Grand Floridian Resort restaurants, shops and courtyard pool to close for refurbishment this year

CaptainShortty

If CM means cast member, you'd be wrong. I'm not sure if it was due to being Florida Resident, Passholder or Military; but we could get 40% off any deluxe and 35% on a moderate, I think.

Ah ok, must have been a deal of some sort. I guessed Cast Member because we get somewhere between 40-60% off depending on the time of year, resort and if the CM is staying in the room or not. Glad you got the discount either way though! It's a great deal!

dnscbus

My wife and I discussed our options at length and figure we'll stick it out. This is probably the lest prepared we have ever been for a Disney trip. I can't get Dining reservations where I want or when I want either. But our first trip was fantastic and we had no idea what we were doing or what to expect!

In a way, not to sound like a jerk, but I kind of hope alot of people do cancel their reservations; then we'll have the resort all to ourselves. So be outraged and call up Disney. I hear there is lots of space at Wilderness Lodge and the Yatch/Beach Club.;)

jlsHouston

Interesting, as I find Gasparilla's to be one of the worst counter serve resort locations. Limited food selections, poor service, and its kind of grimy and worn in there. Not to mention the obnoxious/annoying video games.

but what about the lobster mac & cheese is it served 24 hours or only at lunch or dinner?? I just caught this menu item in this thread and I NEED to put this dish on my list to try while on my wdw trip end of month ?

tirian

The roo
This is probably our last trip since the Navy is going to transfer us sometime in the fall to who knows where. So I can't really wait for next time to try this resort. Have you stayed at the Floridian? Did you like it? Can you compare it to the Yacht Club?
The rooms at the Contemporary are the most consistently updated on property, and the resort is my personal favorite for location, quick service food, and amenities.

I've stayed at the Grand and Poly many times with relatives who wanted the experience, and I've never been impressed with the Grand. The rooms are surprisingly small and none of them have a good view of the lagoon or MK. I can't tell you how many times I've paid for "park view," only to stare at a tree. Gasparilla Games is tiny and outdated and the club lounge is one of the least impressive on property.

I love the Poly, the Contemporary, and Wilderness Lodge. Give the Contemporary a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! :)

Tip: for an old-school Disney feel, try to get a Bay Lake view in the main tower. The MK side faces a parking lot and the back of Tomorrowland, but the Bay Lake side faces a gorgeous view of natural WDW property. It's a great way to unwind from the parks.

Mike730

Well anyone who moves over to the Polynesian next year could be in for a surprise. Work on the hot tub and new rooms will start the end of this year and into next. Doing the rooms will mean whole longhouses are walled off for a month or two at a time. Club level will be unavailable (other than suites) January and February and maybe part of march. The GCH will be redone in stages and I am guessing that might start next year. I hear some major work on the volcano pool might happen next year and close it for months. The first phase of DVC will start at some point maybe 2014 or 2015.

Calling reservations is not a good way to get info on anything. Most of the time they are not told of the construction until the day it begins. Also they are not going to make it sound like it’s a big deal because they want you to book rooms.

Wait a minute, are you saying you know of plans to bring DVC to the Poly?
Did I miss something?

COProgressFan

Wait a minute, are you saying you know of plans to bring DVC to the Poly?
Did I miss something?
Yes I do know.

Tikiman knows his stuff. Plus, I think it's kind of open secret they are looking into this, given the recent test balloons spotted, etc.

It really isn't very surprising given how DVC is the only thing they are willing to spend money on these days and the Poly is a prime location for it.

Mike730

Tikiman knows his stuff. Plus, I think it's kind of open secret they are looking into this, given the recent test balloons spotted, etc.

It really isn't very surprising given how DVC is the only thing they are willing to spend money on these days and the Poly is a prime location for it.
Precisely. I think we all assumed it was inevitable and probably next, I just never heard anyone specifically confirm it. Now we play the waiting game.

Gabrielle123

We are booked for the GF August 19th-23rd. We were told that the Spa would be closed *which we all knew* and that the Pool Bar is closed as well and the Sandy Cove sundry. Supposedly the courtyard pool and Gasparilla's will close on the 24th. We tried booking at the Contemporary, but at that time only Suites are available. $7500 to boot! Not a Poly fan and a friend went recently and said a palmetto bug was in there room!!!! Had that experience when the Contemporary North Wing was open.....don't want to experience that again either!

I will post here when I get back from the GF, maybe even during if I notice that was the CM's said were all LIES! I hope not... :(

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
We are booked for the GF August 19th-23rd. We were told that the Spa would be closed *which we all knew* and that the Pool Bar is closed as well and the Sandy Cove sundry. Supposedly the courtyard pool and Gasparilla's will close on the 24th. We tried booking at the Contemporary, but at that time only Suites are available. $7500 to boot! Not a Poly fan and a friend went recently and said a palmetto bug was in there room!!!! Had that experience when the Contemporary North Wing was open.....don't want to experience that again either!

I will post here when I get back from the GF, maybe even during if I notice that was the CM's said were all LIES! I hope not... :(
That info is correct.

On the Palmetto bug - these things happen, and in nearly all cases, they just walk through the door as someone goes in or out. It is Florida, there are billions of bugs, and these things happen. Don't think that the Poly has some kind of insect infestation issue in the rooms.

Mrsdonaldduck

We will be at gf the same time as you the courtyatd Pool and gasparilla will be closing halfway through our stay
I know wdw needs to make improvements
It just would have been nice to have
Been notified by wdw of the upcoming
Closures rather than hearing about
Them first on twitter. I was
Quite disappointed by the lack of communication
From Disney regarding these major closures

rudyjr13

Got a letter today explaining the closures during our November stay. At least I have the official word now. They did reassure that the beach pool bar will have a grill after opening from its rehab. Also grab and go items at the lounge as others have confirmed. We are keeping our reservation.

rudyjr13

In another thread someone posted that Gaspirilla was postponed until January.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I asked the agent I was talking to yesterday on the phone as I made a change to my reservation and she said it was still closing on the original schedule discussed here. It is also on the reservation website still.

sydneymorganmom

We booked our GF for the second week of December. We booked before we left last January and received a letter in July stating all of the closures that were coming up. I'd say that was plenty of notice and am happy that they did that. They certainly didn't have to do so! It seems that like everything else, it's what you make of it. I feel that Disney always tries to do things at the best time and make other options available. After all, some things can't be done overnight while we're all sleeping ;)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
In another thread someone posted that Gaspirilla was postponed until January.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

I asked the agent I was talking to yesterday on the phone as I made a change to my reservation and she said it was still closing on the original schedule discussed here. It is also on the reservation website still.
I still have Dec 18 as the reopen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom