Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_Black

The theory is that since Guardians weren't even a thing when the IoA was developed, they're in the clear. Same with Big Hero 6 (especially since that one is drastically altered from it's original comic version). It's speculated that Doctor Strange might be usable too, though that's iffier. While he's not represented on the IoA mural, he was a member of the Defenders, which has included characters who ARE on the mural, so it's thought that he MIGHT fall under the "family" guidelines.

Rteetz

I apologize if this has been addressed already but wouldn't Disney be breaching a contract with USO if they build a Marvel themed attraction in WDW?
If its Guardians no. This has been discussed dozens of times on these boards.

Matt_Black

Of course, every now and then someone will pop up with the "But.... but... they're honorary Avengers! That means they can't be used." If that were true, then Uni should have sued Disney years ago for having memorabilia from the 60s Batman show, because he's an honorary Avenger too. (Thanks, inter-company crossovers!)

Princess Leia

Guardians have technically been around since the 60s, but their current line up was created in 2008. When the contract was signed in the 90s, they were considered D-listers, so Universal and Marvel probably didn't even think about adding them to the contract.
Even when the movie was announced at Comic Con in 2012, almost everyone was like 'who?'

Hrudey3032

Not everyone reads these boards like some do on a daily basis and know everything. I certainly do not reads these boards like I did 3-5 years ago because I have alot going on. I try to read as much as I can but sometimes there are pages of back and forth on a thread that have nothing to do on the topic at hand.....sorta like this. So I apologize in advance if I miss something 30-50 pages ago in a thread or ask a question like the above poster because I don't know every little thing.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Not everyone reads these boards like some do on a daily basis and know everything. I certainly do not reads these boards like I did 3-5 years ago because I have alot going on. I try to read as much as I can but sometimes there are pages of back and forth on a thread that have nothing to do on the topic at hand.....sorta like this. So I apologize in advance if I miss something 30-50 pages ago in a thread or ask a question like the above poster because I don't know every little thing.

Unfortunately, it's a contentions question which doesn't have a clear black and white answer so every time it's brought up it leads to pages and pages of back and forth discussion.

Hrudey3032

Unfortunately, it's a contentions question which doesn't have a clear black and white answer so every time it's brought up it leads to pages and pages of back and forth discussion.
I absolutely get that but my point is not all of us live on the boards reading it. I used to be religiously but I just can't anymore working 2 jobs. I try to stay as up to date as possible but sometimes what little time I have when I am not working I use for family time or catching up on what few shows I like left.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I think @Rteetz 's response of "its been discussed dozens of times" was simply to back up his statement. I dont think it was intended to belittle the person he responded to.

DinoInstitute

Probably but this could also be part of whatever's done to Animation Courtyard or Echo Lake. Star Tours would be another likely candidate after SWL is done but rather sad imo.

This needs to be a new build.
The fact that this seemingly has to be a replacement is just so sad. I mean, location aside, the GotG attraction at UoE sounds like it will be pretty awesome. I would love to be able to ride it, I just want it in the right place- DHS.

If they really feel the need to replace rather than build up though, I still stand by ST being the best, easiest, and most obvious replacement for GotG. The problem is of course that there's not a chance in the world they would shut down a Star Wars attraction right now*. They could put the GotG ride on the Indy plot also, would save a lot of money on CMs.

*Possible work around if they wanted GotG in ST- they could always give Indy a SW overlay and make it a SW stunt show which could be cool for the time being. Once that opens close ST.

Stripes

Does Disney know what they're doing?

@ParentsOf4 a while back did some outstanding analysis on an attendance forecast for WDW and the effect it would have on crowding at WDW. After reading that, it really opened my eyes as to how much they need to expand capacity to ensure a mere adequate guest experience. With all these "expansions" replacing capacity rather than adding capacity (SWL, TSL, Mickey ride, GotG, Stich replacement), Disney is going to have some big issues unless they change direction drastically, even by @ParentsOf4 's conservative estimates.

Food for thought.

Matt_Black

Guardians have technically been around since the 60s, but their current line up was created in 2008. When the contract was signed in the 90s, they were considered D-listers, so Universal and Marvel probably didn't even think about adding them to the contract.
Even when the movie was announced at Comic Con in 2012, almost everyone was like 'who?'

Indeed. At that point Drax and Gamora had been part of a failed title called "Adam Warlock & The Infinity Watch", Rocket Racoon may have been dead (Hulk writer Peter David was apparently not a big fan of the character, if I recall correctly, and would try to throw in subtle allusions that he had been killed off off-panel), and Star-Lord and Groot hadn't been used in years.

Stripes

I'm surprised no one has followed up on the possible shelving of Guardians in Epcot.......hmmm....
If true (at this point I'm inclined not to believe it, unless given a reason to otherwise)...this could have something to do with a Marvel deal. With Disney Springs getting an official Marvel store (something that would definitely be in violation of the contract), perhaps Disney has decided the up the ante with their Marvel presence at WDW.

EDIT: I'm not at all familiar with the management structure at WDW. The Twitter user said he got this info from a "coordinator". Does anybody more familiar with management know if a coordinator would be trusted with such information?

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If true (at this point I'm inclined not to believe it, unless given a reason to otherwise)...this could have something to do with a Marvel deal. With Disney Springs getting an official Marvel store (something that would definitely be in violation of the contract), ....

That's not necessarily true, this is another area that isn't black or white. I am not sure why it took so long to get the sign on the Marvel store, but @wdwmagic indicated that it was a rather simple reason, although he did not elaborate.

Stripes

That's not necessarily true, this is another area that isn't black or white. I am not sure why it took so long to get the sign on the Marvel store, but @wdwmagic indicated that it was a rather simple reason, although he did not elaborate.
Hmm...I thought the contract was pretty clear that there couldn't be a Marvel-branded store within 60 miles of IOA. But, perhaps the Marvel Action Universe concept highlighted in the contract is far more restricted in definition than I ever imagined.

Last edited:

Matt_Black

Hmm...I thought the contract was pretty clear that there couldn't be a Marvel-branded store within 60 miles of IOA. Either that, or the Marvel Action Universe concept highlighted in the contract is far more restricted in definition than I ever imagined.

OR they reached some manner of compromise with Universal that neither party has made public.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Hmm...I thought the contract was pretty clear that there couldn't be a Marvel-branded store within 60 miles of IOA. But, perhaps the Marvel Action Universe concept highlighted in the contract is far more restricted in definition than I ever imagined.

The Marvel Action Universe in the contract is more then just a retail store. It was a retail store with some entertainment elements like video games, simulators, etc. I think the idea was that by adding this to a store would technically make it a theme park, albeit a small one, that the contract needed to make an exception for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom