From the Press Event - New celebration to be called "What Will You Celebrate?"

EPCOT Explorer

I made the mistake of perusing the WWYC? website. I'm afraid my mind is being gradually assimilated into the joy and wonder. I feel the need to celebrate. I feel the powers of the Great White Witch of Marketing enticing me with all manner of delightful pleasures. I - must - plan - my - next - trip. PLEASE HEELLLP meeeeeee ..........
:lol:

Embrace your inner Disney nerd!:lol:

jt04

I made the mistake of perusing the WWYC? website. I'm afraid my mind is being gradually assimilated into the joy and wonder. I feel the need to celebrate. I feel the powers of the Great White Witch of Marketing enticing me with all manner of delightful pleasures. I - must - plan - my - next - trip. PLEASE HEELLLP meeeeeee ..........

Resistance is futile :lookaroun

hokielutz

I dunno.... this promotion is not something that overly excites me. It might if I visit Disney a little more regularly on my Birthday. As with the Dreams.... the idea will have to grow on me a little bit before I can get sucked in. I still love Disney, but sometimes their promotions make you scratch your head.

Main Street USA

Because its a cheap marketing ploy. Its no different than a car dealership throwing a "big special sale" every day of the year.

Not really, I just get to Disney whenever I can regaurdless of what "celebration" is going on at the time.

You call it new magic, I call it crap.
My god...then IGNORE IT. Don't come down for it! The rest of us will enjoy it while you and the other complainers sit at home.

Your attitude is so typical these days. You always want something free to be handed to you, and then when something free finally IS handed to you, you want MORE free stuff! Ugh.

Captain Hank

Everyone has a birthday, so by making the freebie available on one's birthday, they effectively reached the entire population (besides those Feb 29 oddballs) without overly complicating the whole promotion.
Actually, they've thought of them, too. Guests who were born on February 29 are entitled to their choice of birthday celebration perks on either February 28th or March 1.

DivineMadness7

You get nothing for your anniversary, graduation, etc. because you can't easily prove these dates. Your birthday is on your driver's license and birth certificate, items most people have. While you could bring in your marriage license or diploma, that's really convoluting the process even more, and Disney would need a 25 page FAQ for the 95% of the population that can't draw inferences. Disney would also be inundated with complaints and questions by the 99% of that 95% that wouldn't read the FAQ, and would just expect Disney to accommodate them. Everyone has a birthday, so by making the freebie available on one's birthday, they effectively reached the entire population (besides those Feb 29 oddballs) without overly complicating the whole promotion.

Even with keeping it simple, as others have pointed out, there will still be a lot of people who don't get it.

Excellent post. Clearly some people ALREADY don't get it. There is no way they could check things like graduations, anniversaries, etc and I think it's a bit ridiculous that people expect them to do this. The CMs wouldn't have time to do anything else because all of their time would be spent on this. "Sorry, I can't help the lost child find his parents, I need to check all of these diplomas first, before this angry mob demanding free tickets attacks me."

No, you shouldn't get a free ticket for the MONTH of your birthday. They would be giving away many, many more tickets and gift cards. The idea is to celebrate the DAY OF YOUR ACTUAL BIRTHDAY in the parks. It is birthDAY, not birthMONTH. It is a promotion and not a guarantee. You are not entitled to this. Then again, these are likely the same people who insist on wearing their "birthday button" on their trip that is 3 months after their actual birthday, in the hope of getting something free, so I'm not sure why I'm even surprised :rolleyes:

BruceWayne

I think this will be a great way for many people to celebrate something special in their lives.

Most people forget that in the early days of the Disney parks, particularly Disneyland, there were "themed" celebrations every year. Some of them were much worse than what's been coming out recently, so I don't see why people are complaining. I enjoy the celebrations...they never really affect my vacation one way or the other but it's fun none the less.

WildLodgeFan

-evil cackle- "I've got you now, my pretty!"

Sorry, the marketer in me couldn't resist. :ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

WildLodgeFan

So you can't really schedule any of this online while you're booking, am I right??? Also, you can't individually pick the park passes, so you can't get the 'free' day online either....The lack of online convenience dissappoints me, I guess...When are they going to get reservations and a more individual experience online??? Or am I just missing something? :shrug:

Disney is in the process of working on implementing online reservations for dining and other entertainment options. If you look at the WWYC webpages, you will see that they way they have the options laid out, that it's really set up for an online reservation system, it's just not fully implemented yet.

mpaul32001

Resistance is futile :lookaroun

Here's a pic to go with that. :)

seven1.jpg

Senderella

As I've just read pretty much the whole thread (all 14 pages!) and a couple of people have asked this but don't seem to have got a reply, I will ask again...

What do you get for anniversaries?

My 3rd anniversary and my 25th birthday are both in March '09 but at opposite ends of the month so it's extremely unlikely that I will be there for both (esp as we're flying in from the UK!). I just want to keep my options open for which even I want to celebrate!

Anyone know what they have for your anniversary?

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but on DisneyParks.com you can navigate to a page that lists all sorts of add ons you can purchase. Room celebrations, Sweetheart dinner for 2, arrangements etc, etc etc etc. Nothing free for anything other than birthdays it looks like.

LOL So could this celebration be dubbed "The Year of A Million Add Ons"? :hammer:

tirian

I've never found the celebrations to cause any clutter or silliness? :shrug: (Well, ok, the cake castle was a bit silly...but other than that) All companies have ad campaigns, why can't Disney? There are some special banners and decorations, they give away some free stuff, everyone is happy, what is the big deal here? I doubt those who have won a night's stay in the castle consider it to be silly.

Some people don't like the campaigns because they feel that the Disney parks are magical enough without them.

Now that Disney's "campaign" basically celebrates the magic that's already there, people are complaining it's not enough.

:hammer:

Meanwhile, in the rest of the real world, important things are happening that have nothing to do with a group of theme parks in one state... :lol:

JWG

LOL So could this celebration be dubbed "The Year of A Million Add Ons"? :hammer:

Welcome to the new world of ala carte service provision. Just like the airlines:
  • Ticket for the plane - $300
  • Ticket for your bag - $25
  • Select your seat ahead of check-in - $5
  • Want a good seat - $15
  • Want a snack - $5
  • Want real food - $10
  • Want a beverage - $2
  • Need a bathroom - $2 (ok, this one is made up.... for now)
Disney is doing the same, you can still get what you always got, but now they're making it easy to add-on services and spend more money with less hassle. We'll see it everywhere as all organizations try to figure out getting add-on sales.

DivineMadness7

Some people don't like the campaigns because they feel that the Disney parks are magical enough without them.

Now that Disney's "campaign" basically celebrates the magic that's already there, people are complaining it's not enough.

:hammer:

Meanwhile, in the rest of the real world, important things are happening that have nothing to do with a group of theme parks in one state... :lol:

You mentioned earlier that those people were cast members and frequent guests? These campaigns aren't designed for those people...they are designed for people who have never been or rarely go. For those who are already addicted (ie: us) we don't need extra incentives to go to WDW. We are aware that it is campaign after campaign but the general public does not. "Oooh look, Disney World is running a special promotion!" And they TRULY BELIEVE IT IS SPECIAL. They don't pay as much attention as we do, to know that this promotion followed a previous one and a previous one and a....

DivineMadness7

Welcome to the new world of ala carte service provision. Just like the airlines:
  • Ticket for the plane - $300
  • Ticket for your bag - $25
  • Select your seat ahead of check-in - $5
  • Want a good seat - $15
  • Want a snack - $5
  • Want real food - $10
  • Want a beverage - $2
  • Need a bathroom - $2 (ok, this one is made up.... for now)
Disney is doing the same, you can still get what you always got, but now they're making it easy to add-on services and spend more money with less hassle. We'll see it everywhere as all organizations try to figure out getting add-on sales.

Not ALL airlines. Fly Southwest :wave:

imagineer boy

My god...then IGNORE IT. Don't come down for it! The rest of us will enjoy it while you and the other complainers sit at home.

Oh I'm so sorry for expressing my opinion. I should've known better.:(

Your attitude is so typical these days. You always want something free to be handed to you, and then when something free finally IS handed to you, you want MORE free stuff! Ugh.

Only if its your birthday...

Keyda

I think it is kind of cool and fun. Everyone is starting to get me depressed. Can't you guys just enjoy something for free. I know everyone can't be there on their birthday but come on it is cool.

tirian

I think it is kind of cool and fun. Everyone is starting to get me depressed. Can't you guys just enjoy something for free. I know everyone can't be there on their birthday but come on it is cool.

Don't be depressed. Take your frown, turn it upside down, and find your laughing place.

A week from now, nobody will care about this thread anymore. :animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom