"Guide to Disney World on main page of CNN.com; promotes dodging paying for parking!!

NewfieFan

Crap writing.

The author lives in Tampa and he as been to WDW, by his own admission hundreds of times.

He then states his family has never paid for parking because they use DTD or Water Parks, or Resorts.

I am pretty sure if he is Mr. Frugal, he is not paying the $82 a day admission he claims in the article. He has an AP. And if so, he has free parking.

My take, anyone who has been to WDW 100's of times knows that you can park for free. They also know how much of a PIA it can be. They also know that it can be a hot button item. I say he threw that in there to get a rise out of people (also with the sleeping in the HOP comments). Maybe he is hoping he will get a lot of traffic on the CNN site and be able to say "See how popular I am, look at all the comments - pay me more money"

-dave

Those were my exact thoughts!

puntagordabob

We all know a lot of people do the parking...and I am sure that there are not many of us on here innocent either of either doing just that or telling friends or family(and I am saying nothing beyond that)....but to promote it to the general public on mass media like CNN or MSNBC which by virtue of its audience sizes can suddenly queue in thousands of cars to the various locations he listed makes me think this guy is a Jackasssssss! Most people would never consider that a free way exists and would drive into the lot with their $14 in hand...now thanks to this idiot (and others like him) Disney is getting screwed (assuming a large % tries it now). Why would someone who claims they love Disney try to screw them in Mass Quantity-like numbers is beyond me..... at least (like a previous poster wrote) didnt mention "other" places .....

People like that really burn me up.....

tizzo

The title pretty much sums it up...

There's an article on the main page of CNN.com that has some WDW tips (a couple of which I hadn't thought of before, at least directly), and one of them is to never pay for parking.

Can't imagine Disney is too excited about THAT one. :lookaroun

Here's the link:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/03/01/bt.disney.world/index.html?hpt=C2

I think Disney knows a little bit more than you're giving them credit for.

I'm sure from their perspective, parking at the parks costs more because it's worth more. I dare say it's a lot easier to get even into MK from their parking lot that it is to get anywhere from DTD or the water parks.

Plus, there's value to Disney in driving traffic to places offering the opportunity to spend money. So if you park at DTD and take the bus, they're out the $14 parking fee, but now they've got the $3 or $4 (per person) you spent on that coffee and the $25 or $50 on souvenirs for the kids.

After all, this is Disney. If they didn't want you to do these things, they would figure out a way to keep you from doing them.

jDoor

Banned
ive been touting the parking at downtown disney thing for the last year but because its longer travel time, my relaitves wont do it.
oh well...

Downtown disney works.... but keep in mind you'll have to travel to a resort first as transport from DtD is ONLY to the resorts..

Oh yeah, and BTW.... it's also STEALING..... would you grab a gallon of milk off the truck because the milk man isn'tl looking? same difference.. thats not what the 'free' lots are for..

people are going to ________ things up for everyone.

Slowjack

We all know a lot of people do the parking...and I am sure that there are not many of us on here innocent either of either doing just that or telling friends or family(and I am saying nothing beyond that)....but to promote it to the general public on mass media like CNN or MSNBC which by virtue of its audience sizes can suddenly queue in thousands of cars to the various locations he listed makes me think this guy is a Jackasssssss! Most people would never consider that a free way exists and would drive into the lot with their $14 in hand...now thanks to this idiot (and others like him) Disney is getting screwed (assuming a large % tries it now). Why would someone who claims they love Disney try to screw them in Mass Quantity-like numbers is beyond me..... at least (like a previous poster wrote) didnt mention "other" places .....

People like that really burn me up.....

Yeah, I know, right? I used to steal pies from the local Publix 'cause the bakery is right by the door and I knew I could take them out without anyone seeing me. And I told a few friends about it, and they all love pies as much as I do. Then this guy in the local paper (who calls himelf a Publix fan!) starts talking about how anyone can get a free pie from Publix! Assuming a large percentage tries to take a pie now, Publix is going to be hurting! People like that burn me up! I mean, I like to steal things, and I encourage my friends to steal, but I would never encourage, like, a whole lot of people to steal. What's going to be left for me to take if everyone does it? Am I right, people?

(Yes, this is irony.)

Wilt Dasney

I'm still guessing that it takes a certain mentality to try these methods, once you know what they involve.

The DTD bus system is specifically designed to make it as much of a PITA as possible to get to a park from there...to the point that it's almost not worth going over there even for legitimate reasons if you're not driving and want to get to a park later.

I've never tried the water park/golf options, but they don't sound very convenient either.

With all the extra time and hassle it takes to pull these stunts (especially the DTD one), you have to be really eager to save 14 bucks. It's just not going to be worth it to most people...I would think, anyway.

Monsterfan99

Did I miss how this was considered stealing? Nowhere does it say "Must pay for parking to enter the park." There is also nothing that says you must be shopping at DTD to park there. The buses are free to everyone and will run regardless of if John Doe and his family are on it or not. Comparing this to stealing food is moronic at best.

Much like every workaround at Disney, if they wanted to stop it, they would. Not only does Disney get people at locations that less people go to, but also is able to advertise via in-bus ads. End the end they come out ahead or at the very worst it's a push.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I remember during one of my first trips to WDW we where staying at a hotel on the park and had to show a reservation sheet to not to have to pay for parking at the gate into the Magic Kingdom. This stopped years ago. I hope that articles like this one do not make Disney to start rethinking its rules. I know that when I parked in overflow parking at the BWVs two years ago I always placed a parking pass in the window.

WDWFigment

Yeah, I know, right? I used to steal pies from the local Publix 'cause the bakery is right by the door and I knew I could take them out without anyone seeing me. And I told a few friends about it, and they all love pies as much as I do. Then this guy in the local paper (who calls himelf a Publix fan!) starts talking about how anyone can get a free pie from Publix! Assuming a large percentage tries to take a pie now, Publix is going to be hurting! People like that burn me up! I mean, I like to steal things, and I encourage my friends to steal, but I would never encourage, like, a whole lot of people to steal. What's going to be left for me to take if everyone does it? Am I right, people?

(Yes, this is irony.)

How is this stealing?

Here in Indianapolis, the parking lot by the stadium downtown charges $20. If I park down the street, it's free. Unfortunately, there's the added inconvenience of taking a cab ($5) or walking to get to the stadium from the free parking.

At Walt Disney World, the parking lot by Magic Kingdom charges $15 (that might be wrong, the exact number is irrelevant for this discussion). If I park at Downtown Disney, there is no charge. Unfortunately, there's the added inconvenience of taking a cab ($?) or bus (free) to get to the Magic Kingdom.

For those who are going to claim that the distinction is that Downtown Disney parking is only "meant" for those shopping there and the bus system only "meant" for those staying in WDW resorts: I've never seen any signs on the buses or at DtD stating as much. You'd think if that were the case, there would be some indication. I know parking around here indicates if it costs money, and buses state their fares.

Wilt Dasney

Calling it stealing is definitely a stretch in my mind.

At worst, I would say it's inconsiderate toward people who are in those lots to use the immediate amenities (shops, water parks or golf courses). They don't have a backup option if all the spaces are taken by park visitors.

I don't have any sympathy toward Disney for the lost revenue, because they have the ability to change these practices if they want.

tizzo

I remember during one of my first trips to WDW we where staying at a hotel on the park and had to show a reservation sheet to not to have to pay for parking at the gate into the Magic Kingdom. This stopped years ago. I hope that articles like this one do not make Disney to start rethinking its rules. I know that when I parked in overflow parking at the BWVs two years ago I always placed a parking pass in the window.

It's probably a special case because of the BW "entertainment district", or whatever they call it, but I understand that BW parking is free period. I was there just last weekend (for the first time actually), told the guard why I was there and asked if there was separate parking for non-resort guests, and he said no. I showed him photo ID and he said to go straight for valet (presumably not free), or turn left for self-park.

DisneyLeo18

Downtown disney works.... but keep in mind you'll have to travel to a resort first as transport from DtD is ONLY to the resorts..

Oh yeah, and BTW.... it's also STEALING..... would you grab a gallon of milk off the truck because the milk man isn'tl looking? same difference.. thats not what the 'free' lots are for..

people are going to ________ things up for everyone.

I disagree with this comparison, here's mine:

If they were giving away free milk at the supermarket if you lived in that town, but they did not monitor who took the milk... then yes I would take some. :lol:

Wilt Dasney

I disagree with this comparison, here's mine:

If they were giving away free milk at the supermarket if you lived in that town, but they did not monitor who took the milk... then yes I would take some. :lol:
Or if the supermarket charged a premium for the best milk, but gave away stuff that was slightly out of date or came from less reputable dairies.

In this case, the best product (parking outside the gates) comes with a price, and a less appealing option (parking far away and dealing with transportation) is free.

wdwfan100

Calling it stealing is definitely a stretch in my mind.

At worst, I would say it's inconsiderate toward people who are in those lots to use the immediate amenities (shops, water parks or golf courses). They don't have a backup option if all the spaces are taken by park visitors.

I don't have any sympathy toward Disney for the lost revenue, because they have the ability to change these practices if they want.

How is this stealing?

Here in Indianapolis, the parking lot by the stadium downtown charges $20. If I park down the street, it's free. Unfortunately, there's the added inconvenience of taking a cab ($5) or walking to get to the stadium from the free parking.

At Walt Disney World, the parking lot by Magic Kingdom charges $15 (that might be wrong, the exact number is irrelevant for this discussion). If I park at Downtown Disney, there is no charge. Unfortunately, there's the added inconvenience of taking a cab ($?) or bus (free) to get to the Magic Kingdom.

For those who are going to claim that the distinction is that Downtown Disney parking is only "meant" for those shopping there and the bus system only "meant" for those staying in WDW resorts: I've never seen any signs on the buses or at DtD stating as much. You'd think if that were the case, there would be some indication. I know parking around here indicates if it costs money, and buses state their fares.

I for the most part agree that this is not stealing. As long as the parking is done at locations that are intended to open and available to the general public, I can't see how that could be stealing. Now people who park at the resorts, since that parking is intended for the resort and its restaurant guests than I would think that is an abuse of the system.

Birdflu

having to wait behind one person while they do 12 fastpasses for their entire family is the most annoying f***ing thing in the world.

lazyboy97o

Crap writing.

The author lives in Tampa and he as been to WDW, by his own admission hundreds of times.

He then states his family has never paid for parking because they use DTD or Water Parks, or Resorts.

I am pretty sure if he is Mr. Frugal, he is not paying the $82 a day admission he claims in the article. He has an AP. And if so, he has free parking.
He also makes a comment about being a short walk to the resort. It kind of sounded like avoiding having to pay even though parking is also included in all on-property resort stays.

Much easier to just walk into Saratoga Springs than transfer if you are at Downtown Disney. I do it whenever I feel like taking a mid-day break from the park and go to Downtown Disney, one of the few times I take the bus, leaving my car at a good spot in the park's lot.

mrerk

Premium Member
I for the most part agree that this is not stealing. As long as the parking is done at locations that are intended to open and available to the general public, I can't see how that could be stealing. Now people who park at the resorts, since that parking is intended for the resort and its restaurant guests than I would think that is an abuse of the system.

So by that logic isn't DTD parking intended for DTD guests? TL parking for TL guests?

I also agree that it is not stealing, but it is definately a misuse. I guess they need to put up signs like they have at the resorts stating that parking is for resort guests only.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom