Grand Floridian Resort restaurants, shops and courtyard pool to close for refurbishment this year

rudyjr13

Just say the Courtyard pool rehab was extended. Anyone know why or what going on? Any new pictures?

I'd like to know if they have even worked on it in the past month? Left on 11/10 and they had not done a thing to it the week we were there. That right there can delay it. The Imagineer I talked to said there was an issue with the water jets.

awesomeinabox

Just got this letter in the mail today dated November 2012, I am staying there in January. Thought you guys might enjoy it. I'd post a pic but it looks blurry so here is the text. If you still want a pic let me know and I will get one when I go back to work.
---
November 2012

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Guest,

We are delighted you chose the Walt Disney World Resort as your vacation desdination.

In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of our facilities and offerings, please pardon our appearance during your upcoming visit. While some locations are being refreshed for your future enjoyment, we have arranged for alternate options in order to ensure that you have a truly grand experience.

Our Courtyard Pool will be undergoing some exciting changes, including a new zero-entry slope, and is scheduled to reopen Spring 2013. The Beach Pool and slide will remain open for your relaxation and recreational enjoyment. We are also celebrating the grand opening of our water activity area located next to the Beach Pool.

Thank you and we look forward to your upcoming stay. If you have any questions regarding your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation.

Sincerely,
Norm Noble
General Manager, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

---

kane47

Just got this letter in the mail today dated November 2012, I am staying there in January. Thought you guys might enjoy it. I'd post a pic but it looks blurry so here is the text. If you still want a pic let me know and I will get one when I go back to work.
---
November 2012

Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa Guest,

We are delighted you chose the Walt Disney World Resort as your vacation desdination.

In an ongoing effort to improve the quality of our facilities and offerings, please pardon our appearance during your upcoming visit. While some locations are being refreshed for your future enjoyment, we have arranged for alternate options in order to ensure that you have a truly grand experience.

Our Courtyard Pool will be undergoing some exciting changes, including a new zero-entry slope, and is scheduled to reopen Spring 2013. The Beach Pool and slide will remain open for your relaxation and recreational enjoyment. We are also celebrating the grand opening of our water activity area located next to the Beach Pool.

Thank you and we look forward to your upcoming stay. If you have any questions regarding your reservation, please contact your original booking agent listed on your confirmation.

Sincerely,
Norm Noble
General Manager, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

---
Thank for the update

awesomeinabox

@kane47 So I called the front desk yesterday and asked if the beach pool would be 24/hrs like the courtyard pool would be (We are all adults and enjoy swimming at night). The response I received was that the beach pool is technically open until 11, however, that's just when the lifeguards leave and if you are ok with swimming sans lifeguard you can swim at all hours.
Also, the Poly pool will still be accepting guests from GF during the reno. They have no listed date as to when the courtyard pool will reopen the nice front desk agent told me Spring 2013 was the tentative date now, but as that gets closer you can call and they may have a for sure date.

kane47

@kane47 So I called the front desk yesterday and asked if the beach pool would be 24/hrs like the courtyard pool would be (We are all adults and enjoy swimming at night). The response I received was that the beach pool is technically open until 11, however, that's just when the lifeguards leave and if you are ok with swimming sans lifeguard you can swim at all hours.
Also, the Poly pool will still be accepting guests from GF during the reno. They have no listed date as to when the courtyard pool will reopen the nice front desk agent told me Spring 2013 was the tentative date now, but as that gets closer you can call and they may have a for sure date.[/q
Also, the Poly pool will still be accepting guests from GF during the reno. They have no listed date as to when the courtyard pool will reopen the nice front desk agent told me Spring 2013 was the tentative date now, but as that gets closer you can call and they may have a for sure date.

Thanks

71jason

Pics, reviews? C'mon Steve, we'd rather read about it here than one of those lesser fanboi sites... ;)

Gasparilla largely the same, other than the video games are gone, replaced with more tables/booths. Also, they now give you a number and deliver the food to your table, no more beepers. Menu looked largely the same with a few tweaks--I think the cheesesteak I had was new, it was very good as Florida cheesesteaks go. They didn't reinvent the wheel here, it's basically a larger, slightly quieter version of the old place, with reupholstered booths.

kane47

Thanks for the update. Do you happen to have any pictures? Did you happen to hear where the games are going to go? Do you see anything happening with the courtyard pool?
Gasparilla largely the same, other than the video games are gone, replaced with more tables/booths. Also, they now give you a number and deliver the food to your table, no more beepers. Menu looked largely the same with a few tweaks--I think the cheesesteak I had was new, it was very good as Florida cheesesteaks go. They didn't reinvent the wheel here, it's basically a larger, slightly quieter version of the old place, with reupholstered booths.

COProgressFan

Sounds like an improvement. The video games were the worst part of that place. On top of that, the place was getting a bit rough around the edges, so its nice to hear there is new seating, etc.

Bringing food to your table sounds like a nice touch as well.

kane47

Did the new Gasparillas take over the Mickey Mouse Club area? Or did they just update the MMC as well? Is it reopened? Sorry for the million GF questions. Just a big fan and want to know if the GF will continue to have the amenities I have come to enjoy.

71jason

Did the new Gasparillas take over the Mickey Mouse Club area? Or did they just update the MMC as well? Is it reopened? Sorry for the million GF questions. Just a big fan and want to know if the GF will continue to have the amenities I have come to enjoy.

Yes, at least part of it, now stretches "back" (to the right?) further. Didn't take any pictures--was just grabbing a quick bite on my way to the bar--but I'll try to if i end up back there this weekend, tho again, doesn't look all that different, just longer. I heard where the games are going, and promptly forgot--they were being moved, tho. I'll ask next time I'm in. Haven't seen anything with the courtyard pool yet, but haven't been in over a week.

71jason

Everyone who booked a vacation at GF for 2013 just got hosed.

Might be beyond that. Not sure the relatively minimal new infrastructure is sufficient to support 200 new villas likely to be occupied every night. Surprised the new DVC doesn't seem to have its own anything--pool, restaurant, bar...

kane47

Might be beyond that. Not sure the relatively minimal new infrastructure is sufficient to support 200 new villas likely to be occupied every night. Surprised the new DVC doesn't seem to have its own anything--pool, restaurant, bar...
I am as well. Especially with the decision to basically shrink the courtyard pool with zero entry. Hundreds of new guest and reduced swimming area is going to lead to very crowded and unconformable pool areas. I know they had little room in the area they place the DVC but did they even think of this problem?
This is just a thought, but maybe they have a joint swimming area in mind when they eventually build the Poly DVC. If it is on the same stretch of shore as the GF DVC then maybe they could have a large swimming area in between to service both DVC resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom