News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

Communicore

Reading Marty Sklar's book, and it is evident how cutting edge EPCOT Center was in its focus, design, and execution. I still love it, but now it's just another theme park.
Hence the name, Epcot Theme Park lol lol....I really hate it when people still refer to it as EPCOT Center....

EPICOT

Leaked concept art for the interior of the BFKAUOE (Building Formerly Known As Universe of Energy)
long_queue.jpg

tonymu

Premium Member
UoE was always one of my favorite attractions. We always positioned ourselves for the great "original" preshow so that we behind the line in front of the doors so that we could race to be on the front row of the front vehicle. Unfortunately the elen version killed the awesome preshow and ruined part of the dinosaurs section. I will miss the Universe of Energy and its cool giant theater seat vehicles. I will take a few positives from what is happening. At least they are not tearing down the structure! We always be able to look at the UoE building and remember the great attraction that used to be there. We don't get to do that with Horizons! Also at least unlike the heatstroke debacle in Toy Story Land and lack of preshow on SDD at least we get a long indoor air conditioned preshow for GoG. It could have ended up worse!

MiddKid

A quick aside not about UoE, but Guardians.

A coworker of mine recently reached out as they were going to Disneyland for the first time. A couple in their 40s with their one tween daughter. None of them had ever been. I gave them an extensive multi-day touring plan. Off they went.

Upon their return we had lunch and he told me that GotG: Mission Breakout their favorite ride...by far. I inquired about some of the Disneyland classics...Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc...and his response had me think about the parks in a different way (relevant to this conversation). He said that since none of them had never been, the nostalgia/Americana aspect of Disneyland held very little interest to them. They told me they actually spent more time in DCA than DL over the course of 4 days. Relevance to them was Guardians, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, etc.

It’s easy to forget how so many of the “classic” rides rely on our own nostalgia and to someone 100% new to the experience, they may not be as special. This opened my eyes a bit. Disney needs to find a balance of old/new and I, personally, am very excited for Guardians and won’t miss UoE at all!

Back to your regularly scheduled demolition and visual intrusion conversations...

Disney Analyst

A quick aside not about UoE, but Guardians.

A coworker of mine recently reached out as they were going to Disneyland for the first time. A couple in their 40s with their one tween daughter. None of them had ever been. I gave them an extensive multi-day touring plan. Off they went.

Upon their return we had lunch and he told me that GotG: Mission Breakout their favorite ride...by far. I inquired about some of the Disneyland classics...Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc...and his response had me think about the parks in a different way (relevant to this conversation). He said that since none of them had never been, the nostalgia/Americana aspect of Disneyland held very little interest to them. They told me they actually spent more time in DCA than DL over the course of 4 days. Relevance to them was Guardians, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, etc.

It’s easy to forget how so many of the “classic” rides rely on our own nostalgia and to someone 100% new to the experience, they may not be as special. This opened my eyes a bit. Disney needs to find a balance of old/new and I, personally, am very excited for Guardians and won’t miss UoE at all!

Back to your regularly scheduled demolition and visual intrusion conversations...

It’s always good to pop our heads out from the Disney fan haze we’re under and see a bit of reality. You speak the truth.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
While I understand being upset over a building you loved before being in this state, complaining over the guardians ride for the one billionth time again just feels stupid and annoying to me..
That’s because your opinion doesn’t match that of some others. Which of course is fine. Life would be boring if everyone felt the same.

I’d take an updated and refurbished version of one of WEDs crowning achievements any day over another indoor rollercoaster that will have a queue and preshow infinitely longer than a few minutes of forgettable fun before the smartphone tells you what fry in the pan, whiz bang distraction of the moment to do next.

I'd take it even with the forthcoming IP installed in the original but updated ride format (shocking I know)

Not to mention the budget could have rebuilt the UoE from scratch AND have funded a lot of other sorely needed projects.

In my opinion of course.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

That’s because your opinion doesn’t match that of some others. Which of course is fine. Life would be boring if everyone felt the same.

I’d take an updated and refurbished version of one of WEDs crowning achievements any day over another indoor rollercoaster that will have a queue and preshow infinitely longer than a few minutes of forgettable fun before the smartphone tells you what fry in the pan, whiz bang distraction of the moment to do next.

I'd take it even with the forthcoming IP installed in the original but updated ride format (shocking I know)

Not to mention the budget could have rebuilt the UoE from scratch AND have funded a lot of other sorely needed projects.

In my opinion of course.
For what it is worth, I will miss Energy hugely. Never ever liked the Ellen version, but loved the original. We never missed riding on it every visit to EPCOT we had.

While I get the excitement of a new ride, with newish tech...if there is any.... I don't see anything wrong with wishing they had just spent the money on the original and fixed it to run as designed. I put the GMR ride in the same vein here. I just don't think WDW or those powers that be realize what they have taken away from us

geekza

I just don't think WDW or those powers that be realize what they have taken away from us
They realize. The people who make the decisions just don't care. They share the viewpoint of many on this board that the parks should simply be a repository of whatever will create short-term financial gain for the company and guarantee their bonuses.

"Marvel movies make money. People like coasters. What is an attraction that can be removed to make enough space for a Marvel coaster? Universe of Energy. But, wait; that doesn't fit in to the theme of Epcot. Who cares? MONEY!!!!"

Those of us who truly care about the parks don't matter any longer, as we've been constantly reminded around here. We're old, living in the past, and should simply go somewhere else. It's depressing. As someone else in one these threads mentioned, however, the folks who only care about instant thrills will be the first ones to go somewhere else when another company starts beating Disney with their thrill attractions, except then Disney will have already lost those of us who have been lifelong fans. It won't happen in the next few years, but I assure you that it will happen unless there is a miracle and their next group of managers starts caring about the parks again. Disney isn't invincible.

Bocabear

They realize. The people who make the decisions just don't care. They share the viewpoint of many on this board that the parks should simply be a repository of whatever will create short-term financial gain for the company and guarantee their bonuses.

"Marvel movies make money. People like coasters. What is an attraction that can be removed to make enough space for a Marvel coaster? Universe of Energy. But, wait; that doesn't fit in to the theme of Epcot. Who cares? MONEY!!!!"

Those of us who truly care about the parks don't matter any longer, as we've been constantly reminded around here. We're old, living in the past, and should simply go somewhere else. It's depressing. As someone else in one these threads mentioned, however, the folks who only care about instant thrills will be the first ones to go somewhere else when another company starts beating Disney with their thrill attractions, except then Disney will have already lost those of us who have been lifelong fans. It won't happen in the next few years, but I assure you that it will happen unless there is a miracle and their next group of managers starts caring about the parks again. Disney isn't invincible.
But I think they honestly and truly think that they are... Raise the prices, reduce attractions...it has been going on for years and yet they continue to make record profits by doing less and less... Of course at this minute they are finally starting to address the general degradation of the parks with some fresh things, but in general, I truly believe they think they are invinceable and no matter what they do, they will reap boatloads of cash... it is sad, but they don't care anymore.

trainplane3

In my opinion of course.
This. I don't go to WDW to ride coasters. Sure they have them, and they are kind of unique. But I go for rides, experiences, and stories that no other park offers on the same scale (Okay, Uni and some European parks...).

Why would I want to go to WDW when I can go to a Cedar Fair park (Cedar Point or Kings Island) that is within 3 hours of my home or Kennywood, which is 45 minutes tops away, to get a bigger thrill then WDW will ever offer?

"But Disney is going to build more coasters to get those thrills!", sure, right, they are. But they'll never build a giga coaster, a 200ft dive coaster, or some hybrid coaster that was fueled by someone on drugs. All of their coasters will probably stay in the realm of "oh that was fun!" but never hit "holy #*@&^#! WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED" level that true coaster parks hit.

Your coaster can turn the cars on demand? That's cool and all but...ya...okay.

geekza

This. I don't go to WDW to ride coasters. Sure they have them, and they are kind of unique. But I go for rides, experiences, and stories that no other park offers on the same scale (Okay, Uni and some European parks...).

Why would I want to go to WDW when I can go to a Cedar Fair park (Cedar Point or Kings Island) that is within 3 hours of my home or Kennywood, which is 45 minutes tops away, to get a bigger thrill then WDW will ever offer?

"But Disney is going to build more coasters to get those thrills!", sure, right, they are. But they'll never build a giga coaster, a 200ft dive coaster, or some hybrid coaster that was fueled by someone on drugs. All of their coasters will probably stay in the realm of "oh that was fun!" but never hit "holy #*@&^#! WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED" level that true coaster parks hit.

Your coaster can turn the cars on demand? That's cool and all but...ya...okay.
Plus, many of those coasters don't stand the test of time. As soon as something better comes along, they're often torn down. There are attractions at WDW and DL that have been going strong since 1955 and it wasn't because they offered momentary thrills.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom