From the Press Event - New celebration to be called "What Will You Celebrate?"

DivineMadness7

sooooooo
they are basically celebrating nothing except the free pass.
The other stuff is just a basic sales pitch of things that already
are obtainable on your trip. Still will have to pay for them..
just a big commercial.
everything on that list has been doable for a long time.
Disney not being creative at all...

I love posts like this...they seem to totally disregard that Disney IS a business.

I'm happy to get any sort of announcement at all. They are a business and in case you haven't noticed, the economy is a total mess right now. The fact that they are announcing ANYTHING extra makes me happy. Sure, they may not be doing it without a few motives, but who cares? They need to make money or I won't be able to go there to enjoy my Dole Whip. I say keep making that money, so that they can continue to build rides and all the other things that some people seem to expect them to be able to do without any sort of new advertising or "sales pitches."

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I know one thing...this probably won't be another 16 month long celebration! Or a lot of people will get 2 birthdays in!!

vickyvale

The free birthday thing is very cool, but even cooler is that you can now go to Disney.com and get a list of different ways to 'celebrate' for birthdays, anniversaries, just for the heck of it, etc...

If anyone's tried to plan something special at Disney they know that it can be difficult to find all of your options - it's great that they're all now in one place.

Plus, I heart the new song!

llrain

its all good. I understand the aspect of advertising. They are things there that need a boost pretty much.
I guess to the general public, who are not as disney savvy as us on the boards who visit every other month, is huge to them and a cool concept. But to us its just another day in the world.

Kinda like to us it was cheesy to extend the million dreams, everyone was like cmon already end it....but to the public who is visiting for their first time ever they have a chance to partake because they are still celebrating it.

I love posts like this...they seem to totally disregard that Disney IS a business.

I'm happy to get any sort of announcement at all. They are a business and in case you haven't noticed, the economy is a total mess right now. The fact that they are announcing ANYTHING extra makes me happy. Sure, they may not be doing it without a few motives, but who cares? They need to make money or I won't be able to go there to enjoy my Dole Whip. I say keep making that money, so that they can continue to build rides and all the other things that some people seem to expect them to be able to do without any sort of new advertising or "sales pitches."

DisneyWall-E

So now that the YOAMD is coming to an end are they going to bring back the other soap and shampoo designs and the resort spacific mugs?

maryszhi

why couldnt they have had this for my sweet 16 :brick::cry::(
i hope they have a graduation one. i am graduating from hs this year
go class of '09 :)

imagineer boy

Well, I guess you can call me a "consumer" that's affected by "marketing ploys" then. I have no problem admitting that. Marketing is at the heart of all things Disney does, so what's the issue? Why has "marketing ploy" become this ugly phrase that no one wants to admit "buying into"?

Because its a cheap marketing ploy. Its no different than a car dealership throwing a "big special sale" every day of the year.

Given that you have almost 5,000 posts on a WDW forum, something tells me you've been "suckered" into Disney's marketing at some point, too.

Not really, I just get to Disney whenever I can regaurdless of what "celebration" is going on at the time.

You call it marketing, I call it new magic. But I have no problem admitting that I would like it no matter what name is attached.

You call it new magic, I call it crap.

Disney_Freak429

^^^*cough* working on the ringtone at least to put on Myxer it will be up tonight *cough* but I am guessing you will have to wait for the full song since we don't even know who sings it. (noted there also seems to be a male singer version & female singer version)

For the new folks reading a few things to catch you up
1) The gift is only for the EXACT DAY of your Birthday so you can't get it the week of or a day before/after ect.
2) You can pick from a one day/one park ticket, some fastpasses, or a fun card equal to a one day ticket price
3) All 3 of these things can only be used on your Birthday & will expire after that day
4) The one item you can pick up early is the ticket (up to 7 days) BUT it is still only good on your Birthday. The other items are only able to be picked up the day of your Birthday
5) The fun card has some limitations on where you can use it. (see a few pages back) But basicly no food/drink, some World Showcase places, & no non Disney shops at Downtown Disney (ex. Virgin,Rainforest,ect)
6) You MUST have a government issued ID or Passport. Any children must have their birth certificate or a noterized copy. You don't have one of these you are out of luck.

Anything else I will try to answer since I have read all these topics & others

JWG

I posted this somewhere on one of the other many threads on this topic.
This is a GREAT campaign. Sure, it's nothing new and innovative but it makes vacation planning a bit more simple, puts all the tools to plan for special events in one place and draws attention to all those tools that have existed but maybe weren't used.

It makes things simpler for the guest and markets items that will cost the guest more money if they use them. A win for Disney.

The free entry is the gimic, and it's not for far travelers, clearly Disney is appealing to the locals to help pick-up the slack of the faltering tourism market.

I like it. But, I'm going to be there for my birthday, so I guess I would.

Disney_Freak429

Just wanted to say that I put up the tones for the new theme if anyone liked it well enough to use it as a ringtone. I have to say besides more Stitch this has been some great stuff with the new DVC & now this.

pheneix

Anyone else find it kind of sad that Disney is now PAYING guests more to visit their parks than the cast members that work there? My how the mighty are falling...

tirian

sooooooo
they are basically celebrating nothing except the free pass.
The other stuff is just a basic sales pitch of things that already
are obtainable on your trip. Still will have to pay for them..
just a big commercial.
everything on that list has been doable for a long time.
Disney not being creative at all...

Funny. Many people—fans and Cast alike—would rather see a year or two without any celebrations at all, allowing Guests to enjoy the parks without needless clutter and silliness.

And a free giveaway worth $75 is better than "a basic sales pitch of things that [are] already obtainable."

2011/2012 will be the big years for WDW.

culturenthrills

I think the more interesting announcement that came out today according to mouseplanet.com is that starting in November SoCal DL passholders will be able to pay for their AP's over 12 months. I wonder if we will be getting that over here at WDW. It would make it alot easier for FL residents to get AP's if they did this. Universal and the Busch parks offer this. Mine and my wifes Universal and SW/BGT passes are paid for this way. We haven't been able to renew her WDW pass cause we simply don't have the $360 to drop right now on a pass but we could do it if it was spread out over 12 months. I guess we will see.

DivineMadness7

I think the more interesting announcement that came out today according to mouseplanet.com is that starting in November SoCal DL passholders will be able to pay for their AP's over 12 months. I wonder if we will be getting that over here at WDW. It would make it alot easier for FL residents to get AP's if they did this. Universal and the Busch parks offer this. Mine and my wifes Universal and SW/BGT passes are paid for this way. We haven't been able to renew her WDW pass cause we simply don't have the $360 to drop right now on a pass but we could do it if it was spread out over 12 months. I guess we will see.

Interesting. I bet it is likely a test at DL to see if it can be implemented at WDW. So is it only SoCal residents? (I just popped over to mouseplanet and couldn't find anything on this. Admittedly didn't look very long.) Personally, I like to pay for mine in bulk (on my disney visa!) instead of worrying about a new payment every month or even every 3. I'm sure the flexibility would help a lot of people, though.

DivineMadness7

Funny. Many people—fans and Cast alike—would rather see a year or two without any celebrations at all, allowing Guests to enjoy the parks without needless clutter and silliness.

I've never found the celebrations to cause any clutter or silliness? :shrug: (Well, ok, the cake castle was a bit silly...but other than that) All companies have ad campaigns, why can't Disney? There are some special banners and decorations, they give away some free stuff, everyone is happy, what is the big deal here? I doubt those who have won a night's stay in the castle consider it to be silly.

xjrr

Could I receive a free ticket on my birthday for Disney World, and a free ticket on my birthday for Disney Land as well?

I might have to do that if I can.

Susan Savia

Why not make the Free ticket good for the month of your birthday, not just that day? My sons birthday is in February and although we usually go in the month of February (next trip is January), we are never there on the actual day. This way if he has a ticket for a free day we can attach it to our time there on vacation.

Next Trip - January 2009

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom