News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kman101

@marni1971 can you shed a little light on why they chose Guardians for Epcot and Tron for Tomorrowland? To me, they should have switched them. Was this talked about at all? I understand you're limited in what to give away but I'm just curious if there were conversations about this and why they decided on what they did. I'd accept Tron more in Future World and Guardians would fit in the mishmash of Tomorrowland. JMO though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 can you shed a little light on why they chose Guardians for Epcot and Tron for Tomorrowland? To me, they should have switched them. Was this talked about at all? I understand you're limited in what to give away but I'm just curious if there were conversations about this and why they decided on what they did. I'd accept Tron more in Future World and Guardians would fit in the mishmash of Tomorrowland. JMO though.
The reasons for adding these types of rides is clear, the chosen IP I don't know. Though the next Tomorrowland should aesthetically match the world of Tron.

Kman101

The reasons for adding these types of rides is clear, the chosen IP I don't know. Though the next Tomorrowland should aesthetically match the world of Tron.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure it necessarily answered what I was looking for but it's nice to know Tomorrowland will match Tron. Thanks again :)

matt9112

It ain't up to me but that's a nice vision isn't it?

A bit like an updated Orlando Tomorrowland 1975 vision eh? ;)

with less white yes. I think going back to the clean sheer lines will do wonders and for modern sake they can use slightly darker tones. if they keep it a mess it's just....a mess

TROR

would you be opposed to a SDL astetic based TL? clean lines very nice use of lighting ect.

Shanghai's Tomorrowland always felt too communist to me. That works in a park that's distinctly Chinese, but not sure how I'd feel about it in the Magic Kingdom.

No Name

Many people I've talked to and things I've read say SDL's Tomorrowland feels too industrial. Personally I like WDW's Tomorrowland as it stands and don't think it looks dated, it looks charming. Like every land in MK. It's part of why people love the place. I think a more industrial look would be bad for the park.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Might have to do with the different layout too.

Also I'm not sure how the Tron Coaster fits Epcot any more than the GotG coaster can. Future World is supposed to be about the future, not just futuristic-looking.

Last edited:

gmajew

Premium Member
Many people I've talked to and things I've read say SDL's Tomorrowland feels too industrial. Personally I like WDW's Tomorrowland as it stands and don't think it looks dated, it looks charming. Like every land in MK. It's part of why people love the place. I think a more industrial look would be bad for the park.

View attachment 225030
View attachment 225035

Also I'm not sure how the Tron Coaster fits Epcot any more than the GotG coaster can. Future World is supposed to be about the future, not just futuristic-looking.

Wow forget how cool it looks with the lights on... Daytime it lacks though....

a goofy username

not sure if it's been said in this thread already but i can see this ride as being really meta and self-referential. the way they tried to justify its placement in future world with the SSE polaroid is laughably transparent - seriously, it's like something a greedy cynical corporate character in a simpsons episode would do - but if they don't just go the "welp, here's proof that peter quill was here, now here's a ride with literally no references to that" route, i can see them going for a kind of nostalgic, meta "glory days of EPCOT center" theme, like, peter reliving horizons, food rocks, captain eo, etc. the movies already have that nostalgia thing in spades with the 70's glam rock soundtrack so it would make sense

Jenny72

I kind of doubt they're going to make references to Horizons, Food Rocks, etc. on the ride and go the nostalgic route. I agree with you that it would totally make sense with the character, and be fun, but it wouldn't mean anything to a lot of visitors, especially the younger ones that they're presumably trying to attract with this. Teens won't know Horizons, for instance.

They probably will have a comedic element, because that's part of the movies, but they don't really seem to be trying to keep much continuity with the old-style Epcot, so I'd be surprised if they'd even bother, sigh.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Those are separate arguments, but I was specifically addressing those who have the habit of denouncing rides as "unoriginal" solely based on the fact that they make use of some IP

The problem with the use of movie IP's in most cases it puts a expiration date on the attraction. When the first Frontierland was built 'Davy Crockett' was the rage. But Disney was wise enough to create a land where Davy could exist yet not tie the identity to him

PizzaPlanet

View attachment 225030
View attachment 225035

I love the look of Tomorrowland '94. It'd be a shame to lose it completely.

Amidala

The problem with the use of movie IP's in most cases it puts a expiration date on the attraction. When the first Frontierland was built 'Davy Crockett' was the rage. But Disney was wise enough to create a land where Davy could exist yet not tie the identity to him

Depends on the IP. Frontierland may be able to exist without Crockett, but Splash is still tied to an IP, and a really controversial one at that.

Ironically, I would say Avatar has pretty much faded into obscurity already (I feel like everyone is aware of Avatar, but no one remembers details. Maybe we all just collectively dreamed it into existence lmao), but the land is beautifully themed so guests will probably continue to enjoy it in the future. I doubt Star Wars is going to lose popularity anytime soon. GOTG probably won't last, but then again, a coaster can be rethemed much more easily than a land.

DisneyDodo

In some cases, I'd agree that a ride can become outdated because of its IP, but I wouldn't say that's in any way a rule. There are two scenarios in which an IP-based ride can stay relevant for a long time: 1 - the IP is a timeless classic (e.g. PPF) or 2 - the ride's value isn't derived solely from the IP (e.g. Splash).

On the other hand, any ride built based on the current state of the world (i.e. all of the original Future World) is guaranteed to become dated and therefore either needs frequent updates (very expensive and impractical without a willing sponsor) or is destined to be shut down (and replaced, if we're lucky).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom