Great news about skyliner....good bye to an annoyance..

LittleBuford

No. I don't. I rent a car and typically take that to get to the parks. However, I plan on using Early Entry for HS and Ep. My ONLY option from Pop Century is the Skyliner. Using a car prevents me from getting to the gates of the park due to the Entry Booth CM's refusal to allow ANY cars through until it is almost too late and Disney has decided that the Skyliner will be our ONLY option for those two parks. So no, I do not have to ride the other modes of transportation. ;)
You've presumably had to share various ride vehicles with other guests, though. Maybe you can think of the Skyliner as an attraction if that helps make the prospect of sharing less unpleasant.

TalkingHead

PS: - I heard a rumor the other day that for Philharmagic they will not only make you stand inside next to someone while waiting to go in to the theater, but when you are in the theater you will actually be sharing the space with others, in close proximity - for 20 minutes!!!
Yeah, and you saw how that turned out. Taking bets on how long before there’s a gondola skirmish. It’ll be like the From Russia with Love train cabin fight with Mickey ears.

solidyne

What's the difference? You have to ride the buses, monorails, and boats with other people
Maybe the difference is that in the cases of buses and boats there is a driver, a sort of third party, someone "in control." Maybe, psychologically, for some, it is reassuring to know that there is some (presumably) trustworthy person visibly "in charge," which reduces the feeling of threat from strangers. I dunno.

There definitely is a difference, though. I'll get into a gondola with strangers, sure, but it can be super awkward, like an extended elevator trip.

The monorail sorta blows my theory, though, because that is not nearly as awkward. Maybe because its space is larger?

I had no problem commuting on packed NYC subways years ago, so I don't know why gondolas are different. They just are. Maybe it is the intimacy of the small place combined with the isolation of being far away up in the air.

UNCgolf

You've presumably had to share various ride vehicles with other guests, though. Maybe you can think of the Skyliner as an attraction if that helps make the prospect of sharing less unpleasant.

I think there's a fundamental difference between the gondolas and something like buses. The gondolas are small and you sit face to face; it's a more intimate form of transport -- people are far more likely to start up conversations in a small group scenario like that than they are on a packed form of mass transit. That can be a problem for introverts, people with social anxiety, etc.

That's not to say Disney should absolutely allow solo riders or couples to take an entire gondola to themselves when there's a long line; I understand not doing so for efficiency reasons. But I do think it's a very different scenario than a bus in terms of the issues people have brought up.

G00fyDad

I'll be quite honest, and I'm not BSing here, I honestly cannot remember the last time I had to ride with someone else other than my family. I'm sure I'll probably have at some point but I honestly cannot remember when.

If you want to talk about uncomfortable then try this scenario. We took a trip to St Louis one year and we rode to the top of the Arch. If you've never been in that elevator heading to the top of the arch then let me enlighten you. That stupid thing is shaped like a ham container on the inside and outside. The roof curves over to a point at the top and it is so tight and cramped inside the elevator that it will only fit five people in tiny seats. I am 300 lb and 6 ft 4. It wasn't an easy fit even getting through the door of that thing. And I'm all about not touching people. I don't like people touching me and I don't like to touch other people. At least not in a rubbing my knee or leg against them while I'm sitting next to them sort of thing. And here I am sitting in the backseat in this ham container and the operator loads in two of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen in my life. 😬 So sitting in this elevator is my wife and son on the two seats to the left, my big rear end in the middle seat on the back wall and then these two women in the seats to my right. I had to ride up that slow elevator to the top of the arch pressing my leg away from these girls so I wouldn't seem as if I were trying to "molest them" or something. LOL It was absolutely excruciating. On the way down I explained what happened on the way up to the person at the top of the elevator and they allowed us to ride the elevator down by ourselves. That was a lot more comfortable.

I really don't like riding vehicles with other people. ☹️

G00fyDad

I think there's a fundamental difference between the gondolas and something like buses. The gondolas are small and you sit face to face; it's a more intimate form of transport -- people are far more likely to start up conversations in a small group scenario like that than they are on a packed form of mass transit. That can be a problem for introverts etc.

That's not to say Disney should absolutely allow solo riders or couples to take an entire gondola to themselves when there's a long line; I understand not doing so for efficiency reasons. But I do think it's a very different scenario from a bus.
Right there! I'm an introvert too. Having to quarantine for COVID-19 was sort of a blessing for me. I can talk to you all on these forums because it's simply typing into a computer or my cell phone. When I'm out in public I don't want to talk to people. I especially hate it when people take one look at me and immediately strike up a conversation as if we've been buddies our entire lives. I don't know them, I don't want to know them, and I'm not going to know them. It is highly uncomfortable.

disneyfireman

Original Poster
What's the difference? You have to ride the buses, monorails, and boats with other people
I wasnt complaining...I support this. Its silly when people ask to be alone...Especially when they use covid as an excuse...and then EVERYTHING else is packed...Everything. The gondolas are no different.

Goofyernmost

I think there's a fundamental difference between the gondolas and something like buses. The gondolas are small and you sit face to face; it's a more intimate form of transport -- people are far more likely to start up conversations in a small group scenario like that than they are on a packed form of mass transit. That can be a problem for introverts, people with social anxiety, etc.

That's not to say Disney should absolutely allow solo riders or couples to take an entire gondola to themselves when there's a long line; I understand not doing so for efficiency reasons. But I do think it's a very different scenario than a bus in terms of the issues people have brought up.
Generally on the bus longer though.

gorillaball

Right there! I'm an introvert too. Having to quarantine for COVID-19 was sort of a blessing for me. I can talk to you all on these forums because it's simply typing into a computer or my cell phone. When I'm out in public I don't want to talk to people. I especially hate it when people take one look at me and immediately strike up a conversation as if we've been buddies our entire lives. I don't know them, I don't want to know them, and I'm not going to know them. It is highly uncomfortable.
Also an introvert. I look outside or talk quietly to who I am with. Sometimes I just have to get over myself and live with it, the world is not designed to cater to everyone’s personal preferences. If it were, back to my desire for FoP lines under 20 min and busses ever 10 min w ample seating etc...

G00fyDad

Also an introvert. I look outside or talk quietly to who I am with. Sometimes I just have to get over myself and live with it, the world is not designed to cater to everyone’s personal preferences. If it were, back to my desire for FoP lines under 20 min and busses ever 10 min w ample seating etc...
Please don't misunderstand my original post on this. If they stick someone else in the vehicle with us then so be it. I'm just not going to like it but I can learn to live with that. LOL 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom