News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

JBIRDTO

I am sure it will provide a good level of excitement and thrill. I think I get what Martin is saying. It may not leave a multi-decade impression on anyone like the classics of EPCOT did. I am looking forward to this but am not expecting it to have the same emotional impact on me.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What do you say about Pandora, then?
What I’ve already said about it. Fantastic looking area, very good but not great attraction. Plus the boat ride.

I’ve also said (again recently) that IP works when in the correct place.

I’m sure plenty will enjoy the Guardians ride. Like I said earlier everyone is entitled to an opinion.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I could never call Epcot boring — but there are things about the original concept that just don’t work at a time when technology changes so quickly. My husband’s been saying that since we started visiting years ago... and making “jokes” about it (“Future World: where you can be hands on with the last decade’s technology!”). That’s not just about Disney moving to IP or not trying hard enough to keep up — they couldn’t feasibly keep up with this concept.

Yes and no. Disney really put a lack of effort into updating things, like when they had PS2 games in Innoventions for what seemed like YEARS when most people had a PS3 at home. That's a VERY small thing, but it speaks IMO to the overall lack of effort to keep things updated and also to attract forward-thinking companies to sponsor things, instead of seemingly having the attitude that companies should come to Disney instead.

As I've said many times, I'd really love to know the details of how Disney has done sponsorship contracts in the past and what they do in the present. Epcot could EASILY be a leading technology showcase/destination if they had more events, TED talks, maybe add some decent convention space attached to the park and make it an overall integrated park with technology companies.

MickeyMinnieMom

Epcot could EASILY be a leading technology showcase/destination if they had more events, TED talks, maybe add some decent convention space attached to the park and make it an overall integrated park with technology companies.
Maybe — though I’d take out the word “easily” and ask whether it would make any business sense for them to try. Few thoughts off the top of my head:

1) Let’s have them focus first on making their own website and MDE work. ;)

2) Sounds like a different line of business; tech company space. Feels like they’d need multiple partnerships to make something work.

3) I don’t know about having these things take up physical space in a theme park, when the space you’d need would have to undergo such frequent re-configuration to accommodate tech changes and stay relevant. That’s why this stuff seems better as a convention idea than permanent setup.

4) Do enough people on a WDW vacation want to take part in this to make the investment worth it? I’d guess no.

smile

There does. But it should be possible for one to be part of the other. Like there used to be.

amen... that's where a lot of really good 'wow' used to come from

uniquely WDW experience?

certainly not.

considering avatar has nothing to do with disney and is merely a desperate movie tie-in absurdly thought to compete with potter...
there's absolutely no reason that couldn't be in a universal park

MickeyMinnieMom

considering avatar has nothing to do with disney and is merely a desperate movie tie-in absurdly thought to compete with potter...
there's absolutely no reason that couldn't be in a universal park
IMO the quality of execution and immersion in Pandora is higher than Potter — and Universal in general. Nothing about it strikes me as desperate.

doctornick

Plus, many of those coasters don't stand the test of time. As soon as something better comes along, they're often torn down. There are attractions at WDW and DL that have been going strong since 1955 and it wasn't because they offered momentary thrills.

That's a false dichotomy. Thrill rides like the Matterhorn and Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure and ToT are Disney classics that are beloved. And plenty of mild rides have been torn down and replaced over the years because they were no longer popular.

The secret is just to make high quality rides so matter what the "style".

MickeyMinnieMom

The idea that entertainment is inherently incapable of being thoughtful and inspirational is nonsense peddled by those who are afraid of thinking.
Not sure anyone is disagreeing with this. Of course entertainment can be thoughtful and inspirational.

I didn’t find Ellen’s Energy Adventure thoughtful and inspirational. Did others? When is the last time that Innoventions was thoughtful and inspirational? Not in the last 15yrs for sure.

FoP gets closer to thoughtful and inspirational than current Figment or extinct UoE ride.

Having some entertainment be thoughtful and inspirational doesn’t mean that there isn’t room for thrill rides as well.

geekza

That's a false dichotomy. Thrill rides like the Matterhorn and Space Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure and ToT are Disney classics that are beloved. And plenty of mild rides have been torn down and replaced over the years because they were no longer popular.

The secret is just to make high quality rides so matter what the "style".
I agree and the three you mentioned are prime examples of going the extra mile to make sure that something is more than just a ride. (Well, Space Mountain, at least in WDW, is not nearly as successful as the other two you mentioned, but I am well aware that my indifference toward it is not shared by the majority of folks and can accept that.) By all accounts, the Guardians attraction is simply a pre-show and then a dark coaster with little to no theming. I may end up being completely wrong and, if I am, I will admit it; however, even putting aside its total disconnect from Epcot, I just don't think it will have staying power.

Look, I admit that the days when WDW was special and amazing are gone. That's why I'm going this year for what I feel certain will be one last time to take in what remains and then move on. It's a shame that the company has fallen so low, but it has and there's nothing I can do to stop it. I'll be darned, however, if I'll stop talking about how great it used to be. It was. It isn't now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom