News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Skibum1970

They realize. The people who make the decisions just don't care. They share the viewpoint of many on this board that the parks should simply be a repository of whatever will create short-term financial gain for the company and guarantee their bonuses.

"Marvel movies make money. People like coasters. What is an attraction that can be removed to make enough space for a Marvel coaster? Universe of Energy. But, wait; that doesn't fit in to the theme of Epcot. Who cares? MONEY!!!!"

Those of us who truly care about the parks don't matter any longer, as we've been constantly reminded around here. We're old, living in the past, and should simply go somewhere else. It's depressing. As someone else in one these threads mentioned, however, the folks who only care about instant thrills will be the first ones to go somewhere else when another company starts beating Disney with their thrill attractions, except then Disney will have already lost those of us who have been lifelong fans. It won't happen in the next few years, but I assure you that it will happen unless there is a miracle and their next group of managers starts caring about the parks again. Disney isn't invincible.

I just figure that Disney makes the cuts and waits to see the impact on attendance. No measurable change? The cuts stay in force. So, they can keep dropping their offerings until attendance wanes. Plus, they now seem to be focused on adding extras for fees to try and pry whatever loose change is left in your pockets after booking the vacation out and into their hands. Basically, they want you going home with your pockets turned out or having to wear a barrel.

geekza

I just figure that Disney makes the cuts and waits to see the impact on attendance. No measurable change? The cuts stay in force. So, they can keep dropping their offerings until attendance wanes. Plus, they now seem to be focused on adding extras for fees to try and pry whatever loose change is left in your pockets after booking the vacation out and into their hands. Basically, they want you going home with your pockets turned out or having to wear a barrel.
A Limited-Edition Rose Gold Barrel purchased in the parks for $500.

lazyboy97o

hey realize. The people who make the decisions just don't care. They share the viewpoint of many on this board that the parks should simply be a repository of whatever will create short-term financial gain for the company and guarantee their bonuses.
I don’t think they realize because they don’t care. Disney has not had a head of the parks with genuine park experience in over 20 years. Jay “I rather openly hate theme parks” Rasulo and Paul “Two people were killed during my tenure then I nearly destroyed The Gap” Pressler are the most experienced in that time frame. It’s not something smart people with leadership skills like.

Last edited:

Incomudro

A quick aside not about UoE, but Guardians.

A coworker of mine recently reached out as they were going to Disneyland for the first time. A couple in their 40s with their one tween daughter. None of them had ever been. I gave them an extensive multi-day touring plan. Off they went.

Upon their return we had lunch and he told me that GotG: Mission Breakout their favorite ride...by far. I inquired about some of the Disneyland classics...Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc...and his response had me think about the parks in a different way (relevant to this conversation). He said that since none of them had never been, the nostalgia/Americana aspect of Disneyland held very little interest to them. They told me they actually spent more time in DCA than DL over the course of 4 days. Relevance to them was Guardians, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, etc.

It’s easy to forget how so many of the “classic” rides rely on our own nostalgia and to someone 100% new to the experience, they may not be as special. This opened my eyes a bit. Disney needs to find a balance of old/new and I, personally, am very excited for Guardians and won’t miss UoE at all!

Back to your regularly scheduled demolition and visual intrusion conversations...

They do, or Disney risks becoming a museum of sorts.

trainplane3

Plus, many of those coasters don't stand the test of time. As soon as something better comes along, they're often torn down. There are attractions at WDW and DL that have been going strong since 1955 and it wasn't because they offered momentary thrills.
I agree that most don't stand the test of time but most of the parks I've been to rarely tear stuff down. American parks seem to sit on their coasters longer then anyone else...and let them fall in poor condition (depending on the owner though). Magnum at Cedar Point is a decent-ish example. It'll still pull long lines and its coming up on 30 years now. And it puts out a bigger thrill then every WDW offers except maybe RnRC.

I'm still puzzled as to why Uni re-tracked the Hulk but didn't make any tweaks to the layout like the banked brake run. There's been older B&M's running without issue.

geekza

I agree that most don't stand the test of time but most of the parks I've been to rarely tear stuff down. American parks seem to sit on their coasters longer then anyone else...and let them fall in poor condition (depending on the owner though). Magnum at Cedar Point is a decent-ish example. It'll still pull long lines and its coming up on 30 years now. And it puts out a bigger thrill then every WDW offers except maybe RnRC.

I'm still puzzled as to why Uni re-tracked the Hulk but didn't make any tweaks to the layout like the banked brake run. There's been older B&M's running without issue.
It depends. Cedar Point's main selling point is the number of coasters they have, so they tend to take care of their rides and keep them around as long as possible. Pre-Cedar Fair Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds removed and added quite a few coasters from the 70's-early 2K's. Often, they'd just swap out coasters from other parks or sell them to smaller parks.

Incomudro

One of the things I don't like is how these great, epic attractions are swapped out for 3 minute thrill rides. What happened to variety of experiences?

To play devil's advocate a bit, the collective attention span of the average American - I'd argue the average park goer - is a fraction of what it was in the 80's.
Information moves at a much quicker pace, and people can quickly learn about (or learn what they want to learn about) any subject with a quick glance at their phones, via a search, youtube video etc.
People in general don't have the patience to sit and be educated.
Just look at popular movies for the masses... How quickly they move along. How little dialog their is that isn't catchy.
Increasingly - this is the audience that parks are catering to now.

Incomudro

Variety of experience? Epcot's future world was mostly omnimover attractions. There's more variety now than there was (excluding innoventions/communicore) in Epcot's early years.

This is quite true.
It was one omni mover after another representing a vision of the future - probably the time we are in now - that didn't happen.
I loved it, really loved it - and in the early 90's Epcot was my favorite WDW park.
I considered it to be the park for young adults, which I was at the time.
But it got dated, few people believe those images of future living are really going to come to be.

trainplane3

It depends. Cedar Point's main selling point is the number of coasters they have, so they tend to take care of their rides and keep them around as long as possible. Pre-Cedar Fair Kings Island, Kings Dominion, and Carowinds removed and added quite a few coasters from the 70's-early 2K's. Often, they'd just swap out coasters from other parks or sell them to smaller parks.
That is very true. Six Flags had a ride exchange program as well for a very long time.

Thanks to improvements in maintenance and coaster tech, stuff is hanging around longer then it ever would've. Which, honestly, is great. Variety of coasters is what makes those parks great. To go from Grizzly over to I305 is better then going 2015 coaster to 2016 coaster.

Rich Brownn

Variety of experience? Epcot's future world was mostly omnimover attractions. There's more variety now than there was (excluding innoventions/communicore) in Epcot's early years.
True.. although not sure thats a good thing. There were/are so few rides in the Future World section because the rides were much longer and took longer to go through. The example I always used was the Energy/Horizons/WoM/Health combo. Without lines it took nearly 2 hours just to complete the rides/shows. Now with GoGT (I'll be generous and give it 7 minutes with pre-shows) its 17 minutes and you're done.

WDWFREAK53

Ignoring Ratatouille for a moment....

Imagine you're tasked with replacing UoE with a new attraction, as the existing one is very old and expensive to maintain.

Your job is to make a new attraction and make it a BIG reason for people to visit Epcot again outside of the various festivals AND to try to keep some of the crowds away from Star Wars land and Magic Kingdom.........what do you create?

How about an attraction with a unique ride system that showcases all of the different forms of Energy and the end of the ride puts you on an exhilarating romp that utilizes all forms of energy (water, wind, solar, fossil fuels, etc.). It could start out as a slow-moving omnimover but have movement like Pooh where the cars can tip, rotate, feel as if they "float" and then you hit the launch tube and feel the full effects of those energies when they are unleashed.

The post-show is an area where you can pick different issues and try to come up with contraptions using multiple forms of energy to find a solution. (ex. move something from point A to point B through a maze using wind, water, electricity, etc.)

Horizons1

Well That is one depressing image. I was kinda hoping the diorama would be used in the upcoming ride somehow. I’m not surprised or upset really. This is the sort of thing I come to expect from those who make the decisions. There is some strong desire to move as far away from EPCOT Center as much as possible. They love to pump out t-shirts with the logo on them, but that’s only because they make money.

I really can’t be mad, though. I’m so used to this sort of thing now. I will always miss the UOE, especially the original. I really felt that was one of the most EPCOT attractions ever. “It’s out there, all around us.”

Just be thankful we still have The Land. For now at least. I’m sure one day it’ll be closed too. Actually, it’s amazing we still have The Land and, even if it is , Spaceship Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom