News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Daveeeeed

Many people I've talked to and things I've read say SDL's Tomorrowland feels too industrial. Personally I like WDW's Tomorrowland as it stands and don't think it looks dated, it looks charming. Like every land in MK. It's part of why people love the place. I think a more industrial look would be bad for the park.

View attachment 225030
View attachment 225035

Might have to do with the different layout too.

Also I'm not sure how the Tron Coaster fits Epcot any more than the GotG coaster can. Future World is supposed to be about the future, not just futuristic-looking.
I think at night MK’s best spot is the entrance of Tomorrowland. The music that goes along with it too is epic. The Peoplemover’s bumps OMG it is so good.

I want the whole land to be themed together, but the neon-metal look it out of this world at night. Though if it goes to something sleek and futuristic to fit with TRON that would be a huge win. Can’t really go wrong either way, either expand or complete retheme.
Most importantly though is that they need to rethink the landscaping throughout the land.

BrianLo

Shanghai's Tomorrowland always felt too communist to me. That works in a park that's distinctly Chinese, but not sure how I'd feel about it in the Magic Kingdom.

The aesthetic is actually quite nice, it's the layout that has major issues. Too much of a strip mall with strange pathway design. Applied to the MK tomorrowland layout it would work to better results I think.

Edit: Agreed!

You're absolutely correct about the influence of corporations on the subject matter of some of the pavilions, although I would argue that it was only severely detrimental with Energy, marginally detrimental with World of Motion and The Land, and negligible on everything else. But even with the Universe of Energy, the problem was always with the content and not necessarily so much the format. If Disney was willing to spend their own money on updating it themselves every few years, figure out something just as immersive and epic to replace the dinosaur diorama with, add some cool effects (instead of taking them away like Ellen's Energy Adventure did), and barely breathe a word about fossil fuels beyond that we need to ween ourselves off of them, they could have really had something special on their hands.

I agree the format was good, and I personally enjoyed it, I just understand why it has to change. I keep trying to put myself back into the world of 1975 when much of this was designed and developed and I think the rate at which the world changed gets way too little credit in outdating the concept. Just thinking back from personal experience, the primary means to advertise products and innovations at the time would have been television news or print. The fair concept was extremely important to a company in displaying their products to a mass audience with the goal of putting these products directly to a general population. Fast forward 30 years from the opening, the evolution has been from 5 television channels to over 1300, Home internet on a PC, Mobile internet on a variety of devices, etc... The need to spend money demonstrating new and emerging technologies makes almost no sense, you can reach people through so many mediums so much quicker.

I do think It's fair to acknowledge as well that the impact this park had on the world which may easily get lost because so much of it has become commonplace. There are dozens of aquariums utilizing moving sidewalks and omni-mover like technology, science museums have turned the interactivity into overdrive, and much of the predicted technology has actually come to life. Maybe whatever technology is developed for the building will have a similar lasting impact? (not likely, just holding out hope!)

djkidkaz

Many people I've talked to and things I've read say SDL's Tomorrowland feels too industrial. Personally I like WDW's Tomorrowland as it stands and don't think it looks dated, it looks charming. Like every land in MK. It's part of why people love the place. I think a more industrial look would be bad for the park.

View attachment 225030
View attachment 225035

Also I'm not sure how the Tron Coaster fits Epcot any more than the GotG coaster can. Future World is supposed to be about the future, not just futuristic-looking.

Those colors are obviously not accurate to being there in person, those are Lightroom adjusted pics that make it look much nicer / brighter.

I honestly can't say I really like our current version or the original version of Tomorrowland. Neither of them really do much for me. I would like to see them make some substantial changes to the area like removing those hideous stages the added for dance parties and I wouldn't even mind seeing them completely remove the entire Astro orbiter building. Open the area up, add some grass and trees. I think it's ok to create an idea of Tomorrowland that isn't just aliens or space / metal structures. Design a Tomorrowland that is an idea of what we would like to see, not what we were told the future would be.
IMG_5508.jpg

Dizney Crew

I keep seeing people upset that the Guardians ride is going to be a coaster, but I doubt this is going to be just a "coaster". I'm thinking it will have plenty of themeing and more than likely have some sort of Dark ride elements either before or during the actual "coaster" ride starts or finishes. I'm thinking/hoping this is going to be themed similar to Gringots at UNI or have Dark ride elements like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I highly doubt we end up getting a Slinky Dog coaster with this ride. Or at least I hope not, this ride won't even open until what, 2021 I've heard, that's insane if it takes them 3+ year for 1 roller coaster that is strictly an indoor coaster with no other added elements.

And if we do just get a RnRC style ride with nothing else, seriously someone should be fired if it takes that long, if thats what we get that thing should be ready by spring 2019 the latest.

MaximumEd

I keep seeing people upset that the Guardians ride is going to be a coaster, but I doubt this is going to be just a "coaster". I'm thinking it will have plenty of themeing and more than likely have some sort of Dark ride elements either before or during the actual "coaster" ride starts or finishes. I'm thinking/hoping this is going to be themed similar to Gringots at UNI or have Dark ride elements like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I highly doubt we end up getting a Slinky Dog coaster with this ride. Or at least I hope not, this ride won't even open until what, 2021 I've heard, that's insane if it takes them 3+ year for 1 roller coaster that is strictly an indoor coaster with no other added elements.

And if we do just get a RnRC style ride with nothing else, seriously someone should be fired if it takes that long, if thats what we get that thing should be ready by spring 2019 the latest.

Totally agree on the timeline part, and Roll Tide.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't know if you've said this before, or someone else. Is this going to be an off the shelf roller coaster like RnRC was or is this some new design?
it's a co development between WDI and someone else, to a layout I believe will be unique at opening.

Cheap $ wise or Cheap looking (aesthetically)
Cheap as in budget. Thats one thing it's not (though personally I'd want the insane amount of money spent in other ways)

troy.

A combination dark ride/ coaster that didn't skimp on either element would be amazing. Is there any chance that GotG might fit this description?

Nope. It's a coaster. It'll have show, but dark ride is stretching it.

That's disappointing but not at all unexpected. Can you tell us if there will be inversions at least?

I can't say yet. You'd assume with the target demographic no.

So are we looking at something akin to Rock n' Roller as regards show elements? (I fully understand if you don't want to say)

It's looking possible.

So, painted flats?

You've got to be kidding.

The post load and launch area could be interesting.

I could care less that the attraction has cool queue, pre and post show elements. What people wait for is the ride itself. Everything else should be supplementary to the experience. Cardboard cutouts? 4 year construction time frame? Yikes. If I moved at that pace in my business it'd be a goner!

Edit: I'm talking about GotG

Like I said, it should be interesting around the load to launch area. I can't go into specifics about inride visuals but I'm not overly excited.

It'll have a nice queue that's going to be the atypical fifteen miles long and well themed.

It's just in the wrong place.

JohnD

Sorry for getting us college football fans stirred up. Hahaha. Back to the regularly scheduled thread.

Yep! As to the thread, I did post above that Bill Nye the Science Guy is suing Disney. Didn't know he had a show in the 90s. Makes sense why he was in Ellen's Energy Adventure. Considering the suit, not surprised the Disney closed the attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom