Great news about skyliner....good bye to an annoyance..

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I could see them adding a line from AKL to AK.
That's only a mile distance. Skyliners are susceptible to closing in bad weather, which means having to have plenty of busses on standby, which means you still have to invest in bus infrastructure.

A walking path would be better.

A light rail between the two would be much better.

Skyliners are for point to point in which there are very large numbers consistently using the service over terrain that light rail or an elevated light rail wouldn't work so well.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Skyliner facts:

As mentioned above, they run at 11.2 mph (5 meters/second).

At a turn station, the cabin detaches from the rope (which continues to run at 5 mps) and is pushed through by wheels for 45 meters (~14 feet) at about about 2 meters/sec ( ~ 4 mph).

This means it takes ~25 seconds to transverse a turn station.​
If you took that turn station at full speed, the cabin would swing wildly to the side, but, you'd be through it in only 9 seconds!​
So, a turn station adds about 15 seconds to the trip.​

Now, a turn station which is also a load station like at Riviera -- which is a very bad idea since there is no extra loop for people who need extra time -- takes 2 1/2 minutes (150 seconds) instead of the 15 seconds if it was at full speed. So, that's an extra 135 seconds for a boarding/turn station.

If the turning station at boardwalk was converted into a hub, the time to go from there to AKL in a straight line, which is 3,500 meters is 701 seconds (almost 12 minutes).

A straight run from MK's bus station to Coronado is 5,800 meters. That's 1,160 seconds, or over 19 minutes.

A straight run from AKL to DAK would be just over 4 minutes. A light rail between the two at 30 mph would be just under 2 minutes.

Goofyernmost

The terrain for the existing skyliner would work well for light rail so that point doesn’t apply.
Light rail doesn't have the capacity of a gondola that is non-stop with modules every few feet. I don't know why they didn't try that sooner. I think it is a fun combo between utility transportation and attraction. Since it is the same basic concept as an omni-mover I'm surprised that it wasn't put in place ages ago.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Light rail doesn't have the capacity of a gondola that is non-stop with modules every few feet. I don't know why they didn't try that sooner. I think it is a fun combo between utility transportation and attraction. Since it is the same basic concept as an omni-mover I'm surprised that it wasn't put in place ages ago.
That's really the benefit of something like Skyliner over light rail.

Of course they can build a giant people mover.

UNCgolf

That's really the benefit of something like Skyliner over light rail.

Of course they can build a giant people mover.

It's not necessarily a benefit over a light rail since the Skyliner is so much slower (and because the Skyliner can only travel in a straight line, which exacerbates the problem). A light rail with sufficient capacity would likely still move more people to their destination faster than the Skyliner.

JoeCamel

Seems if they built these they could get people where ever in a reasonable amount of time. We all know or should that the cost far exceeds what the mouse would do so it's all blue sky.
Thanks to @Lift Blog
@MisterPenguin you want to plug in 8.5m/s to see what the times would be?

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Seems if they built these they could get people where ever in a reasonable amount of time. We all know or should that the cost far exceeds what the mouse would do so it's all blue sky.
Thanks to @Liftblog but that isnt his username, wish I knew he is the expert on this

Remember....

There's a space in @Lift Blog

;)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Thanks to @Lift Blog
26,000 feet = 8000 meters
5 miles = 8 klicks​

28 ft/s = 19 mph
8.5 m/s = 30 kph​

16 minutes to travel

CntrlFlPete

geez, I still recall when they would seat you in a stranger's lap on Space Mountain -- my family of three have on been on the skyliner twice, it was when there was a mask mandate on all Disney Transportation (save the ferry) and both times we shared the ride with another couple -- unless they start a standing room policy to stuff the gondolas completely full, I just do not perceive a change.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Calling people nuts is certainly uncalled for. It really isn't a lack of empathy from others it is more an expected accommodation for someone with a problem like that. Years ago I worked for a school system and a family had a child that was deathly allergic to peanut products. It was more then just serving food that had a peanut connection, it was so severe that the child couldn't even be close to another child had even eaten something connected to peanuts. I mean even if peanuts were on the breath of another child it could be fatal.

Everyone had empathy and felt bad for anyone child or adult with that affliction, but they were insisting that the entire school building and every other child in the elementary school not eat or touch or even be near peanut products. It was ruled to be unrealistic accommodations. How could the school be able to control the children and their families outside the school building itself. Sometimes people just expect to much accommodation then is realistically possible. So for people to expect that paths can be cleared like Moses parting the red sea to make it comfortable for people with issues of closeness to others when in a theme park filled with people it is unreasonable to expect. If they are expecting an unusual degree of cooperation from everyone else then a very popular theme park is probably not the best place for that person unless they are attempting to work their way through the problem.

How is asking for your party to have their own car “expecting an unusual degree of cooperation from everyone else”?

While I don’t have any issue sharing a skyliner car with anyone, reading through this thread makes it clear that many people do and for various reasons. To flippantly accuse anyone upset at the idea of it of being an actual burden to the rest of the park goers is ridiculous.

Nubs70

?? That makes no sense. Just chat with other people. I just got back. Talked to us Americans. Brits. Scots and a couple from Argentina….
Exactly, you never know where a conversation can lead. Sharing of available seats is, and has been, how lifts at ski resorts operate.

About 5 years out of college, a high school friend of mine was riding single and rode up with a marketing executive. They struck up a conversation. That conversation led to the creation of an internet marketing/engagement firm of which said friend is CEO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom