Great news about skyliner....good bye to an annoyance..

DisneyDreamer08

I did a solo trip back in January and stayed in the All Stars instead of Pop/ AoA specifically to not use the gondolas. I knew as a solo I would likely be put with other people and the thought of dealing with awkward small talk day after day was a big ‘no thank you’ for me 🤣 I don’t even like small talk with people I know, never mind with strangers. I’d gladly give the gondolas a try with my family but not alone.

valenrandy

We have stayed several times at POP/CB ever since the Skyliner opened. In our experience we always shared a cabin during the Park Opening/ Park Closing times. Between these times during the day, the Skyliner is usually a walk on. I would guess that during the slower part of the day you woul still probably get your own cabin. Could you imagine seeing cabin by cabin go by empty until there was enough people to fill 1 up during slow times. I'm probably reading these changes out of context though.

mikejs78

Premium Member
It was another short trip, though, right?

I could see them building a couple of additional small lines (i.e. a connection to Coronado Springs or somewhere else close by), I just don't think it will ever be feasible to expand property wide.

I thought I remember hearing something about AK. But that seems long.

UNCgolf

AK isn't actually that far from DHS. It'd be longer than anything else they've built, but it's only about half as far away as the MK. I could maybe see them expanding the DHS line to the All-Star Resorts and then having a line that goes from there to the Animal Kingdom.

The biggest issue I see with that is that they couldn't just build a straight line, and the Skyliner really slows down and loses efficiency when it has to make turns. They'd probably have to route it through multiple turn stations to get around DHS itself (since the Skyliner is on the opposite side of the park from AK). Since it wouldn't be a direct route, that could end up being a 25-30 minute ride going through the turn stations and down to All-Stars between the two parks, which is potentially long enough to discourage use.

I also don't think they'd build any expansion if it didn't connect to a new resort.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Current total length of the Skyliner us ~2.7 miles and includes five stations. If you made the odd turn on the Skyliner in the Boardwalk parking lot into a new station and you continued the SKyliner rout to be along E. Buena Vista Dr, it would be about 1.1 miles to Coronado (depending on where they add the station), another 0.5 miles to Blizzard Beach (the next logical stop), and another 1.0 miles to AK (assuming they cut through the woods and build a station near the entrance). They likely would want to add at least one more hotel if they were going that route and a station at Animal Kingdom Lodge would make sense. Total length of such a new route would be ~3.5 miles (or about 33% bigger than the original project) and would add four stations (5 if they would make it an accessible station at Boardwalk). In essence, going to AK would more or less double the size of the SKyLiner if they went through with it.

correcaminos

This isn't new though... they were making people share last year even. Only way around it is if it is slow and no line. Hate that but have issues with the gondolas to begin with lol

LittleBuford

I’m a little surprised by the expectation of privacy that many are voicing here. To my mind, getting a space to oneself is a rare treat rather than the norm in a setting such as WDW. Maybe it’s because I’ve done a few solo trips, but I’m used to being placed with strangers in ride vehicles and even during meals (I’ve twice been the backseat driver at the Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater). During my last solo trip (pre-pandemic), I got to ride the gondolas a few times and was, if I recall correctly, always placed with others. People seldom make small talk with you unless you indicate that you’re looking to chat, which I wasn’t, so they didn’t.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom