From the OS: Gator drags child into Seven Seas Lagoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

s8film40

We have sharks here in California but you won't really see "Warning Sharks." You see "Swimming not permitted" "Keep out of Water" but we know there are sharks here. the only time you'll see that is during peak season and when there is a sighting close to shore. But they close the beach for that
Sharks can't come out of the water and onto the shore.

tirian

When a business invites someone onto its property to conduct commerce, that business has the highest legal obligation to make sure that its facilities are as safe as possible.

Disney does not simply have a legal duty to warn people. It also has a legal duty to protect them from all knowable dangers. Does Disney know that it has alligators within feet of where people walk, with no protective barrier between them? Of course. As @Incomudro pointed out, this is a white sands beach with beach chairs and a movie night. Disney is inviting its Guests to this shore. Disney knows alligators exist in the Seven Seas Lagoon. A posted "No swimming" sign in no way reduces Disney's obligation not only to warn but also to protect. Legally, Disney doesn’t stand a chance on this one.

Beyond the law, Disney wants to show compassion for this horrific tragedy. Disney does not want to litigate this. Disney almost certainly will settle long before this ever sees the inside of a courtroom.
Alligators swim around the Rivers of America all the time. Disney doesn't remove the critters until they reach 3–4 feet in length, and Disney relies on their natural instincts to avoid the logs floating through Splash Mountain. Occasionally, a gator somehow gets into the Splash flume, and the ride goes 101.

HouseHacker97

Sharks can't come out of the water and onto the shore.

The gator didn't come out of the water either. The point is that this is Florida and everyone knows (or really should know) that gators can be found everywhere. Has anyone else seen the statistics on the rarity of this? the chances are 1 in 2.4 million. No one expected this to happen and its certainly the first time at Disney. The signs forbid guests from swimming and feeding the animals.

me_stitch

Premium Member
I was just watching Wishes on Periscope and I'm just shaking my head at all the people making gator jokes, at least the guy is blocking them all. How can people be so insensitive.

oceanbreeze77

I was just watching Wishes on Periscope and I'm just shaking my head at all the people making gator jokes, at least the guy is blocking them all. How can people be so insensitive.
While joking can be insensitive it is a coping mechanism. Lightens the mood and personality after something horrible. I was looking at the FB of the brother of a victim from the attack on sunday and he was cracking jokes left and right, but thats what helped him.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
We have sharks here in California but you won't really see "Warning Sharks." You see "Swimming not permitted" "Keep out of Water" but we know there are sharks here. the only time you'll see that is during peak season and when there is a sighting close to shore. But they close the beach for that

I've seen Great White Shark warning signs on the cliffs of Tamalas Bay in Marin County while hiking with my parents. Thought that signs on the cliffs above the beach were a little strange... made me think of the old land shark routine from SNL..... "Dad, the shark's going to get us up here on the cliff?!"

21stamps

The gator didn't come out of the water either. The point is that this is Florida and everyone knows (or really should know) that gators can be found everywhere. Has anyone else seen the statistics on the rarity of this? the chances are 1 in 2.4 million. No one expected this to happen and its certainly the first time at Disney. The signs forbid guests from swimming and feeding the animals.
Thank you.

Let's just show some realism here please, if you are at any resort in Florida you could possibly get attacked by a gator a croc or a snake. If you're in the Keys you may even get stung by a scorpion, but luckily that won't kill you.

The point is- it could happen anywhere. It's tragic, but it isn't the fault of any establishment, regardless of Disney World, a Waldorf, or a Motel 6. And you won't see warning signs at any of these- because as the poster above said, the chance of any of that happening is so amazingly slim.

me_stitch

Premium Member
Alligators swim around the Rivers of America all the time. Disney doesn't remove the critters until they reach 3–4 feet in length, and Disney relies on their natural instincts to avoid the logs floating through Splash Mountain. Occasionally, a gator somehow gets into the Splash flume, and the ride goes 101.
just search splash mountain gator on you tube, I can't believe they are that close to a ride.

oceanbreeze77

That's ridiculous. Those heartless people!!!:mad:
Again while some jokes can be insensitive many people just want to lighten the gloom. I wouldn't say its completely heartless, I mean were not supposed to go places and be all sad like "oh yah, this bad thing happened here."

Mat Cauthon

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sh...ck-at-disney-hotel/ar-AAh40fF?ocid=spartandhp
This article from the OS I found on MSN says posted 5 hrs ago. I hope this line in particular makes a lot people on here rethink their argument.
The family was sitting near the water, not swimming or wading in it, officials said.
This quote seems to end all speculation he was even slightly in the water and the parents were not observing the no swimming signs. Can we now please move on from the "what horrible parents they are for allowing a toddler to swim in alligator infested waters at night" theory.

tirian

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sh...ck-at-disney-hotel/ar-AAh40fF?ocid=spartandhp
This article from the OS I found on MSN says posted 5 hrs ago. I hope this line in particular makes a lot people on here rethink their argument.

This quote seems to end all speculation he was even slightly in the water and the parents were not observing the no swimming signs. Can we now please move on from the "what horrible parents they are for allowing a toddler to swim in alligator infested waters at night" theory.
It's just like little kids *never* run away from their parents in zoos or anywhere else.

The Internet is full of ignorant people with unwanted and uneducated opinions.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I think your point would work for most situations, particularly like public lakes and things like that. Sharks are a reasonably foreseeable risk of going into the water at the beach, as are gators in most public lakes and parks in Florida. What I am not certain of is whether you would hold this family to the same standard in what could be viewed as an extension of a theme park, or a synthetic environment. A white sand beach on a lake in Florida strikes me as very synthetic. I guess I expect beachgoers to understand that they are taking risks more than I would someone who is in WDW on a beach after a kids movie night. Reasonable minds may differ.

JohnD

While joking can be insensitive it is a coping mechanism. Lightens the mood and personality after something horrible. I was looking at the FB of the brother of a victim from the attack on sunday and he was cracking jokes left and right, but thats what helped him.

That's exactly what they're doing. I friend of mine who is on vacation there right now with his family posted on FB that there is a palpable pall at WDW right now. First the terrorist attack and now this. Every. Single. Guest at WDW knows about the gator attack and is under the cloud of the terrorist atrack. The magic is shaken. They're finding ways to cope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom