News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
[QUOTE="The_Jobu, post: 7808626, member: 109512"

But I think you're choosing to ignore the obvious overarching theme of man's achievements and possibilities, science-centre on steroids, etc...
...[/QUOTE]

So Character Spot is aspirational for our future genetic engineering industry? Starbucks for our future food service industry?

The_Jobu

Then they probably shouldn't change a thing. Do you think Epcot would be successful if it wasn't part of Walt Disney World?

No most likely not. Good thing they are though!

[QUOTE="The_Jobu, post: 7808626, member: 109512"

But I think you're choosing to ignore the obvious overarching theme of man's achievements and possibilities, science-centre on steroids, etc...

So Character Spot is aspirational for our future genetic engineering industry? Starbucks for our future food service industry?[/QUOTE]

Yes, those are places inside a theme park... They don't change the theme of the park.

But hey, I'm with you. I think it would be awesome if they stuck even closer to their theme and turfed the Character Spot.

Ismael Flores

Sorry for the food talk,

So what were we talking about? Oh yes the aging Epcot and the possible addition of the next big IP. - Wrinkles in time for the Imagination pavilion ;-)

Disneyhead'71

They opened the park breaking the concept Walt had drawn up. Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow from opening day was an amusement park as no one actually lived there.
That is why they called it EPCOT Center. As in, the center of EPCOT. The entire Florida Property was thought of as EPCOT. And a version of Celebration was even in the grand plan at the time. The park was never supposed to represent all of what EPCOT was as a concept.

Maeryk

That is why they called it EPCOT Center. As in, the center of EPCOT. The entire Florida Property was thought of as EPCOT. And a version of Celebration was even in the grand plan at the time. The park was never supposed to represent all of what EPCOT was as a concept.

It wasn't even meant to be a park, initially, but a tourable working prototype of a self contained community. Thus the "worlds fair" concept for small shows explaining how they did it

As the reality of it being impossible set in, the small examples were scaled up, and the community scrapped.

Edited to add: Also, I think that Epcot was a segment of The Florida Project, but was not the plan for the whole property. Building that city was one of Walt's major goals, and proving it could be done.. but EPCOT was meant to be distinct from MK and the other resort hotels.

Last edited:

matt9112

In your opinion. And to put it bluntly, if you really feel that way, please stay home so there's more room for those of us who don't.

I will enjoy it and I do think there's alot of support to have it be a smash hit. With that said however there could have been legit a dozen better ideas. (Theme wise) Disney was never going to fix up the old ride they let them die slowly. So I will take what I can but the fact that my first Disney trip when I was nine was in between horizons operating years still burns....i never got a chance and I would kill too. That passion for the classic real stuff is so good to me. I'm a thrill seeker and spaceship earth is probably my favorite ride on property. It hits an emotional nerve TOT or any other ride can never touch. I'm only 28 maybe I'm the problem.

BackOTheLine

Any thoughts about how they will shuffle the Fastpass tiers once this ride opens? If they put it in the same tier with TT and Soarin - which I assume they will - that will make for a bit of a Sophie's Choice. Then add in the Rat ride...

matt9112

I think what @lazyboy97o was trying to say was Disney is just trying to throw any hot IP into anything now.

agree there is a HUGE difference between Six Flags and Disney, but it would just be nice to have a non-ip ride the scope of Everest every decade or so. I understand Disney is a company and there best interest is to promote there IP's, but it seems now that in order to build ANYTHING it must be attached to an IP.

Risk....attaching an IP Almost certainly guarantees long term success....no IP? alot more risk and possibly failure. The possible part dictates any decision made by a publicly traded company. Sad but true.

michmousefan

Ahh. A Huss Topspin.. yeah.. they are slow to load and unload, and a long ride cycle.

Also, as far as I'm concerned, a great big NOPE.
I appreciated the theming on TR, but really hate the Top Spin. Not much fun hanging while the blood rushes to your skull... just too uncomfortable, at least in my opinion. YMMV.

matt9112

Marvel is Disney. Everyone really needs to get over it. Do you not consider ABC to be Disney? Or Pixar?

If you're playing semantics and want to say 'well, its a separate division!': So is Parks and Resorts.

ACTUALLY yeah I never think of abc when I think Disney. Pixar a bit more but to me that was the beginning of the end ;)

matt9112

Precisely.
Which is why we have some posters here who don't seem to get it, and will say things like "it's the same ride system..."
Disney is not about the ride system, and it's not about the most extreme thrill.

Frozen wasn't about the "ride system" or where it was built it was about the worst hourly capacity in the entire park attached to the most popular animated movie Disney had. I mean hell what could go wrong ;)

matt9112

It's not going to be educational at all. Just accept that now. It'll instead be a cool and funny E Ticket with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Roger that....you think rocket is going to tell you to plant a tree? GOTG are anti hero's anyway I could see superman or Batman telling you to care about the planet....star Lord and a machine gun wielding raccoon? Not so much.

matt9112

I could see this working if they keep the tone light enough. Quill is like, "why can't we just get infinite energy out of a crystal or something," and Rocket has to explain Newton's 3 laws. Gamorra or Drax could go off explaining how strip-mining one of their planets for energy crystals or something had consequences for that planet and at some point there's a photosynthesis joke involving Groot. It could make for a decent preshow. Basically the same thing as the "Circle of Life" show at The Land.

Or maybe have each character have a different idea and viewpoint of how to get the ship moving again, like the old "Water Engine" show at World of Motion. Drax wants to use kinetic energy and just push the ship, Rocket wants to set off a bomb underneath it, etc...

Since they're going with a joke that Quill visited the original ride as a kid, you could do like a thought bubble above his head and he's flashing back to the old attraction and suddenly bursts out, "Guys, I think I've got it- we need to find something called 'oil shale!'"

Disney isn't thinking that much into it. No way.

matt9112

Which would be a perfect fit for a Guardians overlay, just sayin'.

Yeah so cool lets just plop that crap right next to TOT? Do you want to kill TOT or? You think Disney would let sunset blvd stay that way with a random guardians ride hanging off the side? No thanks let's leave the one unbroken part of that entire park alone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom