Grand Floridian Resort restaurants, shops and courtyard pool to close for refurbishment this year

Gabrielle123

The Grand Floridian, no matter the rehabs, is still the BEST place to stay!!!! Honestly, there wasn't much "interference" with the rehabs. We stayed at the Sugar Loaf and marvelled at how quiet it was as opposed to other "in the park" resorts. Gaspirilla's could use a make-over. But I am curious as to which restaurant will give you snacks and counter-service. Seems the Grand Floridian Cafe and Gaspirilla's share the same kitchen, so honestly that's a plus anyway. I heard that the rock pool is also getting a water park-ish theme to it, so that will be fun to see next time. And as for Sandy Cove, the store upstairs now has everything in the interim and is more convenient once you get off the monorail and need to get "stuff" prior to entering your room!

We made this a very special vacation and did conceirge at the Sugar Loaf. The cast members there were unbelieveable! From the moment you met them, they knew your name and made sure you had everything you needed. I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge conceirge, and they lock up the place. Here is open almost 24/7.. *at least it feels like it* and you are treated like a friend. TJ the manager is amazing...then you have Emily, Mary, Jerry, Jordan, Ashgil (I think I spelled this wrong) and Marijane. My husband was up pretty early every day and by the 2nd day, the coffee was started a little earlier and TJ would sit and have conversations with him. This was at 6AM...Worth the money. I can't imagine staying anywhere else after this vacation.

captainkidd

The Grand Floridian, no matter the rehabs, is still the BEST place to stay!!!! Honestly, there wasn't much "interference" with the rehabs. We stayed at the Sugar Loaf and marvelled at how quiet it was as opposed to other "in the park" resorts. Gaspirilla's could use a make-over. But I am curious as to which restaurant will give you snacks and counter-service. Seems the Grand Floridian Cafe and Gaspirilla's share the same kitchen, so honestly that's a plus anyway. I heard that the rock pool is also getting a water park-ish theme to it, so that will be fun to see next time. And as for Sandy Cove, the store upstairs now has everything in the interim and is more convenient once you get off the monorail and need to get "stuff" prior to entering your room!

We made this a very special vacation and did conceirge at the Sugar Loaf. The cast members there were unbelieveable! From the moment you met them, they knew your name and made sure you had everything you needed. I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge conceirge, and they lock up the place. Here is open almost 24/7.. *at least it feels like it* and you are treated like a friend. TJ the manager is amazing...then you have Emily, Mary, Jerry, Jordan, Ashgil (I think I spelled this wrong) and Marijane. My husband was up pretty early every day and by the 2nd day, the coffee was started a little earlier and TJ would sit and have conversations with him. This was at 6AM...Worth the money. I can't imagine staying anywhere else after this vacation.

The CL at WL I agree, is a waste of money. The rooms at the GF are also nicer. But for me, everything else about the WL is better. Food, bus transportation, pools, front desk staff. It's all a matter of opinion.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I wish I was in a financial position for the news in this thread to affect me. ;)

In all seriousness -- It seems sudden and I would definitely be p.o'd if I was paying top dollar to stay in WDW's flagship hotel and had to deal with this while there.
However - what other choice do they have? The work has to get done and it's open year round. At the end of the day the people who stay at this resort regularly are going to be pleased once complete. Especially those that are going to be dropping down all that coin to become DVC members.

rudyjr13

"Reopen"? It hasn't closed yet. Was supposed to a week ago but postponed to sometime past Christmas.

I think you are the one that said this in the other thread. Can anyone else back this up? I'm assuming you have some inside knowledge???

captainkidd

I wish I was in a financial position for the news in this thread to affect me. ;)

In all seriousness -- It seems sudden and I would definitely be p.o'd if I was paying top dollar to stay in WDW's flagship hotel and had to deal with this while there.
However - what other choice do they have? The work has to get done and it's open year round. At the end of the day the people who stay at this resort regularly are going to be pleased once complete. Especially those that are going to be dropping down all that coin to become DVC members.

A couple years back while staying at the Wilderness Lodge, we arrived to find that all the hot tubs were being refurbed. We had no notice of it at all. I was pretty ticked off about it, and let them know. That was also the trip where we didn't have hot water for 3 days in our room.

Mrsdonaldduck

I agree! We just retuned from gf sugarloaf and it was just wonderful
Jerry was the best ; I miss that guy! I miss all of them! The service was exceptional this year they really went Above and beyond. And the hotel seemed so much quieter than past years (construction keeping folks away?)

COProgressFan

And the hotel seemed so much quieter than past years (construction keeping folks away?)

I think it might have more to do with the fact that the cheapest rack rate for a standard room at the quietest time of year is $460, when that room is probably worth $200. The unofficial word is that occupancy rates across the resort are low this year. There are a multitude of reasons for this, not the least of which is pricing.

I enjoy the GF, but like pricing at most deluxe resorts in the past several years, it has gotten outrageous. Even with the regularly offered "discounts".

alissafalco

I think it might have more to do with the fact that the cheapest rack rate for a standard room at the quietest time of year is $460, when that room is probably worth $200. The unofficial word is that occupancy rates across the resort are low this year. There are a multitude of reasons for this, not the least of which is pricing.

I enjoy the GF, but like pricing at most deluxe resorts in the past several years, it has gotten outrageous. Even with the regularly offered "discounts".

When are they going to learn?? Those rooms would be filled if they lowered their prices even just a little to make it a competitive price.

71jason

I think you are the one that said this in the other thread. Can anyone else back this up? I'm assuming you have some inside knowledge???

Yes, I have several friends who work at various establishments within the Grand (and I in fact ate at Gasparillas last week). Word is The Powers That Be feared the refurb might run over deadline, and the last thing they want is no bar and limited quick-serve food during the week between Christmas and NYE--12/18 was cutting it awful close.

I should stress the pool refurb is ongoing, walls were still up a couple days ago and you can see the AiW play area from the 2nd story balcony. I'm only talking about closing Gasparilla and opening a make-shift replacement in Mizners.

rudyjr13

Yes, I have several friends who work at various establishments within the Grand (and I in fact ate at Gasparillas last week). Word is The Powers That Be feared the refurb might run over deadline, and the last thing they want is no bar and limited quick-serve food during the week between Christmas and NYE--12/18 was cutting it awful close.

I should stress the pool refurb is ongoing, walls were still up a couple days ago and you can see the AiW play area from the 2nd story balcony. I'm only talking about closing Gasparilla and opening a make-shift replacement in Mizners.

Well THANK YOU for this. The play area should be open for Nov 2nd with the Beach pool. I know to expect the Courtyard pool to be closed but having Gaspirilla back is big for our family. I even requested a Sago Cay room to be closer based on your info and also further from DVC construction.

71jason

New update (unconfirmed)--decided to go forward with the refurb after all, begins Sunday (9/6), goes through 12/16. Which is less time than before, when they were worried they wouldn't finish in time. No other details yet, will see what I can find out tonight.

Mickey2minnie1

New update (unconfirmed)--decided to go forward with the refurb after all, begins Sunday (9/6), goes through 12/16. Which is less time than before, when they were worried they wouldn't finish in time. No other details yet, will see what I can find out tonight.

Keep us posted!

71jason

Got the scoop. Mizners Lounge closes tonight. Should open next weekend as the temporary "quick serve" spot, when Gaspirilla will shut down. Again claiming the newly refurbed Gasparilla and Mizners will re-open 12/18 or 12/19. However, I can't help but notice they were initially afraid there wouldn't be enough time to finish by Christmas--now thanks to flip-flopping they have a month less to get the job done. Expect construction into the late hours, if not 24/7.

In the meantime, Mizners will be open from 6 am - 2am (only room service in the late overnight hours). The new grill by the pool will be open until 11 pm (although my source was more hazy on that exact time). I haven't seen a formal menu for Mizners, but they will run at least some hot foods up from the downstairs kitchen.

Re: Gaspirilla. Video games being removed, arcade will be opened somewhere else, no one knows where. Also, the snack bar is taking over the Mickey Mouse Club area, the wall between will be knocked down to make one giant space.

WDW1974

Sounds like a MAGICal vacation. And you are very lucky in this economy to be able to afford that type.

Oh, and please don't take this the wrong way, but you would likely make a good blogger.

dave&di

Got the scoop. Mizners Lounge closes tonight. Should open next weekend as the temporary "quick serve" spot, when Gaspirilla will shut down. Again claiming the newly refurbed Gasparilla and Mizners will re-open 12/18 or 12/19. However, I can't help but notice they were initially afraid there wouldn't be enough time to finish by Christmas--now thanks to flip-flopping they have a month less to get the job done. Expect construction into the late hours, if not 24/7.

In the meantime, Mizners will be open from 6 am - 2am (only room service in the late overnight hours). The new grill by the pool will be open until 11 pm (although my source was more hazy on that exact time). I haven't seen a formal menu for Mizners, but they will run at least some hot foods up from the downstairs kitchen.

Re: Gaspirilla. Video games being removed, arcade will be opened somewhere else, no one knows where. Also, the snack bar is taking over the Mickey Mouse Club area, the wall between will be knocked down to make one giant space.
I thought Gasperillas was closing some time in August? We changed our reservation to the WL just because this would be closed for our stay 9/3 - 9/12 !!!!!!! :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom