Grand Floridian Resort restaurants, shops and courtyard pool to close for refurbishment this year

WDW1974

DVC is going to ruin Grand Floridian so badly. What used to be an upscale quite resort that was more adult oriented is going to be overrun by a more shall we say "low brow" crowd.

Yes. Just like it has at every other deluxe resort at WDW. ... Was WDW a much classier place in 1992? Damn straight.

RSoxNo1

Yes. Just like it has at every other deluxe resort at WDW. ... Was WDW a much classier place in 1992? Damn straight.
That must be why they wait so long to acknowledge that they exist. Had Grand Floridian DVC even been officially announced?

psukardi

Seriously!?! A little sterotypical, no!?!

How are the "low brow" and poor affording DVC? Can you explain it to me again...

Not trying to speak for the OP that wrote about the unwashed masses walking around certain DVC places; however, it's quite possible if the stars align that you'll get a DVC person selling/renting out points below market value. This results in a group of people staying at a deluxe at a slightly higher price than a "value" if market conditions are right.

Whether or not I want to see Denim Dan walking around the Boardwalk in his members only jacket and bowl-cut is beyond the scope of this post.

NewfieFan

Not trying to speak for the OP that wrote about the unwashed masses walking around certain DVC places; however, it's quite possible if the stars align that you'll get a DVC person selling/renting out points below market value. This results in a group of people staying at a deluxe at a slightly higher price than a "value" if market conditions are right.

Whether or not I want to see Denim Dan walking around the Boardwalk in his members only jacket and bowl-cut is beyond the scope of this post.

Didn't know that was happening. I bought points and transfered them to my acct. once and it certainly wasn't cheap. Cheaper than using a dvc resale/renting site but certainly not cheap. And there's such a huge risk involved as well because you act on good faith that the transaction will go through (for people on both ends). I can't imagine that there's a lot of that happening... not enough to change the "demographics" of the dvc and deluxe resorts.

I still find the comment insulting and hugely unfair to those that own and buy into DVC. I (We) did a lot of research before we bought DVC. It was a big decision and one we certainly didn't take lightly. I'm fortunate to be in a financial position that I can afford such things but it was still a huge deal. For us it works but not for everyone. And it wasn't until we did our research that we found DVC worked for us.

Calling folks who own DVC "low brow", not wealthy or intelligent is a strong statement to make. For what it's worth, we stayed at all levels of resorts (mutiple times) but since buying DVC we've noticed a big difference at the DVC resorts. And let me start by saying, I'm not putting down those that stay in cheaper resorts or suggest they're not same class of people. I just spent a night at AoA and liked it very much! But the atmosphere is quite different at a DVC resort. Folks seem more relaxed, more like they're on vacation. No one rushes through the lobby, no one tries to be the first on the bus, there's always someone to strict up a conversation with, our kids have even made friends that they've kept in contact with, etc. It certainly has a different atmosphere. I'm not saying it's a better one but it's one we enjoy. Maybe it's because most DVC members are regular guests and don't feel the need to do and see everything. I like the relaxed atmosphere and feel I have more in common with those around me.

(And as to the intelligent part... my husband has more letters after his name than all the letters in his name! ;) )

71jason

Bumping for a quick update...

As of this past Sunday, "Gasparillas at Mizners" (the temporary snack bar) is only open from 7 am to midnight. The only late night food options left until December are room service or the 5 minute walk to Capt. Cooks.

kane47

Anybody know enough about pool-builds to know guess what they are doing here with all of that sand? Filling in a deep-end and then overlaying it with a new bottom? Anyone have any insight into how accurate the "late December" reopening of the pool is?

They are ruining it for anybody who enjoys actually swimming. I wrote to Disney inquiring about the rehab. I was told to expect something close to what was done at the Poly. (I am assuming the quiet pool which was made more shallow). It is a shame. I understand Disney caters to families and children, but many people actually enjoy being able to do more than just wade in a pool. This is my favorite resort, but it loses it only swimmable pool I won't be back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom