From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveeeeed

The signs say "no swimming," not "do not even touch the water with your big toe." There IS room open for interpretation. The fact is that they WERENT actually swimming. And if you thinking walking in 1-2 inches of water is swimming, please come over and "swim" in the pool in my driveway after a heavy rain.

Also, can you honestly say you've never broken a rule in your life? You've never - not once - drive even 1 mph over the speed limit? If you were to be killed in a car accident tomorrow doing 71mph in a 70mph zone, would you hope the Internet is smearing your name, "well, he DID break the rules."
It is terrible what the family is going through and how that innocent baby lost its life, but I completely agree with you on interpretation. It is completely different if it wasn't a beach, but even if there wasn't a beach there should be signs (like at the shades of green across the street) that there are alligators when Disney knew that there were. I wish it didn't come to a child losing his life. I really do think the child might have been spared if Disney had signage, and if a cast member saw him then they would have enforced the rule. Can't go back now sadly, I will definitely pray for the child and his family tonight, and I hope all of you will do the same.

Cletus

I personally have a hard time believing some in this thread. If you can't come to terms with what actually happened here then there isn't much hope left. Quit blaming this side or that side, as it's pretty irrelevant in the big scheme of things. I find it hard to believe that if you were face to face with that family that you would come across so cold to them. The whole "internet tough guy" mentality is getting really hard to take.

Compassion....look it up.

Goofnut1980

Is there any confirmation about how big the gator was? I mean he is a small child but isn't he also kind of big for a 4 footer to drag? Let alone keep grasp while the father wrestled him.

My reply I am about to say is no way meant to be mean or unsympathetic. But if a wild gator got hold of a 2 year old. How would they find the body intact like the news states today about 10 feet out. I'm confused. I have seen a gator shred a chicken before.

oceanbreeze77

My reply I am about to say is no way meant to be mean or unsympathetic. But if a wild gator got hold of a 2 year old. How would they find the body intact like the news states today about 10 feet out. I'm confused. I have seen a gator shred a chicken before.
I know it sounds horrible but I agree. Im glad the family did not have to hear the horror of a shredded up body but when the Policeman said "the body was fully intact" I was almost shocked.

Daveeeeed

Gators tend to drown their pray before they eat it, the father might have scared the gator though so it gave up, and the kid being injured probably drowned that way. It's horribly tragic no doubt what has happened. I heard that the family was relieved that the child's body was found intact. God bless them!

21stamps

I have a question-

Can anyone tell me why you need to blame someone? Honestly, it's a sincere question.

There are not any "barracuda" or "shark" or "stingray" signs at the beach.. There can't be a sign for everything. Especially in a state like Florida. And even less of a reason to when the chance of an alligator attack is less than 1 in over 2 million.

Sometimes things happen where blame can not be placed on any side. Why is that so tough to accept?

The Mom

Premium Member
I have a question-

Can anyone tell me why you need to blame someone? Honestly, it's a sincere question.

There are not any "barracuda" or "shark" or "stingray" signs at the beach.. There can't be a sign for everything. Especially in a state like Florida. And even less of a reason to when the chance of an alligator attack is less than 1 in over 2 million.

Sometimes things happen where blame can not be placed on any side. Why is that so tough to accept?

Because people want to find a reason to believe that it can't happen to them.

ParentsOf4

When a business invites someone onto its property to conduct commerce, that business has the highest legal obligation to make sure that its facilities are as safe as possible.

Disney does not simply have a legal duty to warn people. It also has a legal duty to protect them from all knowable dangers. Does Disney know that it has alligators within feet of where people walk, with no protective barrier between them? Of course. As @Incomudro pointed out, this is a white sands beach with beach chairs and a movie night. Disney is inviting its Guests to this shore. Disney knows alligators exist in the Seven Seas Lagoon. A posted "No swimming" sign in no way reduces Disney's obligation not only to warn but also to protect. Legally, Disney doesn’t stand a chance on this one.

Beyond the law, Disney wants to show compassion for this horrific tragedy. Disney does not want to litigate this. Disney almost certainly will settle long before this ever sees the inside of a courtroom.

Daniel Johnson

But what if someone doesn't know what the colors mean? What if they aren't from the area. I'm being facetious.

But that's only when they spot something right? So if an attack happens when they don't see a shark, we don't expect to sue.
Every time we go to the beach I see "flag legends"...but it isn't like there are flags every 5 feet.
And no. You don't sue mother nature at the beach do you?

Last edited:

21stamps

When a business invites someone onto its property to conduct commerce, that business has the highest legal obligation to make sure that its facilities are as safe as possible.

Disney does not simply have a legal duty to warn people. It also has a legal duty to protect them from all knowable dangers. Does Disney know that it has alligators within feet of where people walk, with no protective barrier between them? Of course. As @Incomudro pointed out, this is a white sands beach with beach chairs and a movie night. Disney is inviting its Guests to this shore. Disney knows alligators exist in the Seven Seas Lagoon. A posted "No swimming" sign in no way reduces Disney's obligation not only to warn but also to protect. Legally, Disney doesn’t stand a chance on this one.

Beyond the law, Disney wants to show compassion for this horrific tragedy. Disney does not want to litigate this. Disney almost certainly will settle long before this ever sees the inside of a courtroom.
I'm going to stick with my gut and say the parents won't take it that far.

There's no cause for a lawsuit. From what's been said they sound like decent people, so I don't think one will happen.

HouseHacker97

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/opini...nny-cevallos1015PMVODtopPhoto&linkId=25587412

In Palumbo v Game & Fresh Water Fish Com'n, the court held that when it comes to alligator attacks, a swimmer's disregard of "No Swimming" and other warning signs were the sole cause of the serious injuries.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/1986839487So2d352_1752/PALUMBO v. GAME & FRESH WATER FISH COM'N

DisneyPrincess5

This tragedy has been hard to believe as a true reality all day long, but it really hits hard now that the boy's photo is out. Putting a face and a soul to the events really make you stop and think. Bless his family, truly and deeply.

Clamman73

Pardon my ignorance, but I wonder if the placement and frequency of signs is something Disney does on their own, or was there a risk assessment by the underwriter who put forth recommendations?

Lucky

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/opini...nny-cevallos1015PMVODtopPhoto&linkId=25587412

In Palumbo v Game & Fresh Water Fish Com'n, the court held that when it comes to alligator attacks, a swimmer's disregard of "No Swimming" and other warning signs were the sole cause of the serious injuries.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/1986839487So2d352_1752/PALUMBO v. GAME & FRESH WATER FISH COM'N
In that case there was an actual swimmer, and there were not only "no swimming" signs but also numerous signs specifically referring to alligators.

That's what's great about the Internet: An 18 year old boy can be an expert on parenting, on the law, and make up his own facts about what actually happened.

oceanbreeze77

This is in no way blaming disney but TBH Im actually a little surprised they were able to be on the beach that late. Im sure that you've been allowed to for decades but even living in california our resort beaches close at a certain hour, same with mexico, even some in hawaii, etc. There is a reason for that and I would have though that disney, being the pre-cautious company that they usually are, would have something like that too. But then again no one ever expected a situation like this.

21stamps

Pardon my ignorance, but I wonder if the placement and frequency of signs is something Disney does on their own, or was there a risk assessment by the underwriter who put forth recommendations?

I know people want to focus on the signage, but you just can't. It is unrealistic to think every hotel, business, park, and beach in Florida can warn people about every possible wildlife that MAY harm a human. It's just not possible. I mean I guess it is, but like I said, you'd be bumping your head on a sign every 2 feet.

The fact is - alligator attacks are rare. So extremely rare. Yes sometimes people get injured and sometime killed- but they are still so rare. I'm not saying to stop your car and have a picnic on the side of Alligator Alley. But to happen while you're at any hotel, not just Disney, is seriously about as slim of chance as you can get. Sadly, that slim chance happened to this poor family. But it doesn't mean that everyone who visits will also be attacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom