• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Maeryk

This is not just about using IP and risk. Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm are still free to tell their stories within their franchises, but cinema is considered a legitimate creative medium.

And whatever goes into the parks (mission breakout, the iron man thing, this) is not canonical to the MCU. Unlike many of the Universal rides, which attempt to recreate "the movie" or "The experience", the MCU stuff being developed for Disney parks is the character, but not based on any single movie or experience.. much like Star Tours borrows from the film locations, but doesn't immerse you in any specific storyline.

That is something Disney has stood out with, and is distinct from it's competition in. Which is kinda ironic, as it came from rides that were 3d representations of the movies they created, and now they are well beyond that, in most cases.

lazyboy97o

And whatever goes into the parks (mission breakout, the iron man thing, this) is not canonical to the MCU. Unlike many of the Universal rides, which attempt to recreate "the movie" or "The experience", the MCU stuff being developed for Disney parks is the character, but not based on any single movie or experience.. much like Star Tours borrows from the film locations, but doesn't immerse you in any specific storyline.

That is something Disney has stood out with, and is distinct from it's competition in. Which is kinda ironic, as it came from rides that were 3d representations of the movies they created, and now they are well beyond that, in most cases.
So what? The movies are still the basis for decision making. The Marvel Theme Park Universe comes out of a concern for qualities you keep dismissing as unimportant to today's audiences.

Mike S

The storylines for Forbidden Journey, Minions, Transformers, and Kong are actually completely separate from the movie canon. Only Gringotts out of their recent builds uses a plot directly from the film even if changed just a bit. Of course a ride based on a movie will try to recreate the general experience. Even the classic Fantasyland rides do that.

Maeryk

So what? The movies are still the basis for decision making. The Marvel Theme Park Universe comes out of a concern for qualities you keep dismissing as unimportant to today's audiences.

So the MTPU doesn't have to rebrand an entire area, or anything more than a single ride, and can be worked in as a part of the park itself.. even self aware part of the park itself. Something Universal doesn't do, is my point. GotG can quite easily reference Epcot in it's ride, and tie itself into the theme of the park, just as Mission Breakout does.

Also, you are misquoting me. I never said some educational content was unimportant. I said that educational content in 20+ year old rides with nearly a century outdated notions about dinosaurs are unimportant. I'm not the one claiming there can be no educational content. It's the grumpuses swearing it can't be included that are saying that. I have faith it will be included, and will fit in with the park.

lazyboy97o

So the MTPU doesn't have to rebrand an entire area, or anything more than a single ride, and can be worked in as a part of the park itself.. even self aware part of the park itself. Something Universal doesn't do, is my point. GotG can quite easily reference Epcot in it's ride, and tie itself into the theme of the park, just as Mission Breakout does.
Self reference is not a theme. Setting is not theme.

Maeryk

Self reference is not a theme. Setting is not theme.

And the theme of Future World has always, to me, been imagination and reaching for the stars and thinking outside the box, so I don't think it's that bad a fit. A bit fantasy, perhaps. But no more so than flying cars or undersea cities, or the current end of ride "your future life" nonsense on SSE, or manned missions to mars. Some are slightly more likely than space battles, some less. But none are reality at this point.

Jeff456

Any thoughts about how they will shuffle the Fastpass tiers once this ride opens? If they put it in the same tier with TT and Soarin - which I assume they will - that will make for a bit of a Sophie's Choice. Then add in the Rat ride...
Maybe once this and ratatouille are opened plus illuminations or its replacement you'll be able to choose two rides from tier one with all the aformentioned attractions plus frozen of course in that tier, surely once there are effectively 5 attractions and one show in it it will be possible capacity wise.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
Maybe once this and ratatouille are opened plus illuminations or its replacement you'll be able to choose two rides from tier one with all the aformentioned attractions plus frozen of course in that tier, surely once there are effectively 5 attractions and one show in it it will be possible capacity wise.

Hopefully once all of them are operational, they can do away with the teir system altogether.

21stamps

But Epcot doesn't need a coaster, you can't easily put across a message with one, as there isn't as much of a storyline, whereas with a dark ride(that isn't a coaster) you can have a very deveoped storyline that can easily convey the message of Epcot - you don't need coasters to have thrills.

In my opinion, the only coaster that would be good would be the Matterhorn in a Switzerland Pavilion.

A dark ride like Tomb Raider!!!

Ok sorry, my wishful thinking again.. ;)

NoChesterHester

Once they get enough attractions open that people actually want to be on the Fastpass tiers could go away completely. Then you don't have to force people to use it for attractions they don't want it for... like Nemo.

Maeryk

Rather than a new pavilion, they could use the same basic ride concept, but do a Mt Fuji version of the Matterhorn in the Japan pavilion.

If the sources I've read are correct, that was the original plan. But Kodak put the kaibosh on it, as it would have been sponsored by Fuji Film, and they didn't want the competition. So now it's a massive store and kawaii display instead.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
If the sources I've read are correct, that was the original plan. But Kodak put the kaibosh on it, as it would have been sponsored by Fuji Film, and they didn't want the competition. So now it's a massive store and kawaii display instead.
Well, now that the issue of sponsorship competition is more or less in the past, let's go Mt Fuji!

Ismael Flores

If people want to go to an amusement park, they should go to an amusement park. Theme parks are for storytelling.

I said nothing about storytelling, there is a difference between being schooled and being immersed in storytelling. People don't go to THEMED parks to be schooled.
When I go on huanted mansion I am not being schooled about ghost but the ride does have a story behind it. The same goes for Pirates, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and any other emmersive attraction that Disney is known for in any of their parks.

The old worlds fair concept that epcot was pretty much designed from is sadly dead. There is a reason why worlds fairs died several years back.
Do I wish it wasn't like that, of course I grew up loving the concept of the original Epcot and I lived going to places like that for more than just a thrill but it's not what people want anymore.
There is a reason why Epcot has been mocked as the boring park in animated shows as well as movies. Sadly times change and not always for the best

Maeryk

I said nothing about storytelling, there is a difference between being schooled and being immersed in storytelling. People don't go to THEMED parks to be schooled.
When I go on huanted mansion I am not being schooled about ghost but the ride does have a story behind it. The same goes for Pirates, Indiana Jones, Splash Mountain and any other emmersive attraction that Disney is known for in any of their parks.

The old worlds fair concept that epcot was pretty much designed from is sadly dead. There is a reason why worlds fairs died several years back.
Do I wish it wasn't like that, of course I grew up loving the concept of the original Epcot and I lived going to places like that for more than just a thrill but it's not what people want anymore.
There is a reason why Epcot has been mocked as the boring park in animated shows as well as movies. Sadly times change and not always for the best

Well.. Indiana Jones does explain how some stunts are done. ;)

Epcot was supposed to be an actual city. And the "world's fair" part was going to be fairly small exhibits explaining how various parts of the city worked. Think carousel of progress. And you would be able to see, and tour the city as well. The city got killed, the concept lived on, the pavilions got HUGE, and the travel agencies got involved (welcome to world showcase, it looks so much better than a brochure.. you can fly Delta to see all these places, just bigger, and you know, a lot older).

They have doggedly stuck to that concept. And they can, at this point, either bag it entirely, or double down on it. The first means that in 20 years, Epcot as we know it will pretty much be gone, at least as far as future world is concerned. The second means the pavilions become temporary show spaces.. and the contents rotate out regularly, making way for new content.

Either is going to tick someone off. But something needs to be done. It's old and busted.

Dapper Dan

Well.. Indiana Jones does explain how some stunts are done. ;)

Epcot was supposed to be an actual city. And the "world's fair" part was going to be fairly small exhibits explaining how various parts of the city worked. Think carousel of progress. And you would be able to see, and tour the city as well. The city got killed, the concept lived on, the pavilions got HUGE, and the travel agencies got involved (welcome to world showcase, it looks so much better than a brochure.. you can fly Delta to see all these places, just bigger, and you know, a lot older).

They have doggedly stuck to that concept. And they can, at this point, either bag it entirely, or double down on it. The first means that in 20 years, Epcot as we know it will pretty much be gone, at least as far as future world is concerned. The second means the pavilions become temporary show spaces.. and the contents rotate out regularly, making way for new content.

Either is going to tick someone off. But something needs to be done. It's old and busted.
That's a very ...creative version of the evolution of EPCOT to EPCOT Center.

Dapper Dan

I think I finally put all the pieces together. So, we know that the ride stays true to Epcot's original vision while making it more timeless, more family, and more Disney. We also know that the main conceit of the ride is that Star Lord visited EPCOT Center as a child in the 80s. Therefore, there is only one possible story for this ride that fits all the above criteria, and it goes like this:

The Guardians arrive at Epcot. Star Lord says something like, "This sure is a lot different than I remember it, but don't worry, I have a plan." The rest of the ride is a thrilling heist where guests help the Guardians steal the Time Stone. After a successful heist, the victorious guests exit into a completely faithful recreation of 1988 Future World including all of the original pavilions and attractions.

I really have to hand it to Disney, they really are committed to this total immersion thing. I have to say, I wasn't too keen on this announcement at first, but now I'm super excited for this ride!

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
That is why they called it EPCOT Center. As in, the center of EPCOT. The entire Florida Property was thought of as EPCOT. And a version of Celebration was even in the grand plan at the time. The park was never supposed to represent all of what EPCOT was as a concept.

And to keep some semblance of control there are only a few actual residents on the entire property covered by the Reedy Creek improvement district...because people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom