News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Pandora's an interesting cut off point, because it lets you exclude their last major addition... a coaster. So, of the attractions you listed that are being added in the future, 3 out of 8 are coasters. And you forgot Rat, so 3 out of 9. That's 33%. And 2 of the non-coasters are flats, so if you exclude those its 3 out of 7. And I would argue, given Disney's history, that is a disproportionate number of coasters. After all, in the entire history of WDW to this point, they have built 7 coasters. So they are increasing the number of coasters by 43%. That's a notable change in design philosophy.

Also, you might want to refrain from declaring that subjective opinions are false. It's intellectually dishonest.

And why would rides opening this very year be excluded? Rides that were being built as the same time the TSL coaster work started?

In addition to that cherry picking, you're also exempting two rides for being flats, so, who's cherry picking information now? Of course Disney has a lot of rides that aren't coasters... there are a significant number of them that are flats.

Sorry, buddy, the intellectual dishonesty is all on you. You're entering @ford91exploder territory.

Casper Gutman

And why would rides opening this very year be excluded? Rides that were being built as the same time the TSL coaster work started?

In addition to that cherry picking, you're also exempting two rides for being flats, so, who's cherry picking information now? Of course Disney has a lot of rides that aren't coasters... there are a significant number of them that are flats.

Sorry, buddy, the intellectual dishonesty is all on you. You're entering @ford91exploder territory.

Both of us are picking samples that bolster our view point. I choose rides that will be built in the future, you choose... rides that will be built in the future plus a couple in the past that were being built at the same time as one chosen arbitrarily that is being built now? You have some gumption to accuse other people of cherry-picking.

I offered a percentage based on all rides (including one you forgot but which I included despite the fact that it helped your argument) and one without flats, carefully noting both. I'm going out of my way to be honest here.

Seriously, step back and ask yourself why you react this way to criticism of WDW. You get nasty fast.

Amidala

I would understand if a majority of the Disney coasters looked like Slinky and Barnstormer, but so many of these coasters (Everest in particular, but to an extent RnR and Mine Train as well) are highly themed, and pretty far removed from what you would find at your local Six Flags.

I would love to see WDW get a new dark ride or two (especially one w/ a unique original concept) as much as everyone else, but throwing a few thrill rides into the mix doesn't prevent this from happening in the future.

Casper Gutman

I would understand if a majority of the Disney coasters looked like Slinky and Barnstormer, but so many of these coasters (Everest in particular, but to an extent RnR and Mine Train as well) are highly themed, and pretty far removed from what you would find at your local Six Flags.

I would love to see WDW get a new dark ride or two (especially one w/ a unique original concept) as much as everyone else, but throwing a few thrill rides into the mix doesn't prevent this from happening in the future.

I would agree that rides like RnR and Mine Train (especially if it had one more show scene) are great additions.

My point was that criticism of WDW for adding a lot of short rides is not invalidated by the fact that many of those rides are coasters. It should be borne in mind that 1) Tron (and likely Slinky, we don't know yet) is short even for a coaster 2) WDW is making a choice to add lots of coasters, likely BECAUSE they are short and cycle people quickly.

Amidala

Or hopefully someone will finally elaborate on the Revenge of the Mummy design. The Orlando version was and still is a revelation in pushing the envelope.

Really good point. I feel like Mine Train was a nod to this kind of attraction, but w/ only the one dark ride scene, it feels unsatisfying. I would love to see Disney's take on a RotM-like ride (maybe something like Journey to the Center of the Earth over at DisneySea). Part of why I enjoy Splash Mountain so much is the combination of thrills and immersive storytelling.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Both of us are picking samples that bolster our view point. I choose rides that will be built in the future, you choose... rides that will be built in the future plus a couple in the past that were being built at the same time as one chosen arbitrarily that is being built now? You have some gumption to accuse other people of cherry-picking.

It is totally ridiculously that you would not count rides being built contemporaneously in your sample of whether there's "too many coasters."

Fine, if you want to focus on rides being built in the future, then don't count any of the ones currently in production. That leaves just one coaster: TRON. See how silly those lines are?

But good luck in your rounding up the bandwagon against TSL....

Aren't we going to complain that the structure is exposed? Even though no child builds a coaster and then covers it completely leaving them unable to see what's happening inside.

And aren't we mad that the size scale is all over the place? Even though the size scale between the Green Army Men and the Woody M&G is already way off and children's toys are all over the place scale-wise.

And aren't we mad that there may be toys out of movie continuity for the age Andy must be? Even though Disney regularly mangles movie continuity in the parks.

And aren't we mad that Disney's gone coaster crazy?
Even though the overall coaster to ride ratio will hardly budge once this is all done.​

This is the same thing you tried with Pandora. Death by a thousand cuts: It could be longer, more thrilling, more this and more that.

Can't wait for next week's great critique of TSL wherein you lay out just how awful it will be based on a reason that has no real validity for a Disney park.

Casper Gutman

It is totally ridiculously that you would not count rides being built contemporaneously in your sample of whether there's "too many coasters."

Fine, if you want to focus on rides being built in the future, then don't count any of the ones currently in production. That leaves just one coaster: TRON. See how silly those lines are?

But good luck in your rounding up the bandwagon against TSL....

Aren't we going to complain that the structure is exposed? Even though no child builds a coaster and then covers it completely leaving them unable to see what's happening inside.

And aren't we mad that the size scale is all over the place? Even though the size scale between the Green Army Men and the Woody M&G is already way off and children's toys are all over the place scale-wise.

And aren't we mad that there may be toys out of movie continuity for the age Andy must be? Even though Disney regularly mangles movie continuity in the parks.

And aren't we mad that Disney's gone coaster crazy?
Even though the overall coaster to ride ratio will hardly budge once this is all done.​

This is the same thing you tried with Pandora. Death by a thousand cuts: It could be longer, more thrilling, more this and more that.

Can't wait for next week's great critique of TSL wherein you lay out just how awful it will be based on a reason that has no real validity for a Disney park.

We have a difference of opinion over whether WDW is building a number of coasters which could be considered disproportionate. It's a subjective argument you keep trying to treat as a factual argument, and you keep utterly contorting yourself to try and make your argument the only valid one.

You seem to have this odd idea that I'm a barbarian outside WDW's gate trying "to round up a bandwagon" rather then a guy making posts on a message board. It's weird.

I do, in fact, hold a few of the views regarding TSL you mentioned and I don't agree with a couple of the others you listed, but I think you know that. You tend to like to put words in other peoples mouths. We're not on the TSL boards now and we've had those debates before. If TSL is representative of the WDW you love, more power to you. Enjoy.

I stand by the statement that set you off - it is fair to criticize WDW for building short rides even if those rides are coasters because 1) it's part of a larger design philosophy and 2) they're short even for coasters. I don't believe it's a particularly incendiary statement. I'm not going to bow to what you seem to think is your prerogative to dismiss opinions as factually untrue. Debate in good faith or don't respond.

Casper Gutman

Or hopefully someone will finally elaborate on the Revenge of the Mummy design. The Orlando version was and still is a revelation in pushing the envelope.
A combination dark ride/ coaster that didn't skimp on either element would be amazing. Is there any chance that GotG might fit this description?

UpAllNight

Although not conventional, the 2 Star Wars, Mickey and Rataoutile are all dark rides of sorts.

I think the balance is good (all be it short of some AA action)

Amidala

Although not conventional, the 2 Star Wars, Mickey and Rataoutile are all dark rides of sorts.

I think the balance is good (all be it short of some AA action)

I meant more along the lines of a modern AA-based dark ride (like Mystic Manor or Sinbad at DisneySea), and I'm pretty sure the Star Wars attractions and Ratatouille won't fit that criteria (maybe Mickey? I'm not 100% clear on what that ride will be yet). This doesn't mean I'm not excited for all of these rides! But would definitely like to see a dark ride w/ multiple AA scenes (and maybe a unique original concept) soon. Would also of course be super excited about a coaster or other thrill ride experience that integrates AAs, screens and immersive storytelling, like people have been discussing.

UpAllNight

I meant more along the lines of a modern AA-based dark ride (like Mystic Manor or Sinbad at DisneySea), and I'm pretty sure the Star Wars attractions and Ratatouille won't fit that criteria (maybe Mickey? I'm not 100% clear on what that ride will be yet). This doesn't mean I'm not excited for all of these rides! But would definitely like to see a dark ride w/ multiple AA scenes (and maybe a unique original concept) soon. Would also of course be super excited about a coaster or other thrill ride experience that integrates AAs, screens and immersive storytelling, like people have been discussing.

I think the main Star Wars ride is the most likely to be heavy on AA's. I'm not convinced the other 3 mentioned will have any at all.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

I offered a percentage based on all rides (including one you forgot but which I included despite the fact that it helped your argument) and one without flats, carefully noting both. I'm going out of my way to be honest here.

Seriously, step back and ask yourself why you react this way to criticism of WDW. You get nasty fast.

Fight! Fight! Fight! ;)

Amidala

I think the main Star Wars ride is the most likely to be heavy on AA's. I'm not convinced the other 3 mentioned will have any at all.

Oh, that's interesting! I assumed both of them would be screen-based but really haven't heard much about either of them, so this is exciting if true. I think i read that MMRR might have a handful of AAs (or something like AAs?) but couldn't be called an AA-based ride. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

Amidala

I'm super biased here...high speed launches tend to freak me out, and I've been avoiding RnR for a while as a result, even though I love the rest of the ride. Would love to see a high-speed coaster (by Disney's standards anyway, so around Tron and RnR's 60mph) that starts with a lift hill, if only to offer some diversity in thrills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom