From the Press Event - New celebration to be called "What Will You Celebrate?"

wannab@dis

We also won't be able to take advantage of it. That doesn't mean we weren't thrilled as heck listening to the announcement today and considering the other implications it will have. Heck, watching the TV ad made me tear up a little!

Those who complain that it's not a new ride--is that all you do at Walt Disney World? This new celebration brings new entertainment options, new overlays in the parks--all sorts of new things!

As for there not being a "big" enough announcement? Phh. With the DVC announcements and this announcement, this has been one of the most exciting weeks concerning Disney news in a while!
So True!

Of course, I am tempted to schedule a quick weekend trip for one of our kids' birthday. It would be very cool to watch them shopping and spending their $75 on whatever they wanted! :D

Probably won't happen, but if we came across a nice cheap airline ticket, it would be very tempting. I bet there are a lot of others that feel the same way. This little treat could be something that knocks someone off the fence and in the gate. Exactly what it was meant to do.

imagineer boy

Those who complain that it's not a new ride--is that all you do at Walt Disney World? This new celebration brings new entertainment options, new overlays in the parks--all sorts of new things!

Actually those things bring the celebrations, the celebrations don't bring them. They're called marketing ploys.

EPCOT Explorer

We also won't be able to take advantage of it. That doesn't mean we weren't thrilled as heck listening to the announcement today and considering the other implications it will have. Heck, watching the TV ad made me tear up a little!

As for there not being a "big" enough announcement? Phh. With the DVC announcements and this announcement, this has been one of the most exciting weeks concerning Disney news in a while!

TV Ad?Where?

Linky if ya got it please.:D

Shaman

So True!

Of course, I am tempted to schedule a quick weekend trip for one of our kids' birthday. It would be very cool to watch them shopping and spending their $75 on whatever they wanted! :D

Probably won't happen, but if we came across a nice cheap airline ticket, it would be very tempting. I bet there are a lot of others that feel the same way. This little treat could be something that knocks someone off the fence and in the gate. Exactly what it was meant to do.

I agree...I think this is very smart on Disney's part...and it will probably be something the other companies take a look at.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Second... about the announcement. Anyone dissappointed has only themselves to blame. Nothing was ever hinted at BY DISNEY except a new way to celebrate. Anything else was pure speculation by those that wanted more.

!

You hit the nail on the head there! The Internet whips people up into a frenzy, often based on pure speculation without anything to back it up. Then they get mad when things dont go the way they want.

DABIGCHEEZ

Interesting - you'll be able to book characters!

CREATING MEMORIES – During “What Will You Celebrate?” at Disney Parks, world-famous characters are always part of the fun at Disney Parks. Each character sets a magical tone, creating even more smiles and memories as children of all ages see fantasies come true and discover worlds of fun at Disney Parks. Special character experiences may be booked at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resorts.</SPAN>

Having not read all the pages here... I will say this was always available for $$$$$... about $750/ half-hour. So I am sure you can still book special characters.... just open up that wallet!!!!!

EPCOT Explorer

I just visited the Disney Website to read up...LOVE THIS.The Balloon idea is ingenious...Finally a "real" celebration...Not one rooted in "Dreams" "Magic" "Pixidust" and the usual slew of overdone Disney stuff...Well done Disney.
:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

I REALLY hope I get to see this!

the-reason14

I didnt read all of it, but does it say you have to present some i.d. for the birthdays? I assume so, but I know that a lot of people celebrate their Bdays on different days then their actually Bday. I know me, mine is in July, during the time we always go, but in recent years we would arrive at wdw a few days after. And when you look at it, the whole trip could be a Bday present, so it should be possible to celebrate it on another day in July.

discman

Its Kinda funny because i couldve sworn that disneyfan89 in an earlier thread spoke about this and people werent TOO convinced.....hmmmmmm

EPCOT Explorer

You hit the nail on the head there! The Internet whips people up into a frenzy, often based on pure speculation without anything to back it up. Then they get mad when things dont go the way they want.

It was the same for the YOAMD...And I don't know why but WWYC? seems SO much more well done...The website is giving me goosebumps!:eek:

Makes me wanna go BAD.:D

DABIGCHEEZ

I haven't read all the replies, so this may have been addressed already, but...

The concept of getting in for free on your birthday seems like it would only appeal to one day visitors...or two day visitors. Mostly locals, who may like the idea of taking a day off work on their birthday and spending it at the Magic Kingdom for free. But for people who are coming from far away for a vacation, what kind of savings does this really mean? Very minimal.

For example, let's say that my wife and I decided to go in the spring, in late March, and we will be there for her birthday on March 24. If we are staying for 8 days, then she will just have to buy a 7 day ticket, since she will get in free on her birthday. But if she didn't get in free, and she got an 8 day ticket instead, how much extra would she be spending? I honestly can't remember because I don't know right off hand how much tickets cost, or what the per day amount is for those tickets. But I do know that the difference between a 7 day and an 8 day ticket is probably not much more than 10 bucks.

So as a birthday present, we will save around 10 bucks. Whoop dee dee. :rolleyes:

I know, 10 bucks is 10 bucks and a penny saved is a penny earned and all that. And I certainly won't complain about saving 10 bucks while I can. But on the other hand, it's hardly worth getting excited about either.

I am with you here.....not a broad based discount for everyone. My wife and I decided when we returned from this ears trip.... to skip visiting WDW next year..... with this new gimmic... we will be celebrating NOT going down there in August.:sohappy:
Again.. I am still trudging through all the pages here....... but I beleive the cost difference in 7 & 8 days is less than $10..... only $3 or $4 I think....Now say WHOOP DEE DEE... LOUDER!!!

Edit...... after completing(sort of) the thread ... I see the option of the $75 fun card.. which is a neat option. However still it is only good if you can get there on your birthday.

DABIGCHEEZ

I really like that they've addressed AP holders by giving us a gift card in the amount of a day's admission. I don't know why anyone would be negative towards the idea - I mean, $72 in free merch as a birthday gift to me? Heck yeah! (I get excited when I get a free dessert on my birthday from wearing the birthday button.)

!:lol:

Think about us DVC members, the majority of which spend just as much as the AP holder if not more, and can't get down there on our birthdays.

WDWFigment

Actually those things bring the celebrations, the celebrations don't bring them. They're called marketing ploys.

Well, I guess you can call me a "consumer" that's affected by "marketing ploys" then. I have no problem admitting that. Marketing is at the heart of all things Disney does, so what's the issue? Why has "marketing ploy" become this ugly phrase that no one wants to admit "buying into"? Given that you have almost 5,000 posts on a WDW forum, something tells me you've been "suckered" into Disney's marketing at some point, too.

You call it marketing, I call it new magic. But I have no problem admitting that I would like it no matter what name is attached.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
So True!

Exactly... [as I said in another thread] I have been on the fence about a post Turkey Day trip (my b-day)... for the past couple of months. If this promotion were active this fall... I would totally go now. So yeah... it that aspect... it works. :king:

EPCOT Explorer

Well, I guess you can call me a "consumer" that's affected by "marketing ploys" then. I have no problem admitting that. Marketing is at the heart of all things Disney does, so what's the issue? Why has "marketing ploy" become this ugly phrase that no one wants to admit "buying into"? Given that you have almost 5,000 posts on a WDW forum, something tells me you've been "suckered" into Disney's marketing at some point, too.

You call it marketing, I call it new magic. But I have no problem admitting that I would like it no matter what name is attached.
Agreed.

Although I wished that they would hold out for the 40th...This is a pretty good place holder...Maybe in 2010 we can have a unthemed year to make the 40th -2011- so much more magical.

llrain

sooooooo
they are basically celebrating nothing except the free pass.
The other stuff is just a basic sales pitch of things that already
are obtainable on your trip. Still will have to pay for them..
just a big commercial.
everything on that list has been doable for a long time.
Disney not being creative at all...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom