"Guide to Disney World on main page of CNN.com; promotes dodging paying for parking!!

eilie

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why can't Disney start running buses to and from Downtown Disney and the theme parks after a certain time in the day? For example, maybe bus service between DTD and the parks could begin, say, after 2:00, once most people who were trying to get to a theme park that day have already arrived? It seems like this would eliminate much of the problem with the parking "freeloaders" (or whatever), but still allow theme park guests easy access to Downtown Disney.

I for one have always stayed on property, but I haven't been to Downtown Disney in years - ever since Disney stopped running the buses there from the parks. I spend most of my time in the parks, and it's too much of a hassle to get to Downtown Disney if I don't have a car. Why should I have to go back to my resort first (or another) to transfer? I would happily grab a bus from the parks to Downtown Disney for an afternoon break or an evening after an early park closing, but that isn't readily available. Oh well, their loss.

Wilt Dasney

I for one have always stayed on property, but I haven't been to Downtown Disney in years - ever since Disney stopped running the buses there from the parks. I spend most of my time in the parks, and it's too much of a hassle to get to Downtown Disney if I don't have a car. Why should I have to go back to my resort first (or another) to transfer? I would happily grab a bus from the parks to Downtown Disney for an afternoon break or an evening after an early park closing, but that isn't readily available. Oh well, their loss.
I wonder if some of the "decline" of DTD we've read about lately can be attributed to guests just avoiding the place because of the hassle to get there and back.

It doesn't even make sense not to run buses from the parks to DTD, just the other way around.

wdwfan100

So by that logic isn't DTD parking intended for DTD guests? TL parking for TL guests?

I also agree that it is not stealing, but it is definately a misuse. I guess they need to put up signs like they have at the resorts stating that parking is for resort guests only.

I understand your point. I personally don't classify DTD parking that restrictively. There are no guards houses asking why you are visiting the area etc. So I look at it as general parking not solely DTD parking. I can see where one could disagree with my position though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why can't Disney start running buses to and from Downtown Disney and the theme parks after a certain time in the day? For example, maybe bus service between DTD and the parks could begin, say, after 2:00, once most people who were trying to get to a theme park that day have already arrived? It seems like this would eliminate much of the problem with the parking "freeloaders" (or whatever), but still allow theme park guests easy access to Downtown Disney.

At one time Disney did run buses between DTD and the parks but so many people were parking at DTD and then taking the buses to the parks that it became a real problem that Disney had to address. They discontinued the park to DTD bus routes more so due to the fact that people who wanted to go to DTD could not find parking. DTD is an area that was accessed nearly as much by locals as it is by WDW guests. When all of the pros and cons were laid out getting rid of the buses was the best solution.

eilie

At one time Disney did run buses between DTD and the parks but so many people were parking at DTD and then taking the buses to the parks that it became a real problem that Disney had to address. They discontinued the park to DTD bus routes more so due to the fact that people who wanted to go to DTD could not find parking. DTD is an area that was accessed nearly as much by locals as it is by WDW guests. When all of the pros and cons were laid out getting rid of the buses was the best solution.

Thanks! Yeah, I completely understand why Disney stopped running the buses entirely, I just don't understand why they can't run buses during the second half of the day, when presumably most people who want to get to a theme park have already parked.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thanks! Yeah, I completely understand why Disney stopped running the buses entirely, I just don't understand why they can't run buses during the second half of the day, when presumably most people who want to get to a theme park have already parked.
I would assume that it was a problem no matter what time they ran them.

Cosmic Commando

I guess my morals are looser than those of many other posters here, but I tend to err on the side of "morally permissible" when it comes to exploiting any loophole (that, as you say, wouldn't get you arrested in the "real" world) that Disney leaves open.

Everyone has their line. Mine is drawn when I have two adults and a child on the DDP and the room just has a big pool of counter service credits attached to it, not differentiated between adult and child. Is the impetus on me to keep track of how many adult meals we've used versus how many kid meals? Sorry, I'm on vacation. :cool:

WDWFigment

At one time Disney did run buses between DTD and the parks but so many people were parking at DTD and then taking the buses to the parks that it became a real problem that Disney had to address. They discontinued the park to DTD bus routes more so due to the fact that people who wanted to go to DTD could not find parking. DTD is an area that was accessed nearly as much by locals as it is by WDW guests. When all of the pros and cons were laid out getting rid of the buses was the cheapest solution.

Fixed that for you. ;)

flavious27

Looks like some changes will be coming to wdw. Are there any transfers from BB or TL to anyone of the parks? I doubt that many people are going to DTD during the day, only keep it to the hotels and lessen the trips during the morning. And the $14 parking fee isn't an insult, paying $20 or $25 for parking at Jetro for a sports game is.

I hate the one person getting dozens and dozens of FPs, if the CM lets guests do it, have a separate machine. If I know I was going to be stuck behind someone for 5 minutes, I would have chosen a separate line.

And for a nap, Ellen's dream is great.

goofntink

Not really. Disney specifically ended bus service between the theme parks and Downtown Disney to curb people from parking for free.

Of course, nothing beats the free valet parking I get at Universal Orlando.

The real reason for ending bus service from DTD to the parks was due to complaints from the DTD participating partners and DTD management about lost revenue. This was due to the fact that guests were parking at DTD to bypass the parking fee and filling up the parking lots. It got so bad that during peak attendance times, there wasn't any parking left for guests or locals wanting to go to DTD for shopping or dining. Corporate management than instructed transportation to end service from DTD to the parks to curb the activity.

goofntink

Oh by the way wanted to add. For those that choose to park at DTD or the water parks or resorts so they don't have to pay for parking. When you do get to the park of your choice,you do not have the right to ask for a manager and then complain to us that it took you 1-2 hours to get to the park on the buses,were tired of hearing it!!!!:zipit: YOU RODE FOR FREE!!! Get over it!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom