News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Kamikaze

How the attraction connects to EPCOT Center was announced. Throughout the whole presentation, Disney did not discuss stories and ideas. The entire focus is on brands and it is those brands that now create the defining characteristics of a “Disney” park. That’s how this is “more ‘Disney.’”

Are you talking about him showing the picture of Peter Quill? That was a joke. It wasn't actually meant to be taken as 'this is how it fits in!'

Maeryk

This is complete nonsense. Up and down. The one person who has a deranged obsession /issue with HORIZONS is you, because you constantly bring it up on your own, trash it from out of nowhere, flame other posters, which is clearly your attempt to start an argument. You're making arguments against the posters here, not a defense of an attraction. That is seriously all you do.

I do remember HORIZONS. And it was an incredible attraction. And no, it wasn't closed by a sinkhole, which you belligerently argued over with people who actually know what they're talking about. Everything you argue is an opinion you brew out of your own head and own tastes and your own beliefs, not the truth.

A lot of us have not argued against MARVEL but the placement of the attractions

you have an amazing definition of "belligerent".

I remember horizons too. And the original Energy. And communicore, and world of motion. Everything ANYONE here is arguing is opinion. I look back incredibly fondly on those experiences. And I realize if they were presented to a 13 year old today, as I was then, they would burst out laughing at them.

The education people get has changed. When they get it has changed. Virtually everything that Energy "teaches" is part of a basic middle school if not elementary school curriculum at this point. They have no idea who Ellen, Billy Nye, or Alex Trebek are, for the most part. But almost all of them can identify Groot.

I haven't flamed a single person here. I have been civil and had some excellent discussions with people. Believe me, if I ever decide to flame, it will be quite obvious.

The fun thing about this whole mess, is my opinion about Epcot, and where it should go, is just as valid as yours. Funny how that works. And it's not like disney is listening to either of us.

correcaminos

What I see is 8 people going "nothing will ever be as good as horizons was".. people I can only assume don't actually remember Horizons. or "Sure, Energy SUCKS ROCKS, but we shouldn't change anything.. because whatever comes next will undoubtedly be worse."

You may not think it comes off that way, but it does. What I don't see are a lot of suggestions of what would be better. Just griping that we are finally getting some much needed updating.. updating that isn't simply slapping an IP into an already existing ride (Nemo) and then pretty much ignoring the entire rest of the thing in favor of the gift shop. I love that they are (apparently) keeping the energy building. But it's time for be taken out to the back 40 and put down. Disney spent a ridiculous amount of money on Marvel. Slightly less than it spent for Lucasfilm. it only makes sense that they are going to use it when/wherever they can. I know people hate IP in epcot. I get that. I just don't happen to share it.

You and others keep saying "ripping off Universal".. I really don't think that is what is going to happen here. I think you are going to get a new, innovative ride system, using a relatable ip, that will continue the mission and concept of Epcot. But again, y'all have used your crystal balls (say hi to Leota for me) and already know everything there is to know about this ride, apparently.

Nemo is in Living Seas. Lion King in Land. Figment in Imagination. Test Track is a giant GM ad, with pretty much zero "educational" anything to it at this point. Princesses in all the WS countries they come from.. for all the complaining about Anna and Elsa in Norway, Snow, Belle, Mulan, Jasmine, and a giant cat have been roaming around WS countries for decades.

Epcot needs to appeal to the teens. It just has to. WS is for "old people" as my kids keep reminding me.. it's about drinking and eating and shopping.. they were ecstatic when boring old maelstrom went away and a relatable IP went in. FW is, frankly, boring, for anyone not running the nostalgia game. Kids today are not the same as we were when we first walked in in the early 80s. sorry. It's just the way it is. Disney has to set the hook to keep them interested. Back then, when we played with the roller coaster builder in Communicore, you couldn't run a full roller coaster sim on your cell phone.
First things first, not all kids hate WS. Not all children are so, not sure what you are implying, that they need the thrills and DISNEY being thrown around everywhere. Epcot has been a family favorite and the youngest is 9 and requests it more than any other park. Not a fan of MK really thanks to Epcot.

So I really don't see how it just appeals to "old people" at all. Especially since I grew up going to Epcot starting at age 6 and loved it then - probably more than MK.

Second I know I have said if they find a way to integrate the GOTG IP into something relating to the idea of Future World, I would be much better with it. Like Nemo going into Living Seas didn't bother me because it was a fitting update on how you get "under water" to see the sea creatures. Or seeing TLK in the Land. Make it work somehow and I am happy with it. Just saying that a character went to Epcot as a kid doesn't cut it for me.

The complaint with Elsa and Ana is that Arendale does not exist in real life. It doesn't exist in Norway or anywhere. It is a fairytale location - end of story. Belle was set in France, Snow White Germany, Mulan in China etc.

When they had characters roaming WS back in the day, they fit the location. So again it worked. Slapping a make believe place and removing the country isn't cool and will never be IMO.

FTR Figment was original to Journey and was created for that ride, not the other way around.

Disneyhead'71

Personally, I think if most of the people mooning over horizons rode it now, they would think it was dated, hokey, and way too Jetsons. But nostalgia and hindsight are an interesting thing.. they tend to create this mental fog of "it was far better than it actually was". Though I do admit I miss the orange smell.
Same story for Kongfrontation. If people were to ride it now, they would be stunned at the horrible AA, clunky ride system, and hokie storyline.

Maeryk

First things first, not all kids hate WS. Not all children are so, not sure what you are implying, that they need the thrills and DISNEY being thrown around everywhere. Epcot has been a family favorite and the youngest is 9 and requests it more than any other park. Not a fan of MK really thanks to Epcot.

So I really don't see how it just appeals to "old people" at all. Especially since I grew up going to Epcot starting at age 6 and loved it then - probably more than MK.

Second I know I have said if they find a way to integrate the GOTG IP into something relating to the idea of Future World, I would be much better with it. Like Nemo going into Living Seas didn't bother me because it was a fitting update on how you get "under water" to see the sea creatures. Or seeing TLK in the Land. Make it work somehow and I am happy with it. Just saying that a character went to Epcot as a kid doesn't cut it for me.

The complaint with Elsa and Ana is that Arendale does not exist in real life. It doesn't exist in Norway or anywhere. It is a fairytale location - end of story. Belle was set in France, Snow White Germany, Mulan in China etc.

When they had characters roaming WS back in the day, they fit the location. So again it worked. Slapping a make believe place and removing the country isn't cool and will never be IMO.

FTR Figment was original to Journey and was created for that ride, not the other way around.

I didn't say my kids hated WS. But they (13 and 10) both consider it "the old people's part of the park". They have been going since they were babes in arms. And to respond to another poster: Yes, they do love museums, science centers, etc. But giant walkthrough macquettes.. not so much. and that's fine. I don't expect Disney to cater to them (Duh). But I do recognize that after a certain time in the evening, I don't actually want them IN world showcase, especially at certain festivals or during certain times of year.. because drunken idiocy is not what I choose to expose them to.

I love epcot. Always have. But when the advice you get on a 3 day trip from Kenny and others is "Skip epcot"... well.. it needs something.

Frozen was inspired by norway. They make that clear all over the place. And maelstrom was.. ugh. It was abba at sea.. with a couple of norse religious concepts mixed in. I'm not even a Frozen fan, but I like the new version better than the old one.

It's all good though. We all have our opinions. I'm just saying I can see why TDO is putting more than 80s animatronics and 40 minute dark rides into Epcot. They kinda have to. What is "hip and hot" for the people they are trying to attract today is not what it was when we were young. That's all.

Disneyhead'71

Sure. if the original ideologies put butts in seats. At the moment, the original ideology sees WS packed with stumbling drunks, and FW more or less walked through between the monorail and the booze carts. FW is dying a slow and horrible death. And saying "But it's ideologically pure!" isn't going to help. I know everyone loves to hate on Disney, and hiss the name of the current CEO and whoever is in charge of parks.. but I've been hearing that since before Epcot opened. Disney has to play the long game, and look at trends, and see what is drawing people in. And they do that.. with surveys, test audiences, etc. They aren't blindly dropping mumbledy million bucks on something and hoping it will work.

The trick, IMO, is to combine cutting edge with mild thrills and continue the edutainment. Everyone griping seems convinced they are utterly icapable of that. I am not nearly as convinced. I'm at least willing to wait and see what comes of it before I dismiss it out of hand, because my crystal ball has told me change, all change, just sucks.

The sourpusses are gonna be sourpusses, and that's their right. I choose to look forward to what could be one heck of an attraction, featuring characters I identify with and love a lot more than Ellen, Alex, and Bill Nye the psedoscience "Saves the world" guy. In fact, I wonder if his awful new tv show has spurred Disney to want to distance themselves from him. Wouldn't be the first actor for that to happen to.
Surely, GotG will be as equally educational and intellectually nuanced as the recent additions to the Norwegian Pavilion.

As in, the intellectual depth of a kiddie pool.

Maeryk

Surely, GotG will be as equally educational and intellectually nuanced as the recent additions to the Norwegian Pavilion.

As in, the intellectual depth of a kiddie pool.

We'll see, won't we?

I mean.. the viking with a mickey mouse helmet among the others with horned helmets (vikings didn't have horned helmets. Period) was certainly educational on Maelstrom..

Tom Morrow

It belongs in Epcot as much as Mission Space, Test Track, or Soarin' does.
Mission Space and space travel go with the forward thinking aspect of Epcot. The future of mankind. Test Track is stretch but the old version had the edu-tainment aspect. Soarin' is about the beauty of landscapes, and it's in The Land pavilion. Not a stretch at all.

All of these are quite different than dropping in some Marvel superheroes.

The_Jobu

They kinda have to. What is "hip and hot" for the people they are trying to attract today is not what it was when we were young.

They're like the 3rd or 4th busiest theme park in the world with about a bazillion (metric) revenue in food and sales, I don't think they have to cater to any new demographic, they're clearly very successful, old people stuff and all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom