News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Notes from Neverland

My concern isn't so much with the history or the ingenuity of the ride (which I will heartily acknowledge), but in the idea that I'm not sold on the franchise's staying power. What kind of longevity does GotG have? Just seems like there's far better options, even if they did want to demolish the entire interior and build something new, that would have made more sense in terms of long-term thinking.

eddie104

Throwing out a very hypothetical scenario here.

There was a Spaceship Earth replacement concept called Time Racers that was part of Project Gemini. My understanding was that it would be a roller coaster through many points of history represented on digital screens. While the plot of the Guardians ride hasn't been revealed, the assumption is that it will be tied to the infinity stones and energy.

What if it isn't? What if it is a time travel attraction through various times and points in history led by the Guardians characters? Heck, they could even call it Guardians of Galaxy: Time Racers.
That would be cool and I love the looking at all the lost Epcot concepts as their are some that could be used today. On the topic of this coaster I would say all of us would be loved to have Disney create original attractions again but that is not direction they are going.

smile

the choice to build something that didn't require a lot of effort to be likeable.

or rather, the fear of building anything lacking a seemingly guaranteed path to immediate return
- we well know many of the classic, most cherished attractions in the entire disney oeuvre would have never seen the light of day in this environment

what sticks in my craw is that burbank, glendale, and orlando can/could/will/do all legitimately point fingers at each other if/when they care to admit something is wrong or can no longer obscure it :confused:
... there's just no true champion (let alone one fighting for the 'right' things) and it's obvious to anyone paying attention, imo

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

My concern isn't so much with the history or the ingenuity of the ride (which I will heartily acknowledge), but in the idea that I'm not sold on the franchise's staying power. What kind of longevity does GotG have? Just seems like there's far better options, even if they did want to demolish the entire interior and build something new, that would have made more sense in terms of long-term thinking.
I don't see the Guardians theme lasting too long.

Considering the Chapek approach, I'm sure they'll retheme it to next hot IP in the future

RSoxNo1

source.gif
Would you prefer something that doesn't connect it to Epcot?

Castle Cake Apologist

I think a better word than either easy or lazy might be safe. Like you said, a GotG attraction is guaranteed to be a hit, making it a safe choice, but I feel like calling it easy or lazy in the context of your post implies that it's destined to automatically be worse than other attractions in the park just by virtue of it being what it is. At the end of the day we don't really know what the story or theme of the attraction will be...at all. Just because it's a coaster or just because it's Guardians, it doesn't mean it can't still be an awe-inspiring attraction that ties into Epcot themes. Since we simply don't have a lot of information about it or the future of Epcot, I don't think it's fair to automatically take a position on how well executed it will be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Martin has said a few times not to expect much in the way of story once you're out of the launch tunnel, that it will largely just be a standard indoor coaster in the dark, only with spinning. So unless I'm going to be inspired by the characters in the queue, I'm not holding my breath that this attraction will have anything to do with Epcot. I hope to be wrong, of course.

aladdin2007

I don't see the Guardians theme lasting too long.

Considering the Chapek approach, I'm sure they'll retheme it to next hot IP in the future

yeah hes so short sighted anyway its sickening, all of them are anymore the way the place is being ran; from designers to accountants, managers, etc. just as a little example, the Emporium on main street and other stores have had no AC running whatsoever during 100 degree heat indexes. which is pathetic for both guests and cast, but they dont care.

Castle Cake Apologist

yeah hes so short sighted anyway its sickening, all of them are anymore the way the place is being ran; from designers to accountants, managers, etc. just as a little example, the Emporium on main street and other stores have had no AC running whatsoever during 100 degree heat indexes. which is pathetic for both guests and cast, but they dont care.

Gotta pay for Toy Story Land somehow, I guess.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Ignoring Ratatouille for a moment....

Imagine you're tasked with replacing UoE with a new attraction, as the existing one is very old and expensive to maintain.

Your job is to make a new attraction and make it a BIG reason for people to visit Epcot again outside of the various festivals AND to try to keep some of the crowds away from Star Wars land and Magic Kingdom.........what do you create?

montyz81

The waste comes from the fact that the pavilion had good bones and just needed another decent update. Instead, they gut it and take the easy route of building a roller coaster and slapping the lastest hot franchise on it. The waste is that they are using that entire building as a queue and pre-show.
What makes it even worse is they aren't even using the photovoltaic cells on the roof for the ride. Soon Epcot will be as good as Six Flags New England!

Winter

While I understand being upset over a building you loved before being in this state, complaining over the guardians ride for the one billionth time again just feels stupid and annoying to me, espicially considering this ride'll probably be much better than Universe of Energy anyway. Not that Universe of Energy was bad, but it was always one of the "worst" attractions. While it was still ok, it was pretty boring and was never a really good ride or anything. Guardians of the Galaxy is a cool IP, and the ride overall sounds fun, so at least it'll (probably) be a fun ride, even if it doesn't fit EPCOT.

I know this building is just being used on just ride queue space, but honestly what else could have been done? They couldn't have both fit a ride in there and the queue for GOTG, so the only other option really was to demolish it and replace it, which you guys would hate even more.

Yeah I know I'll probably get a billion angry responses to this post, whatever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom