Great news about skyliner....good bye to an annoyance..

UNCgolf

Certainly everyone is entitled to like or dislike what they want. Personally I think the Skyliner is one of the most awesome additions to WDW in decades and a huge enhancement. Maybe it’s the newness but I’d rather ride the Skyliner than any other form of transportation at WDW.

So I think some of the pushback might be from people who like the addition and wound even like to see more - or at least other different transportation options - and when people say they prefer taking the bus there is a concern that Disney will take that feedback and not bother to innovate or do anything new. And regardless if one likes the Skyliner per se I think we could all agree that Disney actually invest more in the resort.

They're unlikely to expand the Skyliner very much regardless of guest feedback because it has operational issues -- can't run during thunderstorms (which is obviously a major problem in Florida) and too slow for longer distances being the major two. It's really only useful for relatively short distances. It's possible they could do a couple of small expansions, but it'll never be feasible for resort wide transit -- jut as an example, a Skyliner trip from AKL to Magic Kingdom could easily take an hour.

They'd have to keep basically the same bus fleet to use during storms etc. even if the Skyliner went everywhere, so it's also probably not the best investment for them.

I would love to see them build a more efficient form of mass transit to connect the resorts and parks, though.

disneyfireman

Original Poster
They're unlikely to expand the Skyliner very much regardless of guest feedback because it has operational issues -- can't run during thunderstorms and too slow for longer distances being the major two. It's really only useful for relatively short distances. It's possible they could do a couple of small expansions, but it'll never be feasible for resort wide transit -- jut as an example, a Skyliner trip from AKL to Magic Kingdom could easily take an hour.

I would love to see them build a more efficient form of mass transit to connect the resorts and parks, though.
agreed...the skyliner is painfully slow...wish it could go twice as fast...I love it...just slow.

tanc

I didn't like the skyliner. I found it way too inconsistent with transportation speed. Maybe it's better now since there's more people, but in August 2020 it was rough to work with.

UNCgolf

More likely than new Skyliner lines, one of these two is much more likely:

I would love if they built a light rail system connecting all the parks and resorts.

I don't think there's much chance of that, though. Maybe they'll at least build some smaller ones to connect AKL to AK, and Disney Springs to some of the nearby resorts.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would love if they built a light rail system connecting all the parks and resorts.

I don't think there's much chance of that, though. Maybe they'll at least build some smaller ones to connect AKL to AK, and Disney Springs to some of the nearby resorts.
Something like that was rumored by our Trusted Insider as on the table a few years ago. The final form was yet to be decided. Also at the time there was hype for advances in self-driving vehicles, but that seems to still be a bit away in the future.

Anyway, the likely plan was all about dedicated roads/rails that didn't have to mingle with or stop for traffic.

I wouldn't mind a train making a route that has several stops if it could eat 300 people at once and quick-load wheel chairs and ECVs.

doctornick

agreed...the skyliner is painfully slow...wish it could go twice as fast...I love it...just slow.
Really? Never felt that way to me. With the constant loading and movement, at least psychologically it felt quite brisk to me. We loved using it between Epcot and DHS. While the boats can be faster it’s somewhat hit and miss as to when the arrive.

The thing that always felt “slow” to me among WDW transportation was the boats pulling into the dock where your right there and then it feels like time screeches to a halt as they take a while to get secured.

dreday3

Really? Never felt that way to me. With the constant loading and movement, at least psychologically it felt quite brisk to me. We loved using it between Epcot and DHS. While the boats can be faster it’s somewhat hit and miss as to when the arrive.

The thing that always felt “slow” to me among WDW transportation was the boats pulling into the dock where your right there and then it feels like time screeches to a halt as they take a while to get secured.

Boats are my favorite mode of transport.
So calm, peaceful, love the breeze, sound of the motor.
Just being on the water. Wish they could build waterways through entire complex.

That said, Skyliner is fun with being slightly terrifying!

doctornick

Something like that was rumored by our Trusted Insider as on the table a few years ago. The final form was yet to be decided. Also at the time there was hype for advances in self-driving vehicles, but that seems to still be a bit away in the future.

Anyway, the likely plan was all about dedicated roads/rails that didn't have to mingle with or stop for traffic.

I wouldn't mind a train making a route that has several stops if it could eat 300 people at once and quick-load wheel chairs and ECVs.
I’m under no misconception about the viability of Skyliner for the whole resort - it’s not practical for longer distances - but think it could work in smaller areas like the AKL/DAK/Blizzard/Coronado or maybe among OKW/Typhoon/SSR/Disney Springs.

That being said, I’m actually a fan of different types of transit being used. making different areas of the resort more distinct. I wouldn’t mind seeing a light rail system added for part of the resort especially since some modern ones are very sleek looking.

maxairmike

I have to talk to strangers all day at work, sometimes I just want quiet.

1000% yes. And also, I just hate small talk with strangers, or talking with strangers in general. I just want the views and quiet in the Skyliner, and generally I prefer that even when I'm with people I know. I dread it when I notice someone asking questions or making chit chat with others around me on a bus/monorail/wherever, because I want no part in it.

Lilofan

1000% yes. And also, I just hate small talk with strangers, or talking with strangers in general. I just want the views and quiet in the Skyliner, and generally I prefer that even when I'm with people I know. I dread it when I notice someone asking questions or making chit chat with others around me on a bus/monorail/wherever, because I want no part in it.
If someone makes chit chat with others, nearby, you dread? Life is too short. Have a good one and be safe.

Goofyernmost

That will only be for opening and closing (mostly closing). I wouldn't make any sense to cram 6 people in them and then leave a bunch of them empty. I can see the need at park closing. It isn't going to save anytime generally because they will just run into problems with slow boarding and unloading. They can't randomly take gondolas off the line without a whole lot of planning.

maxairmike

If someone makes chit chat with others, nearby, you dread? Life is too short. Have a good one and be safe.

Yes, because I know they'll typically make it around to bringing me in on whatever they're talking about. I'm awkward enough as it is without someone trying to talk to me when I don't want any attention and to just get where I'm going. It makes me nervous/anxious, which is why I'm quite content driving around property usually, just myself and my music for a few minutes.

Patcheslee

I barely manage to make small talk with my parents or inlaws when they come by. Luckily I have a chatty 13yo who wear someone out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom