate it to some moral standard just seems silly.

Taking buses to save $14 just doesn't make a lot of sense. If I'm spending thousands of dollars for a Disney vacation, the last thing I'm going to do is take an hour or two out of my day to save $14 a day. Bet then again, that's why I spend the extra money to stay at the Boardwalk (or similar) to save as many bus trips as possible.

I guess my morals are looser than those of many other posters here, but I tend to err on the side of "morally permissible" when it comes to exploiting any loophole (that, as you say, wouldn't get you arrested in the "real" world) that Disney leaves open.

As I see it, Disney fleeces its guests plenty, why shouldn't the guests react in kind? Moreover, if these loopholes were really causing issues for Disney, the solutions are entirely within the Company's means. Its failure to act may not necessarily sanction the activity, but it does say something.

As an AP holder who doesn't drive anyway, we've never used this trick (nor would I as my time is more valuable than this), but more power to those who do.

Yes. I agree with everything that's said here. If Disney were being hurt financially by this practice then don't you think they'd react in such a way that ends the practice or keeps them from being hurt by it? We're talking about a company that has figured out how to charge people up to $15 or $20 dollars for small pieces of mass produced colorful metal (pins)...you don't think they'd figure out a way to end this practice if they saw it as "stealing" or hurtful to their bottom line?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom