News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Captain Neo

I am betting on Animal Kingdom in the space currently housing craporama.

Would be cool though I should point out the UOE dinosaurs are dated depictions of dinosaurs from like the 1930s. I'm not a big fan of countdown to extinction but at least the dinosaurs in that attraction are a more scientifically accurate and modern representation of what dinosaurs actually behaved and looked like.

Captain Neo

I also like a couple of Tom Fitzgerald's comments while on stage Saturday...

"There's a lot I'd love to share with you today, but I'll save that for the next time."

"From the looks of this, and everything else we have on board, I think I'll be spending a lot of time at Epcot".

Bobby Chapek also mentioned that this was only a mere glimpse of what's coming to world showcase and they will save the rest for "next time". I'm assuming he's referring to Brazil and the U.K. Dark ride (Mary Poppins?)

Maeryk

Your kidding, right?

Mars is real. Cars are real. Locations around the planet are real.

Walking talking trees and raccoons with machine guns, not so much.

They are as real as underwater or space farming habitats, or the cars TT features. I mean I see what you are saying. And I wanted Tron in FW and GotG in mk. I can only assume it's a space issue.

Maeryk

They're like the 3rd or 4th busiest theme park in the world with about a bazillion (metric) revenue in food and sales, I don't think they have to cater to any new demographic, they're clearly very successful, old people stuff and all.

And they want to stay that way. Which means looking ahead and anticipating demand and appeal.

Ismael Flores

People in 2017 just *think* they are smarter since we have so much information available at our fingertips. Unfortunately this does not actually translate into people learning or being inspired. Googling everything has lead to a severe lack in critical thinking for many people. That's why I think a modern EPCOT Center is needed know more than ever.
Isn't that what museums and libraries are for though.
I grew up with Epcot and loved it but the last time I was there I found it stale and outdated. Never really inspired me or taught me much that I didn't already know. With so much available now I have to agree we with some others that people don't really want to go to an amusement park to be schooled.

sedati

So to stay successful they need to radically alter what's made them successful?
Epcot Center went obscenely over budget and quicker than expected showed signs of needing significant reinvestment. Success?
It was great, but it was a somewhat foolhardy endeavor. If you were lucky enough to experience it in it's brief heyday, consider yourself lucky as I do. They should aim high, but they should not try and replicate a failed model.

misterID

you have an amazing definition of "belligerent".

I remember horizons too. And the original Energy. And communicore, and world of motion. Everything ANYONE here is arguing is opinion. I look back incredibly fondly on those experiences. And I realize if they were presented to a 13 year old today, as I was then, they would burst out laughing at them.

The education people get has changed. When they get it has changed. Virtually everything that Energy "teaches" is part of a basic middle school if not elementary school curriculum at this point. They have no idea who Ellen, Billy Nye, or Alex Trebek are, for the most part. But almost all of them can identify Groot.

I haven't flamed a single person here. I have been civil and had some excellent discussions with people. Believe me, if I ever decide to flame, it will be quite obvious.

The fun thing about this whole mess, is my opinion about Epcot, and where it should go, is just as valid as yours. Funny how that works. And it's not like disney is listening to either of us.
Belligerent as in not stopping about a sinkhole when you're told several times that it wasn't true, to the point they would never build another attraction on top of a sinkhole that closed the previous attraction.

Continuing to bemoan about people liking HORIZONS and other peoples opinions not matching your own seems to be the issue. EPCOT didn't need a new identity, it's already a very successful park, one of the most successful parks in the world. Yes it needed help. I'm not opposed to UOE being replaced, it was dated, GOTG still doesn't fit or belong there. If that didn't matter Disney wouldn't have bent over backwards trying to justify its presence.
Yes, we all have opinions Disney won't listen to, but you seem way more concerned about other peoples opinions. I wouldn't have even responded to if I didn't see you doing it over and over and over...

Last edited:

The_Jobu

Epcot Center went obscenely over budget and quicker than expected showed signs of needing significant reinvestment. Success?
It was great, but it was a somewhat foolhardy endeavor. If you were lucky enough to experience it in it's brief heyday, consider yourself lucky as I do. They should aim high, but they should not try and replicate a failed model.

The should aim high, as in one of the top 3 theme parks in the world, which they are? What failed model are you referencing? They have been, and continue to be wildly successful.

correcaminos

I didn't say my kids hated WS. But they (13 and 10) both consider it "the old people's part of the park". They have been going since they were babes in arms. And to respond to another poster: Yes, they do love museums, science centers, etc. But giant walkthrough macquettes.. not so much. and that's fine. I don't expect Disney to cater to them (Duh). But I do recognize that after a certain time in the evening, I don't actually want them IN world showcase, especially at certain festivals or during certain times of year.. because drunken idiocy is not what I choose to expose them to.

I love epcot. Always have. But when the advice you get on a 3 day trip from Kenny and others is "Skip epcot"... well.. it needs something.

Frozen was inspired by norway. They make that clear all over the place. And maelstrom was.. ugh. It was abba at sea.. with a couple of norse religious concepts mixed in. I'm not even a Frozen fan, but I like the new version better than the old one.

It's all good though. We all have our opinions. I'm just saying I can see why TDO is putting more than 80s animatronics and 40 minute dark rides into Epcot. They kinda have to. What is "hip and hot" for the people they are trying to attract today is not what it was when we were young. That's all.
Doesn't matter if it was inspired by Norway to me. It isn't Norway and they more or less completely removed all that was Norway about the country and made it make believe. Now it's simply Arendale which isn't real. Kind of stinks to me. That's my beef with it. If they had set the movie actually in Norway I would have been okay with it. Like Ratatouille - it will fit (set in France) I'm happy.

I thought the Frozen ride was no better/worse really than Maelstrom though. I'm not a huge Let It Go fan so if they got rid of that song I'd like it better maybe LOL

The end result for me is I am not at all upset about losing Universe of Energy. I mean a little sad to see it go, but I was more sad that Mr. Toad left than this. I just want it to "fit" better. So I will wait and see but the reasoning that a character (forgot the name) went as a kid and that's it? that's kind of pathetic and they can do *much* better than that.

That said we still don't see Epcot as your kids do, but that's us. I guess I was enamored by it as a kid, and kind of glad it's been passed on a generation as well. That said I don't think I've ever seen a drunken anything at Epcot even during F&WF - which we did a couple years ago as a whole family.

Oh and in reference to another comment, kids these days definitely know Bill Nye! He's as prominent as ever in schools (kids in elementary school still know him).

Ismael Flores

Unless I am mistaken, we do have artwork indicating it is going to be at least partly forced into the existing structure, right? Guardians (and Marvel) deserve attractions designed from the ground up to tell their story, not to be contorted to fit existing spaces and save money.

This goes for Frozen, too.

I think they felt the building looked modern enough to use. Looks like they are updating the look of the outside a bit and it almost makes it look like a ship.

WDW usually demolishes building for new things, this they probably felt there was no need. I'm sure it will also speed up construction as well

BackOTheLine

Except the purple dragon was inside a pavilion dedicated to the imagination. Nice try though, D- for effort.

Well there's a whole lot of energy being used in the movie ;-). Besides UoE is an attraction full of dinosaurs located in Future World.

My point was that it's not the first time that Epcot has featured attractions that are off the rails a bit when it comes to fitting whatever formula it is we seem to have to decide if it "fits" within the theme of the park.

About that D- .... you're not going to call my parents are you?

The_Jobu

Kinda like the fact how Disney is adapting stories from the 70's to intergrate into their parks and films?

And how does 20'000 Leagues Under The Sea, a story set in Victorian era, fit into Tomorrowland? It's almost as if Disney ran out of time and money so they shoehorned the sets from a IP film into the parks as a attraction...

But please, continue to tell me how wrong I am :rolleyes:, and how the heck did you know I was eating a Butterfinger?

How did I know? Well it's a common stereotype that people that waste time online have snacking issues so I played the percentages.

So, I know you don't really know what you're talking about, but you didn't have to go and make my points for me so effectively, takes all the fun out of it.

But yes, 20k was in FANTASYLAND because it was based on a fantasy novel. Submarine Voyage, in DISNEYLAND was in Tomorrowland, because it's a submarine voyage based on the near future and ocean exploring technology.

Gee, that theming thing seems to really stick around, huh?

And please continue posting comics from the 1970s because those equal 19th century adaptations because... reasons?

Thanks for playing, we're stopping now.

Maeryk

Belligerent as in not stopping about a sinkhole when you're told several times that he t wasn't true, to the point they would never build another attraction on top of a sinkhole that closed the previous attraction.

I'm just gonna stop you right there. I came in with what the guy whose Dad did the foundation repair work on Horizons talked about. The guy also did much of the work for the Contemporary, and other projects for Disney. When Martin corrected me, that I had sinkhole and foundation issues conflated, I didn't argue with him, I corrected myself. If you see that as belligerent.. well, I don't know what to tell you.

Continuing to bemoan about people liking HORIZONS and other peoples opinions not matching yours seems to be the issue. EPCOT didn't need a new identity, its already a very successful park, one of the most successful parks in the world. Yes it needed help. I'm not opposed to UOE being replaced, it was dated, GOTG still doesn't fit or belong there. If that didn't matter Disney wouldn't have bent over backwards trying to justify its presence.
Yes, we all have opinions Disney won't listen to, but you seem way more concerned about other peoples opinions. I wouldn't have even responded to if I didn't see you doing it over and over and over...

Bemoan? I don't care one way or the other that people loved horizons. I loved communicore. I'd still play with the roller coaster simulator, were it still there. Or stare in rapt attention at the clock thingy. Or watch the leprechaun. I just admit that it's horribly dated. That's all. And that while I'm not happy with their replacements, I'd be even less happy with the original stuff.

We get it. You love Horizons. It was one of the greatest rides Disney ever built. Nobody, including me, is knocking you for that opinion. I just think Mission Space is a much better use of the space. It's not a contest, nobody wins anything for being "right". But any time change in Epcot comes up, the Horizons folks come out of the woodwork. Read back over the thread. Others brought it up first.

I don't think Disney "bent over backwards" justifying anything. They made a joke. A single joke. That's it. I think you (and others) are reading way too much into it. I see the blind men and the elephant in this thread, a lot.

We have no clue what it will be. We have some hints. We have some concept art. And we are all spinning off these wild fantasies about what it will, or will not, be. Which is loads of fun.

What's not loads of fun is getting spun up and irate about something that doesn't even exist yet. Or proclaiming gloom, doom, and the end of the park if it comes to fruition.

it's like watching internet wrestling smart fans, or "smarks" argue about booking and outcomes. It's just wasted energy up until something appears, and THEN we can celebrate or hate it. But assuming we know what it will be, and saying "it's wrong, it doesn't fit, and it will be horrible" over a piece of concept art showing a building? That's just nuts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom