Guardians of the Galaxy coming to Energy Pavilion at Epcot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripes

Premium Member
The Marvel Action Universe in the contract is more then just a retail store. It was a retail store with some entertainment elements like video games, simulators, etc. I think the idea was that by adding this to a store would technically make it a theme park, albeit a small one, that the contract needed to make an exception for it.
In that case no deal would be necessary. Until Disney changed the name of Superhero HQ many, including myself, assumed Marvel was intentionally left out of the name due to the contract, but perhaps not.

aladdin2007

As of last week, nothing.

I do know though that not all of management, locally and globally, plus some of WDI, weren't entirely happy with Chapeks latest epic.

good, sounds like all four corners of the globe are getting a little more vocal about his ideas. could the backlash about DCA's tower be helping?

DinoInstitute

There have been.... chats. Though not about individual IP. More about overall style of presentation
Just a wild guess, but could this maybe be that Universal removes any reference to the name "Marvel" like Disney can't have now, but still has the same rights to the characters, but now Disney can use the Marvel logo in the parks and all (again, with no change in character/IP rights)?

huwar18

I do know though that not all of management, locally and globally, plus some of WDI, weren't entirely happy with Chapeks latest epic.

@marni1971 Sorry, if you stated this before. What do you mean by his latest epic? Well, that is a good thing if management is not completely happy. That is how change starts.

Cesar R M

Carousel of Progress over on Twitter is claiming that according to a coordinator over in Epcot, Energy is safe from Guardians and now they're looking at the Studios again.

Meanwhile, I'm just picturing the two parks as Jumba and Stitch playing hot potato

oh gods, I love that scene so much!
The part where Stitch convinces Jumba to remove the locks is hilarious too XD

Cesar R M

The theory is that since Guardians weren't even a thing when the IoA was developed, they're in the clear. Same with Big Hero 6 (especially since that one is drastically altered from it's original comic version). It's speculated that Doctor Strange might be usable too, though that's iffier. While he's not represented on the IoA mural, he was a member of the Defenders, which has included characters who ARE on the mural, so it's thought that he MIGHT fall under the "family" guidelines.
Pretty sure the Guardians were all the way back to the 60s.. at least the Yondu and Charlie version.
the current ones since the late 2000's in the CONQUEST series.

Of course, every now and then someone will pop up with the "But.... but... they're honorary Avengers! That means they can't be used." If that were true, then Uni should have sued Disney years ago for having memorabilia from the 60s Batman show, because he's an honorary Avenger too. (Thanks, inter-company crossovers!)

not to mention again that a lot of avengers have been with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

And particularly because the old guardians of the 60's had a tagline of "Tomorrow's Avengers".

Cesar R M

Indeed. At that point Drax and Gamora had been part of a failed title called "Adam Warlock & The Infinity Watch", Rocket Racoon may have been dead (Hulk writer Peter David was apparently not a big fan of the character, if I recall correctly, and would try to throw in subtle allusions that he had been killed off off-panel), and Star-Lord and Groot hadn't been used in years.
Speaking of Rocket and Groot, really recommend his own new series (Rocket Racoon, Rocket Racoon and Groot, Groot issues)
They are absolutely ballsy funny!
Almost as ironic and dumb as deadpool's own shenanigans from the 90's

Cesar R M

If true (at this point I'm inclined not to believe it, unless given a reason to otherwise)...this could have something to do with a Marvel deal. With Disney Springs getting an official Marvel store (something that would definitely be in violation of the contract), perhaps Disney has decided the up the ante with their Marvel presence at WDW.

EDIT: I'm not at all familiar with the management structure at WDW. The Twitter user said he got this info from a "coordinator". Does anybody more familiar with management know if a coordinator would be trusted with such information?
what if Universal made a deal with them? "No Guardians E ticket on epcot and well let you sell Marvel merchandise with names and stuff on Disney Springs"

Cesar R M

Has chapek done anything positive rather than try to shove Marvel or other popular ips in every single attraction he touches?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
what if Universal made a deal with them? "No Guardians E ticket on epcot and well let you sell Marvel merchandise with names and stuff on Disney Springs"

That's a pretty lopsided deal. I don't think the Marvel name on that store is going to dramatically increase business.

jt04

Sarcasm. He's acting under orders but his remit is to push as much IP into the parks as quickly as possibly and to damn with the consequences.

Universal is driving this trend it seems. I am just waiting for the "Volcano Bay" to show up in the next Godzilla movie. Or perhaps King Kong.

huwar18

Sarcasm. He's acting under orders but his remit is to push as much IP into the parks as quickly as possibly and to damn with the consequences.

That is what I thought :p I have not been able to be active on the boards in the last couple of days. Was not sure if I missed something. Thanks.

Magenta Panther

You mean that people with taste and discernment DO exist within the confines of the Robert Iger Company?

That's a freaking relief. If what you say is indeed the case, I can well imagine that there's been some inner-circle fuss raised about the tacky intrusions of off-kilter IP into the parks of late. Look at the fuss a lot of us here - and elsewhere - have made about them, especially over the destruction of the Towers. I recently looked at the Youtube video featuring Joe Rohde about the GotG makeover of DCA's Tower. Lots more downvotes than upvotes. Here's the link if anyone's interested:

Be sure to watch this on Youtube to see the votes. Stuff like this kinda restores my faith in humanity...

JustInTime

Soooo it's rumored for the Studios again? As long asits not the tower, that's fine. I'd actually prefer a whole new attraction but let's not hold our breath. But they need to find a energy replacement ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom