News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

mikeb_86

If this is going to be Epcot's 1st coaster and have the SFX Coaster like Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts then this will be the wow. I agree a coaster would be cooler then a dark ride but yea interesting to see. Before the end of the year we need more information from Disney about this.

Amidala

I very much appreciate a post like this rather than one that basically amounts to "GET OVER IT NERD EPCOT IS DEAD 5EVER!"

There is every chance you are right about the viability of a permanent World's Fair-style park. EPCOT Center was certainly very successful for the first ten years or so, but then the park suffered the simultaneous double whammy of losing sponsors and Disney/Eisner losing the will to drop big bucks on the parks (not to mention Eisner not really seeming to "get" EPCOT to begin with). So, unfortunately, there's no real telling how well the park might be doing now had they adhered to the parks vision and a reasonable amount of investment. As for the inquisitiveness of the general population, I'm a bit more optimistic in that regard. I think we tend to get kind of an exaggeration of the overall stupidity of people through the news and Twitter and Facebook and all that stuff. you never hear about when someone makes it to work okay without incident, but you hear about it all the time whenever someone follows their GPS into a lake or something. You hear about that kind of stuff enough and the masses tend to get compressed down into one-dimensional stereotypes.

You're absolutely correct about the influence of corporations on the subject matter of some of the pavilions, although I would argue that it was only severely detrimental with Energy, marginally detrimental with World of Motion and The Land, and negligible on everything else. But even with the Universe of Energy, the problem was always with the content and not necessarily so much the format. If Disney was willing to spend their own money on updating it themselves every few years, figure out something just as immersive and epic to replace the dinosaur diorama with, add some cool effects (instead of taking them away like Ellen's Energy Adventure did), and barely breathe a word about fossil fuels beyond that we need to ween ourselves off of them, they could have really had something special on their hands.

Really good points, and I'm with you on basically all of it.

If this is going to be Epcot's 1st coaster and have the SFX Coaster like Harry Potter and the Escape from Gringotts then this will be the wow. I agree a coaster would be cooler then a dark ride but yea interesting to see. Before the end of the year we need more information from Disney about this.

I think unfortunately insiders have already confirmed that there won't be any on-ride AAs or screens on a level w/ Gringotts. Sounds like the pre-show and queue will be heavily themed but the coaster itself less so.

Amidala

I must have missed this bit of 'confirmation'. We know next to nothing about the attraction.

I mean, obviously nothing has been confirmed by Disney yet. But I'm choosing to believe what some have hinted the ride will be like (e.g. here, here), otherwise there's not much of a basis for discussion. If that turns out not to be the case, then I guess we'll all be happier for it.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I don't think a unique, immersive attraction that merges thrills with story necessary needs to be tied to an IP? It obviously can be (Splash Mountain is a perfect example of this), but I'm talking about competition on the basis of ride technology, not theming. I think another important point to make here is that both Universal and Disney have made recent attempts at immersive thrill rides (7DMT, Expedition Everest in A-Mode and Journey to the Center of the Earth from Disney, Gringotts over at Universal), this isn't a concept exclusive to Universal. And I think if Disney were to really embrace adding multiple dark-ride scenes to a coaster, it could easily outperform Gringotts, and maybe even Revenge of the Mummy, in a way that's unique, inventive and true to the spirit of Disney. Very few ideas are 100% unique, it's all in the execution.

That aside, I still fall somewhere in the middle on IPs. Obviously I agree that Iger has leaned on IPs to a ridiculous extent, but I don't think IP-based rides are inherently uncreative, or that these kinds of efforts should be abandoned completely! I think there's a place for IP-based lands at the parks. Universal may have started the trend, but Disney has put its own spin on this & will continue to. I'd love to see more original rides (especially dark-rides) going forward, but don't begrudge the addition of IP-based rides like MMRR that promise to push the envelope and bring something new to the table. GOTG...is another story.
I should clarify, I only mean to correlate Disney with Universal on the basis of their insistence on only "ride the movie" style attractions. Immersive thrill rides in general are not one companies owning.

And no, an IP in a ride doesn't inherently make the ride uncreative at all...but it just feels a bit lazy in concept stage. I also have a hard time believing that in any meeting, someone is saying, "we have a really great concept for a ride..." and then later someone adds, "oooh, we should add XYZ IP to it." Rather, I think it goes "we have XYZ IP that needs a place in the parks...come up with a ride suitable for it."

Lastly, Iger's tenure can pretty much exclusively be linked the IP-itis. Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars are ALL his pets. Now he's making sure they have their permanent marks in the parks alongside Mickey and friends. That is what irks me. Rather than believing in the skills of the people at his own company to come up with new and original ideas, he went out and purchased a collective toy box of content from which to have his imagineers play with.

Amidala

I should clarify, I only mean to correlate Disney with Universal on the basis of their insistence on only "ride the movie" style attractions. Immersive thrill rides in general are not one companies owning.

And no, an IP in a ride doesn't inherently make the ride uncreative at all...but it just feels a bit lazy in concept stage. I also have a hard time believing that in any meeting, someone is saying, "we have a really great concept for a ride..." and then later someone adds, "oooh, we should add XYZ IP to it." Rather, I think it goes "we have XYZ IP that needs a place in the parks...come up with a ride suitable for it."

Lastly, Iger's tenure can pretty much exclusively be linked the IP-itis. Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars are ALL his pets. Now he's making sure they have their permanent marks in the parks alongside Mickey and friends. That is what irks me. Rather than believing in the skills of the people at his own company to come up with new and original ideas, he went out and purchased a collective toy box of content from which to have his imagineers play with.

OH, I see what you mean. And in that case, I agree with most of what you've said here. I don't deny that Iger & his ilk have frequently leaned on IPs both to avoid conceptualizing original rides/lands, and to make otherwise mediocre attractions into a massive draw for guests.

I would love to see a new land that is not IP-based, similar to the immersive place-making at DisneySea and DAK. I also think parks like Epcot are in need of the kind of help that IP-based attractions won't be capable of delivering.

I don't think I would object to the addition of Marvel and Star Wars to the parks if Iger had balanced these things with innovative, original areas and attractions. Obviously that hasn't been the case, though. Maybe under new leadership, this is the kind of expansion Disney will see, but who knows.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

OH, I see what you mean. And in that case, I agree with most of what you've said here. I don't deny that Iger & his ilk have frequently leaned on IPs both to avoid conceptualizing original rides/lands, and to make otherwise mediocre attractions into a massive draw for guests.

I would love to see a new land that is not IP-based, similar to the immersive place-making at DisneySea and DAK. I also think parks like Epcot are in need of the kind of help that IP-based attractions won't be capable of delivering.

I don't think I would object to the addition of Marvel and Star Wars to the parks if Iger had balanced these things with innovative, original areas and attractions. Obviously that hasn't been the case, though. Maybe under new leadership, this is the kind of expansion Disney will see, but who knows.
I fully agree with you. Furthermore, I wouldn't mind IP inclusion so much if there was a 1-for-1 idea between them and original attractions. But the scales have been tipped towards IP only and they show no real signs of slowing down (save for Mickey and Minnies long overdue attraction).

jpeden

In the Parks
No

This is one of the best things ever written on these boards.

rioriz

Disney in WDW only allows itself to push the envelope once every 5 or 6 years now. FoP then, SWL Alcatraz so close are the exception....Unfortunately Guardians will fall in the middle of that timeline...before the next one in MK. But Uni seems to be following that also so Nintendo could set the mark before a half decade of "fillers" follow in their parks

Mike S

Oh, wow...If this concept is legit, it'll really give Disney a run for its money. Between this and the rumored Mario Kart attraction, I can't wait to see what Nintendo World will look like (and how the castles in Hyrule and the Mushroom Kingdom will compare to existing Disney castles, if those rumors pan out). Hopefully Nintendo & the new HP coaster will take immersion in thrill rides to the next level and drive Disney to do the same. Although I wish Disney was already headed in this direction w/o prompting...it's a shame that competition will need to force their hand.
From all insider accounts it is indeed real and I am beyond excited. I loved playing Donkey Kong Country on my Super Nintendo :happy:
Actually Gringotts isn't SFX and neither will Guardians. The new HP coaster is supposed to be though.
Disney in WDW only allows itself to push the envelope once every 5 or 6 years now. FoP then, SWL Alcatraz so close are the exception....Unfortunately Guardians will fall in the middle of that timeline...before the next one in MK. But Uni seems to be following that also so Nintendo could set the mark before a half decade of "fillers" follow in their parks
Maybe not as they'll need a reason for us to see their third park. My guess would be a clone of the big Jurassic World ride heavily rumored for Beijing. Then add in Dreamworks and possibly more Nintendo and there you go.

rioriz

I hope you are right @Mike S

I really need Uni to continue applying the pressure with high tech non screen rides. I love the parks but this last trip was a let down as i did both parks within a 7 hour period due to ride fatigue. The 5 of us opted out of more than half of the studios park due to the fear of intense motion sickness occurring.

Coasters ill take anyday

seabreezept813

What I find strange about the claim that Disney needs to compete with Universal is that the change for us is that Universal suddenly appeals to us with HP. But making a land based on a classic story is what Disney has always been good at-- so I just feel like Disney is doing it backwards. Give us more classics to keep showing your product is still strong. The things Disney could do with ideas like Camelot or Oz would probably be amazing and charming. But instead it feels like they are moving towards the lowest common denominator.

Kamikaze

I mean, obviously nothing has been confirmed by Disney yet. But I'm choosing to believe what some have hinted the ride will be like (e.g. here, here), otherwise there's not much of a basis for discussion. If that turns out not to be the case, then I guess we'll all be happier for it.

Neither one of those say what you said, however. All he said was he wasn't overly excited about what he's seen for on-ride. When you take into account that he's seen the on-ride stuff for Falcon and Battle Escape, it doesn't necessarily make his statement as bleak as you took it.

Kamikaze

I think you'll like Ellen. It'll be at 1080p and some of the projection screens are being cleaned up by a well known production company who's name I won't say ;)

Off topic but a question - is there a reason there isn't a Space Mountain (WDW) Ultimate Tribute? Besides that its difficult to film because its dark?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom