Grammar Pet Peeves

DanStat

Original Poster
Who here has a "grammar" pet peeve?

I hate comma splices...who else likes appropriate grammar?

(Not on the boards of course, but in real life writing ;))

Yellow Shoes

Comma splices are annoying, but nothing compares to

inappropriate use of apostrophe

The rules just never seemed that vague or difficult.

To make it plural, add an "S". If it belongs to someone, add 's.

The worst was a joke sent via e-mail about KU basketball coach Roy Williams. It began, "Roy William's........"

Honestly, some people plunk an apostrophe down any time a word ends in "S".

DanStat

Original Poster
That drives me crazy too!

I sometimes froget how to show posession correctly. Especially if the name ends in 's'.

Maria

I´m gonna get yelled at for this one... but I think the way you write shows your education at some point.

I can´t stand seeing a manager or director, or someone with a high level in a company write with grammar mistakes. I was editor of a magazine at my previous job and could spot those very easily! My secretary learned very quickly to correct and find grammar mistakes before she had them printed. :animwink:

Erika

I see and hear a LOT of well-educated people making grammatical mistakes.

It really doesn't bother me unless the person making the mistakes is a pompous windbag. Then I feel it is appropriate to laugh and point.

Here is another pet peeve: Using the word Hindu like it's a race instead of a religion. :rolleyes: There is a man I know who calls every person from the Subcontinant a Hindu-Guy. He should know better, but he insists on doing it anyway.

I usually try to speak correctly unless I am in a very relaxed environment, or want a certain effect.

RobFL

Account Suspended
My brain goes faster than my fingers so i often make very serious mistakes without realizing it.. I leave out whole words.. What's worse? My mind fills in gaps in things i've written so I often never realize the words are missing...

-Rob

Erika

Originally posted by RobFL
My brain goes faster than my fingers so i often make very serious mistakes without realizing it.. I leave out whole words.. What's worse? My mind fills in gaps in things i've written so I often never realize the words are missing...

-Rob

Hey Rob

"I_ __ ca_ __ea_ it, __ ca_ __ _."
--Horizons, 2000

RobFL

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Erika

Hey Rob

"I_ __ ca_ __ea_ it, __ ca_ __ _."
--Horizons, 2000

Yeah, sometimes we jsut get ahead of ourselves in excitement and leave something really important out...

-Rob

kaos

Originally posted by Erika
I see and hear a LOT of well-educated people making grammatical mistakes.

It really doesn't bother me unless the person making the mistakes is a pompous windbag. Then I feel it is appropriate to laugh and point.

So where would President Bush fit in???

RoqueC17

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Maria
I´m gonna get yelled at for this one... but I think the way you write shows your education at some point.

I can´t stand seeing a manager or director, or someone with a high level in a company write with grammar mistakes. I was editor of a magazine at my previous job and could spot those very easily! My secretary learned very quickly to correct and find grammar mistakes before she had them printed. :animwink:

I disagree. Grammar, does in a way show your intelligence, but only in that field. I know alot of people who are the smartest "scientific" or "mathematic" people I know, and there garmmar is awful. That doesn't neccesarily make them unintelligent, though.

tybroid59

When I write with a pen and paper (remeber those things) I rarely make as many mistakes as when im on this keyboard.

It seems to have its own ideas of what I should write.............

Tramp

Originally posted by tenchu
It annoys me when people drop the 'u' in words like colour.

:lol:

yeah...you Brits write funny...humour should be humor!

ya know another one...a lot of people substitute an s for a z...as in REALIZE OR CRITICIZE..they write REALISE OR CRITICISE. I think the Brits are responsible for this one too. They've really messed up OUR language.:lol:

btw...I put a lot of ........ in my sentences here in the forum. I don't know where that came from cuz I don't write that way anywhere else...I think the Brits influenced me.:lol:

also, I sometimes still have trouble with my quotation marks, always did, probably always will...I wish some of the smart alec teachers like Duckie or Eeyore would please teach me this once and for all.:D

Yellow Shoes

Sort of a drift, but still a grammar pet peeve....

Every so often there is a thread re taking kids out of school to go to WDW.

It always gets super-heated, not unlike the current thread about pool hopping.

A common post is the parents who have the hostile attitude of "It's MY kid, and how
dare the school system require my child to actually attend school."

Call it coincidence, but these are the posts with painful grammar.

I really want to respond with something like, "Perhaps if you had been in school every day you could write better." :fork:

But instead I :zipit:

Tramp

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
Sort of a drift, but still a grammar pet peeve....

A common post is the parents who have the hostile attitude of "It's MY kid, and how
dare the school system require my child to actually attend school."

YES...those arguments ALWAYS get heated...and very few of these parents will admit that they want to travel during school time to avoid the heat and crowds of the summer...they always say, "It's an educational experience, they'll learn more going to Disney than being in school."...yeah RIGHT, duh, like they can't get that SAME educational experience in JULY?:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom