Grammar Pet Peeves

mwitkus

this isn't really grammar, but my mother uses the wrong words and it makes me crazy... for instance:

She is very "pacific" about where things go. Most normal people are very "specific", but not my mother! I usually tease her with a reply like "I'm very "Atlantic" about where things go." It makes her angry but it cracks me up!

tenchu

Originally posted by Tramp

yeah...you Brits write funny...humour should be humor!

ya know another one...a lot of people substitute an s for a z...as in REALIZE OR CRITICIZE..they write REALISE OR CRITICISE. I think the Brits are responsible for this one too. They've really messed up OUR language.:lol:

btw...I put a lot of ........ in my sentences here in the forum. I don't know where that came from cuz I don't write that way anywhere else...I think the Brits influenced me.:lol:

also, I sometimes still have trouble with my quotation marks, always did, probably always will...I wish some of the smart alec teachers like Duckie or Eeyore would please teach me this once and for all.:D

The English language has been bastardised far enough!

I'm making a stand for people to speak proper!

Down with americanizations!

(Or something like that.)

(And i really like the word 'bastardised')

:lol:

Invero

It's not a pet peeve of my own, but rather something I do, that I'm sure gets on someone else's nerve.

I am partially dyslexic... and the whole "I-E" and "E-I" just baffles me... for example, "Thier" and "Their"... to me, if it weren't for the spell checker, I couldn't tell you which was right and which was wrong. In fact, they both look identical to me.

Yellow Shoes

You know what, Boi--"their" and "thier" I can just attribute to bad typing.

It's misuse of "their" and "there" that makes me a little nutty.

They are 2 separate (you can remember how to spell this word because it has "a rat" in the middle) words with 2 distinct meanings.

It is akin to mis-using the words "dog" and "cat". (hey--they're both furry domestic animals--what's the difference???)

dopey

Originally posted by Yellow Shoes
mea culpa

mea culpa

mea maxima culpa

I cannot believe that I split an infinitive!

...and on a GRAMMAR thread.

A thousand apologies to fellow grammarians!!
:( :hammer: :eek:

Many grammarians say that rule no longer applies unless you're writing in Latin. So you're off the hook!

NowInc

Lets see...first off...I hate people who type without the required "." at the end of a sentance...

Or people who TyPE LiKE THiS....

but thats not really GRAMMER..its more like computer irks...

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by NowInc
Lets see...first off...I hate people who type without the required "." at the end of a sentance...

but thats not really GRAMMER..its more like computer irks...

I've been to "your" website, and trust me, the grammar probably bothered me less than anything! :eek: :lol:

Maria

It's misuse of "their" and "there" that makes me a little nutty.

They are 2 separate (you can remember how to spell this word because it has "a rat" in the middle) words with 2 distinct meanings.

It is akin to mis-using the words "dog" and "cat". (hey--they're both furry domestic animals--what's the difference???)

I know I said I was not going to post again on this thread so I don´t get attacked because of my grammar, but this one is a major one for me! ;)

"Their" and "There" are two different words with completely different meanings!!
Same applies with "Hear" and "Here" and I´ve noticed that this is one of the biggest mistakes people do when writing in English.

All those who make those mistakes, please take note... hehe :D :animwink:

dopey

A thousand thank yous .:)

No problem. :)

Good writing is fluid. A writer who breaks the rules, such as they are, and has a unique voice is better than a writer who is grammatically correct but dull.

I do a fair amount of editing others people's writing in my job and it's always refreshing to edit someone who writes like they speak, even if they commit such errors as ending sentences with prepositions.

That said, one thing that irks me is when people write "I believe" or "I think." Of course that's what you believe or think; that's why you're writing it! It's really just weak writing, but I think most of us are guilty of doing it. :)

DanStat

Original Poster
Originally posted by dopey

That said, one thing that irks me is when people write "I believe" or "I think." Of course that's what you believe or think; that's why you're writing it! It's really just weak writing, but I think most of us are guilty of doing it. :)

Hehehe....we talked about this today in Journalism......

She said something like "I believe" is too preachy, and people will read it and think "Fanatic".

She (our teacher) said she hates to read anything with "I think"...she says we should be more creative.

EDIT - - Ooops! I made a comma splice in my response, isn't that one of my pet peeves? ;)

DanStat

Original Poster
Originally posted by Maria

.....I´ve noticed that this is one of the biggest mistakes people do when writing in English......

That's sad. I don't understand why people do that.

But....some people still don't know their left hand from their right! :lol: ....but that's a whole different subject. :lol:

dopey

Originally posted by disneyprep50321

Hehehe....we talked about this today in Journalism......

She said something like "I believe" is too preachy, and people will read it and think "Fanatic".

She (our teacher) said she hates to read anything with "I think"...she says we should be more creative.

EDIT - - Ooops! I made a comma splice in my response, isn't that one of my pet peeves? ;)

Hey, a J-major! If you ever come to Chicago, I'll introduce you to my pal, Bob Greene! :eek:

Your journalism teacher is right. As a journalist, you should never think. :) You're kind of like a literary security guard: observe and report.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by dopey

Guilty, Guilty, Guilty! I often write "I think"or "I believe" when I should write "In my opinion." I guess I'm just trying to make a point that (despite what many people may think) I'm not infallible. ;)
And that was a joke! I am far from perfect...but at least I know it.

Yellow Shoes

Does anyone over the age of 15 do this??

I thought it was a jr high (excuse me, middle school) thing.

i Am AnXiOuS tO hEaR fRoM yOu.

(not only is it annoying to read, it is a pain to type)

Tramp

Does anyone over the age of 15 do this??

I thought it was a jr high (excuse me, middle school) thing.

i Am AnXiOuS tO hEaR fRoM yOu.

(not only is it annoying to read, it is a pain to type)

...LMAO....I can't read what is written when it's written like that. Drives me BaNaNaS:p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom