News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

smile

Upon their return we had lunch and he told me that GotG: Mission Breakout their favorite ride...by far. I inquired about some of the Disneyland classics...Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc...and his response had me think about the parks in a different way (relevant to this conversation). He said that since none of them had never been, the nostalgia/Americana aspect of Disneyland held very little interest to them. They told me they actually spent more time in DCA than DL over the course of 4 days. Relevance to them was Guardians, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’

so, their familial common preference is... for screens......
then you sent them to the wrong place - they'd absolutely adore uni, especially uor! (at present)
;)

in the long run, screens can also become counterproductive financially, when one considers having to consistently alter/change/re-build/update (but that's for another quarter, right?! might even be somebody else's problem then)...
other than just keeping them moving, pirates, mansion, and indy haven't really needed anything for decades, yet still manage to retain hefty, rather pleased, audiences.

as well, certain parts of dca have been worked, re-worked, and worked-up again so many times something's bound to stick eventually, right?
that's the hope, anyways :p

regardless, quite interesting - thanks for sharing

Haymarket2008

A quick aside not about UoE, but Guardians.

A coworker of mine recently reached out as they were going to Disneyland for the first time. A couple in their 40s with their one tween daughter. None of them had ever been. I gave them an extensive multi-day touring plan. Off they went.

Upon their return we had lunch and he told me that GotG: Mission Breakout their favorite ride...by far. I inquired about some of the Disneyland classics...Pirates, Mansion, Indy, etc...and his response had me think about the parks in a different way (relevant to this conversation). He said that since none of them had never been, the nostalgia/Americana aspect of Disneyland held very little interest to them. They told me they actually spent more time in DCA than DL over the course of 4 days. Relevance to them was Guardians, Toy Story Mania, Soarin’, etc.

It’s easy to forget how so many of the “classic” rides rely on our own nostalgia and to someone 100% new to the experience, they may not be as special. This opened my eyes a bit. Disney needs to find a balance of old/new and I, personally, am very excited for Guardians and won’t miss UoE at all!

Back to your regularly scheduled demolition and visual intrusion conversations...

Oh man, that is depressing.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Or TPFKAEPCOT...

Capture.PNG

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
One of the things I don't like is how these great, epic attractions are swapped out for 3 minute thrill rides. What happened to variety of experiences?
To be fair, Epcot only has 2 thrill rides. And they aren't necessarily the most exciting experiences at WDW.

As a young adult, I think they need more thrills. Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, and Magic Kingdom have a good balance. Epcot is severely lacking. And this is coming from someone who loves the history of Epcot... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I take first timers to Disney, (Which has been a total of 2 in may, 3 in july, and 5 more people in August), they ALWAYS complain that Epcot was the most boring theme park. And I'm always trying to justify the park and its history when in reality... It really does suck and is incredibly boring to the average theme park guest.

Disney isn't making as much money off of us historical Epcot fans. They make money off of thrills. And to be honest, I'm tired of trying to justify Epcot. It was a failed attempt. Nobody wants edutainment. They want pure entertainment. So, Disney, give the people what they want and ignore us little guys, as much as I hate to say it.

Because trying to justify Epcot's original intentions every single time to these first timers who don't understand why Epcot is the way it is, destroys me piece by piece.

As long as they keep American Adventure and the Figment character, they can just do what they need to do with the rest of the park. I've grown to accept the reality that Epcot's original theme park idea just doesn't work anymore. And I also realize that the reality of accepting that on these forums will take years and years. But I'm ready for the change. Bring on MK 2.0! I'm ready now!

THE Monorail Lime

To be fair, Epcot only has 2 thrill rides. And they aren't necessarily the most exciting experiences at WDW.

As a young adult, I think they need more thrills. Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom, and Magic Kingdom have a good balance. Epcot is severely lacking. And this is coming from someone who loves the history of Epcot... EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I take first timers to Disney, (Which has been a total of 2 in may, 3 in july, and 5 more people in August), they ALWAYS complain that Epcot was the most boring theme park. And I'm always trying to justify the park and its history when in reality... It really does suck and is incredibly boring to the average theme park guest.

Disney isn't making as much money off of us historical Epcot fans. They make money off of thrills. And to be honest, I'm tired of trying to justify Epcot. It was a failed attempt. Nobody wants edutainment. They want pure entertainment. So, Disney, give the people what they want and ignore us little guys, as much as I hate to say it.

Because trying to justify Epcot's original intentions every single time to these first timers who don't understand why Epcot is the way it is, destroys me piece by piece.

As long as they keep American Adventure and the Figment character, they can just do what they need to do with the rest of the park. I've grown to accept the reality that Epcot's original theme park idea just doesn't work anymore. And I also realize that the reality of accepting that on these forums will take years and years. But I'm ready for the change. Bring on MK 2.0! I'm ready now!
Amen

Winter

For the record, It's not like I hate the original idea of what Epcot was or hate dark rides or anything like that. I'm perfectly fine with dark rides like Spaceship Earth and Living to the Land and so on, and most of the old attractions still sound fun. But I don't specificly prefer that stuff, just like I don't prefer a new roller coaster or anything, it really depends how much I enjoy the ride, and this ride sounds fun to me.

And yeah, as WondersOfLife said, there is a fact that many people love coasters, and this park doesn't have any. Most people probably wanted a coaster, so really, it's a good thing overall that they did this anyway. I didn'r really hear much love for the ellen version of universe of energy before it was confirmed to close anyway, so it's not like they took away one of the most beloved attractions either.

MickeyMinnieMom

I could never call Epcot boring — but there are things about the original concept that just don’t work at a time when technology changes so quickly. My husband’s been saying that since we started visiting years ago... and making “jokes” about it (“Future World: where you can be hands on with the last decade’s technology!”). That’s not just about Disney moving to IP or not trying hard enough to keep up — they couldn’t feasibly keep up with this concept.

We tend to ride Soarin, Land, spend some time at The Seas, maybe TT if it’s actually running (!!), then we make a beeline for WS. We still like just wandering around there, enjoying F&W or F&G, eating, shopping, etc. My 11yo daughter is obsessed with Mitsukoshi, and my 13yo son cites WS as his favorite spot in WDW.

We have been beyond bored for years with UoE. We’re really looking forward to the new stuff... Remy, hopefully new pavilion(s), GotG, new space restaurant, etc. FW especially just needs help.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
FW especially just needs help.
No one in their right mind would say otherwise.

But help with attractions that are Disney unique, with the same scale, drama, detail and story that the company used to make every time. Not 3 minute experiences that are forgotten about when you move on to the next 3 minute experience.

Basically quality attractions that can’t be found elsewhere, with a theme that fits the location. This is the same for elsewhere in WDW, not just FW.

Incomudro

Great post.
You're correct - the people don't want edutainment, at least not in crowded theme parks anymore.
They want entertainment.
And trying to explain "well, this park was built as a vision of the future... a future that isn't coming" isn't cutting it.

JBIRDTO

But help with attractions that are Disney unique, with the same scale, drama, detail and story that the company used to make every time. Not 3 minute experiences that are forgotten about when you move on to the next 3 minute experience.

Basically quality attractions that can’t be found elsewhere, with a theme that fits the location. This is the same for elsewhere in WDW, not just FW.
Are there any sound minds left in the company that have any level of influence?

MickeyMinnieMom

I get what you’re saying and don’t completely disagree. But I think it needs to be a balance of thrills and uniquely WDW experiences.

I think that’s a reasonable balance to strike for consumers who love both — has to be smarter business-wise.

And I’m not personally an “anti-IP snob” (my sister’s term!). If a ride is beautifully executed, I think the vast, VAST majority will appreciate it. And why not?!? I’m thinking FoP here — I HATE AVATAR — but I LOVE that ride. Is it a worse attraction because it’s existing IP and not Disney original? Not for me.

Would I love to see WDW come out with the next Pirates? Sure! That’s a greater risk for them, but I’d still like to see it. I just won’t lose it if they don’t. I won’t stop going as long as the offerings are solid. And they still are, to us.

Incomudro

What makes you believe that the Guardians ride will be forgotten about when people move on to the next ride?
Don't you think some people might want to ride it again as quickly as possible?
On the second day of their trip?
Perhaps go home, talk about how much they enjoyed it to friends and family - and plan on returning to ride it again?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What makes you believe that the Guardians ride will be forgotten about when people move on to the next ride?
Don't you think some people might want to ride it again as quickly as possible?
On the second day of their trip?
Perhaps go home, talk about how much they enjoyed it to friends and family - and plan on returning to ride it again?
Ask me again in three years.

EPCOTCenterLover

This is quite true.
It was one omni mover after another representing a vision of the future - probably the time we are in now - that didn't happen.
I loved it, really loved it - and in the early 90's Epcot was my favorite WDW park.
I considered it to be the park for young adults, which I was at the time.
But it got dated, few people believe those images of future living are really going to come to be.
This is true, but they've gone too far the other way in removing high capacity attractions which, yes, were mostly omnimovers. One additional reason the rewmoval of Universe of Energy is a loss. A totally unique ride system- unduplicated anywhere in the world!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They share the viewpoint of many on this board that the parks should simply be a repository of whatever will create short-term financial gain for the company and guarantee their bonuses.
Don't mistake bowing to the inevitable as support for the wholesale IP-ization of Epcot, DHS and AK.

But at some point you have to realize that Disney has become more ABC than Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom